The Student Room Group

Farmer shoots two huskies, one of them dies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by econwarwicker
The farmer didn't lose any money and he couldn't have known 100% that his sheep would be attacked.

I'm not necessarily saying that what he did was wrong, im just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who vehemently defend him even though it was lawful.

They don't need to be attacked to cause harm, the stress alone of being chased can cause them to abort.
Original post by Willy Pete
They don't need to be attacked to cause harm, the stress alone of being chased can cause them to abort.

what?
what?

What do you fail to understand about that?
What do you fail to understand about that?

What do you mean "abort"?

The sheep are carrying lambs, it is lambing season in a few months. The stress will cause the ewes to abort their lambs.

You are the perfect example of townies not understanding agriculture.

Pregnant sheep can miscarry through stress or even kill their live young. That's why dogs, especially off lead shouldn't be on farmers' land.
The sheep are carrying lambs, it is lambing season in a few months. The stress will cause the ewes to abort their lambs.

You are the perfect example of townies not understanding agriculture.

That's pretty much an assumption you're making really. It's really the lesser of two evils here, the huskies are still animals not pets. You put a greater value on the sheep because of the benefit they provide you.

Perhaps I dont understand agriculture, it's a dying industry in this country anyway.
Original post by NatashaRoebuck
Pregnant sheep can miscarry through stress or even kill their live young. That's why dogs, especially off lead shouldn't be on farmers' land.

Thank you and thanks @Willy Pete for explaining, I never knew that.

Okay perhaps im not fully informed of this. But regardless Im still not sure whether a running dog will cause such stress, these sheep have been surrounded by tractors and other animals too.
That's pretty much an assumption you're making really. It's really the lesser of two evils here, the huskies are still animals not pets. You put a greater value on the sheep because of the benefit they provide you.

Perhaps I dont understand agriculture, it's a dying industry in this country anyway.

I think the point is, regardless of value and pet or animal. The huskies were on the farmers' land, worrying his valuable stock. It's up to the farmer what he wants to do about the dogs 'trespassing' on his land and potentially losing him money. It's very sad that the dogs had to be shot at and one sadly died, but maybe it'll make for a more responsible owner in the future.

I put greater value in the ewes because they are someone's livelihood.

Dying industry... You really suck at economy.

Okay perhaps im not fully informed of this. But regardless Im still not sure whether a running dog will cause such stress, these sheep have been surrounded by tractors and other animals too.

Well you have absolutely zero knowledge of the subject in question, there are plenty of people here myself included who do.

In short you are wrong.
It's sad that the dogs had to have this happen to them. The owner should have taken better precautions as that could have prevented this happening. Idiotic and stupid, if you ask me. Poor doggos

Precisely, they've been around tractors and other animals the whole time. A random dog (two infact) coming running around would clearly be perceived as a threat to the sheep and they would all panic regardless of whether the dogs were attacking them.
Original post by NatashaRoebuck
I think the point is, regardless of value and pet or animal. The huskies were on the farmers' land, worrying his valuable stock. It's up to the farmer what he wants to do about the dogs 'trespassing' on his land and potentially losing him money. It's very sad that the dogs had to be shot at and one sadly died, but maybe it'll make for a more responsible owner in the future.

Yes, Im not denying that it was within the farmers right to shoot. But he still should have fired a warning shot at least.

I put greater value in the ewes because they are someone's livelihood.

Dying industry... You really suck at economy.

Well the primary sector isn't exactly booming now is it.
He was definetaly within his rights to shoot them.
If the owner felt dreadful about his dogs being shot, the he has only himself to blame.
The farmer didn't lose any money and he couldn't have known 100% that his sheep would be attacked.

I'm not necessarily saying that what he did was wrong, im just pointing out the hypocrisy of those who vehemently defend him even though it was lawful.

Well judging from the story the only person who saw what the dogs were doing to the sheep was the farmer who shot them... the purpose of the law relating to shooting dogs is to allow the farmer to prevent loss of livestock - not to get revenge on the dog after it's done the damage (which as a previous poster mentioned might not be immediately obvious during the attack anyway)

a spontaneous termination of pregnanacy
Well you have absolutely zero knowledge of the subject in question, there are plenty of people here myself included who do.

In short you are wrong.

"I know a lot about farming hence I am right and you all are wrong" Sorry that's not how it works mate. I realise you must have gotten a little emotional when I said farming was a dying industry.

At the end of the day, you've assumed that Im questioning the decision but im not. I agree with the verdict, read what I said then come at me again.
Original post by Joinedup
Well judging from the story the only person who saw what the dogs were doing to the sheep was the farmer who shot them... the purpose of the law relating to shooting dogs is to allow the farmer to prevent loss of livestock - not to get revenge on the dog after it's done the damage (which as a previous poster mentioned might not be immediately obvious during the attack anyway)

I know he is right but im just saying that it may not be the optimal decision given the lack of a warning shot. This is at the end of the day an unfortunate and isolated incident anyway.
Yes, Im not denying that it was within the farmers right to shoot. But he still should have fired a warning shot at least.

you don't have the slightest clue do you ?

'warning shots' are rearely if ever used in anything other than naval confrontations

warning shots are not used in Law enforcement

firing a warning shot i nthe dogs worrying livestock scenario is a far greater risk than just shooting the dog.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending