The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades for Trinity College Maths

I am predicted the following grades for GCSE and I was wondering if these were good enough to get into Trinity College, Cambridge:
Maths = 9(A**)
Physics = 9(A**)
Chemistry = 9(A**)
Biology = 8(A*)
RE = A*
Mandarin = A*
History = 8(A*)
Geography = 7(A)
Computing = 7(A)
English Literature = 7(A)
English Language = 7(A)
German = 7(A)

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole application is looked upon hollistically. Great GCSEs will only serve to boost your application but there are many other factors that play a role too. Assuming you can achieve those predicted grades then I would believe that they would be pretty good, although this new grading system is still new to me.
Original post by hiq
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole application is looked upon hollistically. Great GCSEs will only serve to boost your application but there are many other factors that play a role too. Assuming you can achieve those predicted grades then I would believe that they would be pretty good, although this new grading system is still new to me.

Yes that is correct but if I met all the other entry requirements would those GCSE grades be good enough to get me into Trinity?
Original post by dfbenjamin
Those grades certainly wouldn't stop you from getting in.

But would most candidates have better GCSE grades?
Reply 4
Just got into Cambridge with 2 A*s, 6 As, 4 Bs. GCSEs aren't a major factor.

Those (predicted) grades are excellent and your AS levels/admissions tests matter a lot more. You're more than fine.
Original post by hiq

Great advice! :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by carlsenesque
But would most candidates have better GCSE grades?

They do NOT assess any applicant on the basis of GCSE grades only.
Nor do they compare between candidates by their GCSE grades...or even A levels.
Holistic approach means they gather all data available for each candidate and try to form a sort of 'image' of the candidate to see how they are like academically, just like putting pieces of jigsaw puzzle together to complete a picture. Then compare those pictures of all candidates to decide which ones to choose.
And GCSE is not a big piece of puzzle for them in their assessment. What it gives them is a contextual data; ie. how good/bad you were at that stage of your education compared to your peers in the educational environment you were in. Not comparison with other candidates who were in different environments.
So even if your GCSE were really good, if all your peers were as good or better, that's not very special. While if your much better than your schoolmates where good GCSE is a rarity, that's seen as an encouraging sign as it shows your discipline and determination, and probably talent, too.

Also, they look at the history of your academic improvement, so even if your GCSE was really bad but got a good set of AS, that means you're on upward trajectory which is seen as positive.
If your GCSE was good, and AS were just as good, it's good, but not necessarily extraordinarily positive as the above case. Not negative, of course, but not just any special. Just assuring, perhaps, as you've kept your hard work for many years.

And grades are just one part of assessment, anyway. There're PS. SAQ, pre/at-interview assessments, interviews.....and STEP for maths applicants. And all these things are looked at, without any fixed weighting on any part of it, individually and holistically.
And majority of strong candidates would have very good grades in GCSE/AS/A-levels, too, so there's really no way of telling anyone's possibility of getting an offer from any college just by looking at one section of application, like GCSE grades.
(And some with impeccable grades have been rejected, too. :wink:)

Cambridge application is quite a bit more complicated than it seems.
The only thing you should do is just get on with the study you're doing now and try to explore the relevant subjects outside/beyond the school's curriculum and make your whole application as strong as possible.
That's the only thing you should think about, and that's all you need to do.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Inister
Just got into Cambridge with 2 A*s, 6 As, 4 Bs. GCSEs aren't a major factor.

Those (predicted) grades are excellent and your AS levels/admissions tests matter a lot more. You're more than fine.

Just out of curiosity what are you going to be studying?
I am hoping to study mathematics
Original post by carlsenesque
Just out of curiosity what are you going to be studying?
I am hoping to study mathematics

I have an offer for Maths at Trinity and I got 3 A*s, 6 As, 2 Bs. I must be in the bottom 1st or 2nd percentile, but shows that they're not really important to the application process.

I recommend learning the Maths and Further Maths A Levels in your spare time as soon as possible (ideally both before your AS exams) and then spending your lesson time doing Olympiad training. Getting into BMO2 or beyond might be a nice target (I got as far as a Distinction in BMO2 but missed out on the next stages). If you can handle that level of Maths, Trinity will want you.
Reply 10
Original post by DavidBick
I have an offer for Maths at Trinity and I got 3 A*s, 6 As, 2 Bs. I must be in the bottom 1st or 2nd percentile, but shows that they're not really important to the application process.

I recommend learning the Maths and Further Maths A Levels in your spare time as soon as possible (ideally both before your AS exams) and then spending your lesson time doing Olympiad training. Getting into BMO2 or beyond might be a nice target (I got as far as a Distinction in BMO2 but missed out on the next stages). If you can handle that level of Maths, Trinity will want you.

I have two questions.
By "next stages" after BMO2 do u mean the invitational camps that follow?
Also what was your mark in BMO2 and what year were u in when u took it? (If u dont mind me asking)
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending