The Student Room Group

Question about A Level Maths Exams

So I'm currently doing AS Maths, and my exam board is Edexcel. If do M1 this year, along with C1 and C2, can I proceed to taking D1 instead of M2 next year? Or does this depend of my school?
Reply 1
I think you are able to according to the exam board, but it depends on what your school chooses to do.
For example I did C1, C2 and S1 last year, and I'm doing C3, C4 and M1 this year. So you can mix the exams, but you have to do what the school chooses to teach you.
Original post by honour
So I'm currently doing AS Maths, and my exam board is Edexcel. If do M1 this year, along with C1 and C2, can I proceed to taking D1 instead of M2 next year? Or does this depend of my school?

Yes, of course you can. We allow any choice which sometimes means I'm teaching two different modules but that's fine :smile:

If the school offers Further Maths then it would be very unusual for them not to teach it. Someone should be able to help you self-teach as the worst-case scenario.

It is a particularly useful module for computing or similar courses.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Yes, of course you can. We allow any choice which sometimes means I'm teaching two different modules but that's fine :smile:

If the school offers Further Maths then it would be very unusual for them not to teach it. Someone should be able to help you self-teach as the worst-case scenario.

It is a particularly useful module for computing or similar courses.

Ah, I see, thank you :smile: Can I ask if students doing M1 in the first year are allowed to switch to S1 in the second year, or can they only either proceed to D1 or continue with Mechanics?
Original post by honour
Ah, I see, thank you :smile: Can I ask if students doing M1 in the first year are allowed to switch to S1 in the second year, or can they only either proceed to D1 or continue with Mechanics?

They can do S1, D1 or M2 - most do one of the first two. Those doing M2 would probably be people wanting to do Engineering or Physics and not doing double Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
They can do S1, D1 or M2 - most do one of the first two. Those doing M2 would probably be people wanting to do Engineering or Physics and not doing double Maths.

Perfect, thank you.
Original post by honour
Perfect, thank you.

Talk to your teachers. If you are keen to do a specific module then they might be able to sort it out.

I know that in another local school where the 'standard' modules offered are S1/D1 some students do M1 as a supported self-study option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending