The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for Medicine. HELP!!!!

How do you get AAA in a levels? I really want to get into medicine but i'm really struggling to get the grades and don't know how to revise. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS currently.

Also, how long would you recommend me revising a day??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Biology: Use the specification and make your notes according to it so you don't miss out key points. Use the endorsed board textbook and summarise from it - do not copy word for word.

Use YouTube to watch concepts that may be more visual, eg. the cardiac cycle.

When you are confident in your content - do LOADS of past paper questions. This is really important because without exam technique, learning content is pointless.

Maths: Examsolutions is a great website to go over content. Use this and the textbook to learn the content then complete loads of textbook questions. Once you're alright with the textbook questions do loads of past papers. Very important with Maths because questions are usually similar each year.

Chemistry: Same as Biology basically. Again use YouTube if you are struggling.

General advice: ask for help from teachers when you are stuck. Plan your revision out for the day. Start off nice and early too.

I got an A in Biology, and B in Chemistry and Maths (2 UMS off an A lmao) at AS. I was on AQA for them all and I currently do Biology and Maths at A2. (I didn't get all As but thought my advice could be of use)

Message me if you want more advice. I can also try and help you with Biology and Maths.
What sort of grades are you currently getting?

Best way to revise is to learn the content and practice rthrouvh textbook questions and past papers. Consistent and regular study is required.
Original post by imann
How do you get AAA in a levels? I really want to get into medicine but i'm really struggling to get the grades and don't know how to revise. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths at AS currently.

honestly maths AS is a joke its too easy, especially c1,2 you should get an A, just do past papers. For chem and bio im not sure cos i did physics. I just read the textbooks a LOT like 10-20 times overall, got the grades at AS but now i need to work for a2, put the hours in you will be fine.
Original post by Samendra
honestly maths AS is a joke its too easy, especially c1,2 you should get an A, just do past papers. For chem and bio im not sure cos i did physics. I just read the textbooks a LOT like 10-20 times overall, got the grades at AS but now i need to work for a2, put the hours in you will be fine.

Any advice for S1, i only switched to s1 recently so i need all the help i can get. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by iamayesha
Any advice for S1, i only switched to s1 recently so i need all the help i can get. Thanks

Do all the questions in textbook then past papers. (I got 90/100 UMS in S1 AQA)
Reply 6
Original post by Yusufff
Biology: Use the specification and make your notes according to it so you don't miss out key points. Use the endorsed board textbook and summarise from it - do not copy word for word.

When you are confident in your content - do LOADS of past paper questions. This is really important because without exam technique, learning content is pointless.

Maths: Examsolutions is a great website to go over content. Use this and the textbook to learn the content then complete loads of textbook questions. Once you're alright with the textbook questions do loads of past papers. Very important with Maths because questions are usually similar each year.

General advice: ask for help from teachers when you are stuck. Plan your revision out for the day. Start off nice and early too.

I got an A in Biology, and B in Chemistry and Maths (2 UMS off an A lmao) at AS. I was on AQA for them all and I currently do Biology and Maths at A2. (I didn't get all As but thought my advice could be of use)

Message me if you want more advice. I can also try and help you with Biology and Maths.

Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any youtube channels I can watch for chem and bio?
Original post by iamayesha

LOL S1, i do further maths and so do S1, S2 and S3 for all of them the concepts are very easy, read through examples and ask teachers for any questions or topics you do not understand, basically get an understanding for the concepts that they use, you need to have an intuitive understanding with statistics, as the wording of the questions is sometimes tricky, then just do past papers.

^This can be applied to any module
Reply 8
Original post by habeas.corpus
What sort of grades are you currently getting?

Best way to revise is to learn the content and practice rthrouvh textbook questions and past papers. Consistent and regular study is required.

I'm not sure grade wise but in the most recent mocks, I've received 41% in maths, 47% in chem and 61% in bio
Reply 9
Original post by Yusufff

Also, how long did you revise in a day during the week and on weekends??
Original post by imann
I'm not sure grade wise but in the most recent mocks, I've received 41% in maths, 47% in chem and 61% in bio

You might want to consider other degrees? Because AS levels are really a walk in the park compared to studying a medical degree.

You will need all A's at A-level to stand a good chance in the admissions process.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by habeas.corpus
You might want to consider other degrees? Because AS levels are really a walk in the park compared to studying a medical degree.

You will need all A's at A-level to stand a good chance in the admissions process.

Do you not think if i work really hard that i can get my 3 As because I've only just started revising in Jaunuary?
Original post by imann
Thanks for the advice. Do you recommend any youtube channels I can watch for chem and bio?

MrPollock for Biology and AlleryTutors for Chemistry. Both really useful

Original post by imann
Also, how long did you revise in a day during the week and on weekends??

On weekdays, on full college days I aim to do at least 2 hours at home and on my short days at least 4 hours.

Weekends I aim to do 5-7 hours - depends what I have going on bc some days I may not be able to much due to friend/family events

Make a list of things you wanna do the day before and try get through it
Original post by imann
Do you not think if i work really hard that i can get my 3 As because I've only just started revising in Jaunuary?

A combination of lots of hard work and some inherent talent for the subjects will work. You have to be honest with yourself though. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest