The Student Room Group

Farm work experience

Hi, I'm in year 11 and hope to apply for vet med in the future. I have done work experience at a small animal practice, livery, kennels and cattery. Now I really want to have some working with farm animals so I have a range of experience, but I've emailed literally all the farms in my area and most have replied saying they can't take on work experience students, others haven't replied at all. I feel so stuck on what to do because I've run out of place to email! I know farm work experience is essential for a vet med application, but I really don't know what to do, please help!
Reply 1
Original post by abi_sr
Hi, I'm in year 11 and hope to apply for vet med in the future. I have done work experience at a small animal practice, livery, kennels and cattery. Now I really want to have some working with farm animals so I have a range of experience, but I've emailed literally all the farms in my area and most have replied saying they can't take on work experience students, others haven't replied at all. I feel so stuck on what to do because I've run out of place to email! I know farm work experience is essential for a vet med application, but I really don't know what to do, please help!

Hey! I am a Scottish student and applied for Vet Med this year. With regards to farm work experience, I struggled to find anything for a really long time. I ended up getting so fed up that I went and knocked on a farmer's door to talk to them in real life lol! He was very kind and allowed me to milk on a weekly basis. I know that this is sometimes not practical and some of them might get annoyed at you, but I think it shows a strong character and determination. I hope you find somewhere!!
Reply 2
Original post by abi_sr
Well done on getting a range of work experience already. Not all vet schools insist on farm work although it’s obviously advisable to get as wide a range of experience as possible. Just be careful that the work experience that you have obtained falls into the relevant time frame for all the schools you decide to apply to. Some say it has to be in the 24 months prior to applying etc so that although anything done before this will always be valuable and provide you with valuable learning points and things to talk about at interview it may not actually be valid for passing the first hurdle of entry requirements.
Reply 3
Do you have any friends or family who know any farmers? Once youve actually spoken in person then you'll get much further. Also worth asking the vets you've worked at as they might know some people
Reply 4
Original post by abi_sr
Very much a shot in the dark here and I was only able to do this because I was on a gap year (got rejected last year, I suspect due to me only having SAWE). There's this website called Helpx, where places including farms offer usually bed and board to anyone willing to work. Think I had to pay around 20 pounds in a signup fee but I see it as very much worth it given that food alone in my 2-week stay would have easily exceeded that. Not all of them are responsive and I've also heard of bad hosts that expect a lot for very little but my experience on this lamb and cattle farm in the south was overall positive. Send a few messages offering to work and explain your situation. The one I went to has previously accommodated pre-vet students and even current students on EMS. Good luck!
Look on the NSA for lambing, lots of farmers have free accommodation.
There are also some animal based options on WWoof.net

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending