The Student Room Group

Are my subjects good enough for Uni CompSci?

My Subjects:

1. Physics
2. Maths
3. FP

***If I can keep my grades above C/D***
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Infernex
My Subjects:

1. Physics
2. Maths
3. FP

FP?

Subject requirements vary between courses - you need to look at specific universities websites and UCAS entry profiles to check which subjects are required.
Reply 2
Original post by Infernex
My Subjects:

1. Physics
2. Maths
3. FP

For most unis they specify maths, beyond that you can do any A-levels for comp sci

Posted from TSR Mobile
Including ICT or Computer Science as one of your subjects is VITAL alongside physics and maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Annonymous_e
Including ICT or Computer Science as one of your subjects is VITAL alongside physics and maths.

What? Have they changed it in that whole year since I applied to uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

That's false. No university would ask you to do ICT or Computer Science at A-level. Most of the top universities want individuals to study Maths & Further Maths, or Maths and a science (preferably physics).
Reply 6
Original post by Aklaol
That's false. No university would ask you to do ICT or Computer Science at A-level. Most of the top universities want individuals to study Maths & Further Maths, or Maths and a science (preferably physics).

And I'm pretty certain they'll settle for just maths as long as its a good grade

Although that would explain why I got the unconditional for hull

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not. Some might give you a reduced offer or consider you application a little more because it shows you have interest in the subject but it's definitely not vital.

Maths is vital but no all courses/universities request it.
Well considering Cardiff ranked 14 accept BTEC
Reply 9
You dont need maths to get into all the top unis for comp sci but if you dont have maths you have to have computer science, but to get into all of them its probably a good idea to take math physics and computer science.
Reply 10
Original post by RS012
You dont need maths to get into all the top unis for comp sci but if you dont have maths you have to have computer science, but to get into all of them its probably a good idea to take math physics and computer science.

What's with all the misinformatio on here? Pretty much all top unis REQUIRE a level maths for computer science.
Reply 11
Original post by adil_
What's with all the misinformatio on here? Pretty much all top unis REQUIRE a level maths for computer science.

here is a few of the top ones that dont:
Birmingham University - AAA Kings
College London - AAB
University Of Leeds - AAA
University of Newcastle - ABB
University of Notingham - AAB
Queen Mary University of London - ABB
Queens University Belfast - BBB
Aston - ABB

So yeah and if you look on the UCAS requirements it says some courses require maths, please dont act like you know what you are talking about, as i am actually currently doing a computer science degree at Birmingham (AAA), and looking to do masters in cyber security at Warwick, and i did not do a level maths....
Original post by RS012
here is a few of the top ones that dont:
Birmingham University - AAA Kings
College London - AAB
University Of Leeds - AAA
University of Newcastle - ABB
University of Notingham - AAB
Queen Mary University of London - ABB
Queens University Belfast - BBB
Aston - ABB

So yeah and if you look on the UCAS requirements it says some courses require maths, please dont act like you know what you are talking about, as i am actually currently doing a computer science degree at Birmingham (AAA), and looking to do masters in cyber security at Warwick, and i did not do a level maths....

Queen Mary take BTEC as do Cardiff and Cardiff are ranked 14th for compSci
Reply 13
Original post by niteninja1
Queen Mary take BTEC as do Cardiff and Cardiff are ranked 14th for compSci

yeah ik im just trying to tell people that not everywhere needs maths.
The OP is aiming at C/D grades - I doubt any of this willy waving about who knows the most about "top" compsci universities is relevant at all.

It just makes you all look like people who don't read the question before answering.
Original post by RS012
yeah ik im just trying to tell people that not everywhere needs maths.

Exactly the majority of maths learnt at A-Level doesn't relate to the Boolean algebra and propositional logic anyway.
Original post by PQ
The OP is aiming at C/D grades - I doubt any of this willy waving about who knows the most about "top" compsci universities is relevant at all.

It just makes you all look like people who don't read the question before answering.

People were discussing the range of subjects needed vs the grades but I agree the OP's options are more limited but they can still go.
Reply 17
To answer your question OP: yes, your subjects are fine but you should try to push yourself to achieve higher grades.
Quick search based on getting CCC

http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?utf8=✓&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_0%5D=4&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_1%5D=4&c%5Bgrade_ALEVEL_2%5D=4&c%5Blower_points_bound%5D=84&c%5Bupper_points_bound%5D=108&c%5Bsubject_l2%5D%5B%5D=I100&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=relevance&button=

CCC is 96 UCAS tarrif points so you have two main routes.

1) (not personally reccomennded)
Got to a low ranked UNI with CCC

Such as http://www.gre.ac.uk/ug/ach/g400
However you are a bit short on ucas points

2) I would reccomend
Take a foundation year which means your degree takes 4years but they spend a year bringing you up to speed.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/Mathematics-and-Computing-with-an-Integrated-Foundation-Year-and-Professional-Development
Reply 19
Original post by Andy98
And I'm pretty certain they'll settle for just maths as long as its a good grade

Although that would explain why I got the unconditional for hull

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course. However, some of the more top universities e.g. Warick, Southampton etc will probably ask for Maths and a Science, or Maths and Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest