The Student Room Group

picking a levels???

so i have to decide what a levels i want to pick soon and i want to go into journalism so i was thinking art, english lit (bc english language isnt an option at my school) but i dont know the third? and also i think i would like to work in the fashion magazine industry but you need lots of experience so how would i get that? and also when people write pieces as a taster to get work experience what do they write about?? thank yiouuuu
Original post by mm321
so i have to decide what a levels i want to pick soon and i want to go into journalism so i was thinking art, english lit (bc english language isnt an option at my school) but i dont know the third? and also i think i would like to work in the fashion magazine industry but you need lots of experience so how would i get that? and also when people write pieces as a taster to get work experience what do they write about?? thank yiouuuu

What I did when I chose mine was just pick stuff I enjoy. Foolishly I picked physics because I thought I wanted to be an engineer. After a year of doing physics I dropped it so quickly because the subject at A level is so different to GCSE and I got fed up of it. But I also picked economics because it looked fun and within two weeks fell in love with it and knew that's what I wanted to do at uni and as a job. Seriously go for what you enjoy, otherwise it's gonna be a long two years. And my advice if you don't know what you'd enjoy try something NEW you think you'd enjoy. Even if you never use it again, you'll have a new skill and would have had a good college experience.

And one other thing, if your college try to pinpoint you down a certain "path" and encourage you to take certain subjects just ignore it. You'd be surprised at how easily subjects relate at A level.

In terms of work experience don't even worry about that yet. Work experience can be arranged at any point and often work experience is just watching other people do their job and not getting any real experience.
Reply 2
Original post by emmepemme1999
What I did when I chose mine was just pick stuff I enjoy. Foolishly I picked physics because I thought I wanted to be an engineer. After a year of doing physics I dropped it so quickly because the subject at A level is so different to GCSE and I got fed up of it. But I also picked economics because it looked fun and within two weeks fell in love with it and knew that's what I wanted to do at uni and as a job. Seriously go for what you enjoy, otherwise it's gonna be a long two years. And my advice if you don't know what you'd enjoy try something NEW you think you'd enjoy. Even if you never use it again, you'll have a new skill and would have had a good college experience.

And one other thing, if your college try to pinpoint you down a certain "path" and encourage you to take certain subjects just ignore it. You'd be surprised at how easily subjects relate at A level.

In terms of work experience don't even worry about that yet. Work experience can be arranged at any point and often work experience is just watching other people do their job and not getting any real experience.

Hi do you do As Law? because i would like to ask you some questions that i need hhelp with, if you do please let me know thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest