The Student Room Group

Graduate schemes with a third class degree

Does anyone know of any graduate schemes with a third class degree ?

Before you say I should have worked harder. I wish I did (I was on record to have a 2:2 in the summer of my second year) but I had so many ups and downs through university, I was attacked, I was still trying to cope after my mothers death which was in 2007. Also in the summer for my second year my father was diagnosed with cancer. He he also passed away when it was freshers week of my third year. So during my final year, I was forced out of my own home, I had to fight for certain things and some friends weren't a lot of help either. So before anyone says I should have worked harder please don't. In the circumstances I did the best I could.

So like I said the question is; is there any third class graduate schemes in north of England ?

Thank you.
I don't know of any, and have no desire to look. Honestly, if any would consider you a competitive applicant they are unlikely to be any better than other entry level jobs.

It is worth remembering that many people begin very successful careers without joining a grad scheme, so don't feel deflated if you don't secure a place. You can also consider taking some additional qualifications that would be applicable to the field(s) that interest you.
Have you considered retaking a year of university to improve your grades?
Reply 3
Could you maybe let your University know about your father's demise and apply for exceptional circumstances/re appeal because of your father's death.Maybe your University might reconsider your qualification and allow you resit some
modules to pull your grades up?
Check these sites, might help:

http://jobs.trovit.co.uk/3rd-class-degree-graduate-jobs
http://www.jobsite.co.uk/hobsons_articles/get_a_job.html
Reply 4
Original post by MathsAndCoffee
Have you considered retaking a year of university to improve your grades?

The uni wouldn't let me retake any modules unfrortuantly, because of me having to re take my first year, sounds bad but I failed a couple of modules because they were algebra based modules and I had never done them before, and when resits were, I was actually going on a family holiday. But then it was fate because it was the last family holiday I had with my father. I pulled through as much as I could because I was going to get a 2:2. But obviously when stuff happened it brought it down.
Reply 5
Original post by Vanny17
Could you maybe let your University know about your father's demise and apply for exceptional circumstances/re appeal because of your father's death.Maybe your University might reconsider your qualification and allow you resit some
modules to pull your grades up?
Check these sites, might help:

http://jobs.trovit.co.uk/3rd-class-degree-graduate-jobs
http://www.jobsite.co.uk/hobsons_articles/get_a_job.html

The uni already knew what I was going though but some of the lecturers were really harsh to me about giving me extra time etc and I hardly did ask for extra time on assignments, but when I did, I had to explain everything even though it was on my records. Some lectures were great help and very leniant, I was getting over 60% in a lot of modules but then the other ones that gave me 30% were the harsh ones that clearly didn't care. I didn't get that much extra help either. I know a few students that had gone through not a bad of a situation as me and got more help. So I don't really want to contact the uni.

Thank you for the link :smile: I will defiantly check it out :smile:
I'm afraid I don't but congratulations for completing your degree.

As you're intelligent, you may be able to still get a good job (not on a graduate scheme) and work your way up. It might take a bit longer to work your way up, but it's not impossible.
Reply 7
Original post by Pinklady93
The uni already knew what I was going though but some of the lecturers were really harsh to me about giving me extra time etc and I hardly did ask for extra time on assignments, but when I did, I had to explain everything even though it was on my records. Some lectures were great help and very leniant, I was getting over 60% in a lot of modules but then the other ones that gave me 30% were the harsh ones that clearly didn't care. I didn't get that much extra help either. I know a few students that had gone through not a bad of a situation as me and got more help. So I don't really want to contact the uni.

Thank you for the link :smile: I will defiantly check it out :smile:

Wow, that's horrible. Not a good way to treat people at all. Don't worry Op, there's always light at the end of the tunnel. Keep trying your best, and all will turn out for your good. And well done for getting this far! Degree classifications are not everything in life. There are many people without degrees that have made it in life, so keep going Op! You're welcome, I hope everything works out well for you. Happy New Year! and God bless! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Before you say I should have worked harder. I wish I did (I was on record to have a 2:2 in the summer of my second year) but I had so many ups and downs through university, I was attacked, I was still trying to cope after my mothers death which was in 2007. Also in the summer for my second year my father was diagnosed with cancer. He he also passed away when it was freshers week of my third year. So during my final year, I was forced out of my own home, I had to fight for certain things and some friends weren't a lot of help either. So before anyone says I should have worked harder please don't. In the circumstances I did the best I could.

So like I said the question is; is there any third class graduate schemes in north of England ?

Thank you.

Deloitee has a university-blind scheme that contextualises your application. Might be worth a shot:

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/press-releases/articles/largest-british-business-to-adopt-contextualised-recruitment.html
Original post by ByronicHero
I don't know of any, and have no desire to look. Honestly, if any would consider you a competitive applicant they are unlikely to be any better than other entry level jobs.

It is worth remembering that many people begin very successful careers without joining a grad scheme, so don't feel deflated if you don't secure a place. You can also consider taking some additional qualifications that would be applicable to the field(s) that interest you.

OP the above is good advice. Don't limit yourself to grad schemes. There are many paths to success. More important is what you would like to do. There is this thing called 'strategic job hopping' where some change jobs after less than 2 years in any particular company. Some companies look on this favourably on such applicants if they can show that they moved in order to learn new skills and they are good at what they do. In a way, the applicants have done their own 'training scheme' in changing jobs. Grad schemes are often for people who don't know what they want and use it to explore opportunities and postpone their decision.

Thank you.

What Byronic said is very sensible. I would just go for entry level jobs and work up. I would also supplement it by starting to take professional exams in your chosen field. Progress in these are much more likely to get you a job and exams are relatively good value.If you get your foot in the door then you cna show them your value in how you do your job. You will also get to see the internal vacancies.

I wouldnt bother with graduate schemes.

Thank you.

Any graduate scheme? Any job? Really? Any? Is this what we have come to?

How about you start with what YOU want to do/become/be and then find way of getting their.
If you really need certification, then Professional Certifications are the best evidence of competencies, and are what really counts in certain jobs. Don't worry about the your degree classification. Learn whatever you need to learn from that experience and then time to move on. Real work require more competencies than just academic abilities. In fact, non-academic capabilities count much more. Like good communication, maturity, commercial awareness, and especially, EQ. Willingness to work hard, ability to learn fast, and can be trusted to do a good job of whatever task you are given will earn you faster promotion than any first class degree.
I have to agree with earlier post. Figure out what you want to do and ask about entry level into that. A generic grad scheme is fine for most to stall but not worth fighting for if you dont know what you want.

Best of luck and so sorry about everything you endured.
Reply 14
Hi, just trust in God, since you have done your best in school, be proud of your degree and be ready to show any employer your full package bro, cheer up. The future is bright. Lastly create a killer CV, don't include the grade in the CV. All the best.
Reply 15
I am so sorry for everything you have been through :frown: you can apply to pretty much any company so long as your GCSEs and Alevels are good. You were clearly going through a lot and you can state that. I hope that helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending