The Student Room Group

Are all art teachers the same?

Bit of a ranty thread but I'm interested to know anyone's experiences.
During my GCSE's I had to drop art as a subject due to abuse I was getting from my teacher. The guy never taught us any techniques, he'd just sort of sit there and criticise stuff we'd worked hard on. Due to this teacher alone, we had multiple people drop out of his class and complaints sent to the school.
Now I'm doing graphic design as an A level, and although it's not nearly as bad, one of my teachers is acting very much the same. He doesn't really teach us anything (not that surprising given how independent people are expected to be during A levels) and nothing people do seems to be right.
One of the problems I've had with this guy are his claims that I can't draw, which I find rather shocking as I'm taught by two other graphics teachers who have praised my skills. Recently I've been doing a project based on Tim Burton's style, and he came up to me and told me that I probably should include the drawings that I've done in his style as "they show my flaws". Anyone who's seen Burton's work will know that it's dark, sketchy, and imperfect. Obviously that didn't compute in my teachers brain.
I also don't think I'd have offers to do animation at university if I couldn't draw, so that only adds to my confusion...
I'm interested to know other peoples experiences with art teachers, are they like I described, or are they actually encouraging (which is what I thought those in a creative field were supposed to do). Perhaps I've just been unlucky...
(Not bashing those who teach art at all, just curious).
My art teacher just gives us too much work but also gives us ideas to work on...And if u do a piece of work she will tell u that u can improve it
I haven't done art since secondary school, but the teacher I had back then was the most uninspiring art teacher imaginable. I don't remember her teaching us a single thing, and she was the kind of teacher who liked and praised the students who were naturally good at her subject, but didn't care at all about those of us who weren't (like me)
(edited 7 years ago)
Surprisingly the art teachers in my high school were fun and nice. We were even allowed to listen to music/radio in lessons
My art teacher was the best teacher I've ever had. He was so passionate about his job and had such a wise outlook on life. So no, they aren't all the same.

I'd say 90% of all teachers, regardless of what subject they teach, are crap, unispiring or mediorce. And only 10% of teachers are passionate and good at what they do.
Original post by habeas.corpus
My art teacher was the best teacher I've ever had. He was so passionate about his job and had such a wise outlook on life. So no, they aren't all the same.

I'd say 90% of all teachers, regardless of what subject they teach, are crap, unispiring or mediorce. And only 10% of teachers are passionate and good at what they do.

I'm incredibly jealous... I really don't understand why so many people who clearly don't have people skills become teachers...
Original post by Leviathan1741
I haven't done art since secondary school, but the teacher I had back then was the most uninspiring art teacher imaginable. I don't remember her teaching us a single thing, and she was the kind of teacher who liked and praised the students who were naturally good at her subject, but didn't care at all about those of us who weren't (like me)

That was literally what my GCSE teacher was like. Apparently because I wasn't doing art 24/7 in the department, I wasn't good enough for him. I love doing art, but it's crushing when you have to rely on a person who doesn't even want to make an effort with you
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I'm incredibly jealous... I really don't understand why so many people who clearly don't have people skills become teachers...

I assume because most can't get any other "professional" job? The majority of teachers lack intelligence and basic people skills. Plus the long holidays for teaching are pretty nice. Most of the teachers I had didn't plan lessons adequately. I had a music teacher who, like your art teacher, was borderine abusive and moronic. She would always single me out for no good reason, to the point that my classmates noticed it.

I've met many teachers who clearly hated children/ teenagers and it bewildered me why they went into teaching. It's no wonder why so many people hate school.
Reply 8
All of the art teachers in our school were the same. They would give us topics/styles to do an art piece on, but there was never any teaching on technique. You were either good or you weren't.
Original post by habeas.corpus
I assume because most can't get any other "professional" job? The majority of teachers lack intelligence and basic people skills. Plus the long holidays for teaching are pretty nice. Most of the teachers I had didn't plan lessons adequately. I had a music teacher who, like your art teacher, was borderine abusive and moronic. She would always single me out for no good reason, to the point that my classmates noticed it.

I've met many teachers who clearly hated children/ teenagers and it bewildered me why they went into teaching. It's no wonder why so many people hate school.

It's completely crap, because it brings down the reputation of those who genuinely have a passion for teaching. I've had a few teachers in the past who were amazing, and without them I'm sure I wouldn't be heading in the direction I am today, but when you're in a place that's supposed to encourage you to do something great with your life, being taught by someone who can barely organise a 30 minute lesson can put a bad taste in your mouth
Original post by ax12
All of the art teachers in our school were the same. They would give us topics/styles to do an art piece on, but there was never any teaching on technique. You were either good or you weren't.

I hate that style of teaching. It shouldn't be introduced until A levels in my opinion. How can someone know if they're good at something if they haven't been taught the skills to develop it...
Reply 11
Original post by CarysJSLewis
I hate that style of teaching. It shouldn't be introduced until A levels in my opinion. How can someone know if they're good at something if they haven't been taught the skills to develop it...

Exactly, and this is how they did it from year 7. I don't really know how they expected us to improve when they don't teach anything?
Original post by ax12
Exactly, and this is how they did it from year 7. I don't really know how they expected us to improve when they don't teach anything?

For Gods sake, year 7? That's shocking. It wasn't quite that bad in my school, and we actually had qualified art teachers teaching us then as well. I've heard in a lot of schools that pupils in middle school aren't even taught by teachers who are actually qualified in art

Quick Reply

Latest