The Student Room Group

dropping gcse ART

hello! it's me again, If you didn't know me, I'm in year 11. A new immigrant student in year 11 from the UK.

so I just had a huge mental breakdown over art, my sanity has gone lower and lower. I don't know what to do. I talked to the pastoral head, the art teacher and all that. Although they say keep going. I gave up on my art gcse because no matter what, I'm not gonna get a pass

I haven't told my dad about it because I'm so worried that he might be angry. He doesn't know I feel so much pressure. I'm trying my best to go on and survive the interventions that the teacher had set me. But eventually I feel so burnt out.

I haven't got enough time to study my core subjects moreover my art sketchbook. I don't think I could handle so much. What can I do? Please give me advice.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _lilinx_
hello! it's me again, If you didn't know me, I'm in year 11. A new immigrant student in year 11 from the UK.

so I just had a huge mental breakdown over art, my sanity has gone lower and lower. I don't know what to do. I talked to the pastoral head, the art teacher and all that. Although they say keep going. I gave up on my art gcse because no matter what, I'm not gonna get a pass

I haven't told my dad about it because I'm so worried that he might be angry. He doesn't know I feel so much pressure. I'm trying my best to go on and survive the interventions that the teacher had set me. But eventually I feel so burnt out.

I haven't got enough time to study my core subjects moreover my art sketchbook. I don't think I could handle so much. What can I do? Please give me advice.

First of all, calm down. Yes art GCSE is a bit frustrating, however if you have a clear mindset and is willing to sacrifice some time and effort you can do it. Have an entire day/weekend only for art. Organise your other subjects into timetables. I would say that you do atleast 5 artist researches. Remember that quality is better than quantity. First chose a theme that is not overly specific and kind of vague, but not too vague. Do a mind map about it and brainstorm all possible things you could do. Then, you have to do is to do artist research by answering a lot of techniques, works, how does it relate, colour use, materials used etc. Do not focus on their biography unless the art is a bit inspired by it, but mostly talk about the above. Good at English describing? Chuck some complicated vocabulary to leave those examiners speechless. Then take some photos relating to your theme, talk about it and at least do 5 recreations of it using different materials (don't worry, tweak it every now and then; just leave a tiny resemblance to the original photo.). Do this for every artist you do. When you are writing out the artist research, be creative. Make the background relate to the theme or Idk, like add some flaps. I usually recreate a portrait of my Artist next to the research under the title using stencils. This all applies to coursework and you do need to be naturally good at art; you will develop a skill towards it. For your final piece, do the same method with like photos, but put more effort into it. Just knowing this at the very start of doing art gcse can really help save you trouble and time much later on. I would say at least have 5 artist researches or more as quality matters more than quantity. And if you have any useless, not related to your theme artwork, don't chuck it way, keep it. It could be the difference between an A or a B, or C or a D. Good luck. Have faith in yourself :smile:

I believe in you
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest