The Student Room Group

Why are there no restrictions on who can be U.S president?

The U.S has speed limits, laws against shoplifting and all the usual stuff we also restrict or ban. So why did they fail to implement a system to prevent people like Donald Dump getting in!? There's clearly to much controversy over him and this itself should make it so that he wasn't allowed. To take control over nukes and stuff, surely you would need to be squeaky clean.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are restrictions on who can be president
Is this a joke? They have an electoral system and he won. That is how democracy works.

How he copes with being president will be interesting, especially whether he can deliver on his promises.

What are the requirements for a person to run for president?
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident ...
Reply 3
Original post by joecphillips
There are restrictions on who can be president

There are 2:

1: You must not be an actual blue whale
2: You must physically be on Earth during your presidency

But I mean proper ones. Idiot proof ones. NASA probably has good standards, maybe the presidency should use these.
Reply 4
Original post by Laomedeia
There are 2:

1: You must not be an actual blue whale
2: You must physically be on Earth during your presidency

But I mean proper ones. Idiot proof ones. NASA probably has good standards, maybe the presidency should use these.

No they have to be a natural born citizen
Over 35

Out of interest who did you support in the election?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Is this a joke? They have an electoral system and he won. That is how democracy works.

How he copes with being president will be interesting, especially whether he can deliver on his promises.

The electoral system has failed. There doesnt appear to be a fail-safe either, hence why he won. Like I said, only squeaky clean people and without major controversy should be eligible. There will always be disagreement in any election, but this one has been beyond ridiculous.
Reply 6
No they have to be a natural born citizen
Over 35

Out of interest who did you support in the election?

I didnt support anyone. There were only 2 candidates.
Reply 7
I didnt support anyone. There were only 2 candidates.

This just shows how little you know on the subject there wasn't only 2 candidates
So why did they fail to implement a system to prevent people like Donald Dump getting in!? There's clearly to much controversy over him and this itself should make it so that he wasn't allowed. To take control over nukes and stuff, surely you would need to be squeaky clean.

There is a system in place - the Electoral College. Delegates are not obliged to vote in agreement with the people of their state, but almost always do.

Whilst individuals may find the result concerning, a democracy has to respect the outcome of a free and fair election. I just hope that the remaining checks and balances stop the more outrageous of his pronouncements.
Please propose the wording of a general restriction which would keep out 'people like Donald Trump' and could also be justified as a restriction voters' choice.
Because it's a democracy.

I don't like the guy but he won the election and deserves a fair crack at the whip.
Reply 11
This just shows how little you know on the subject there wasn't only 2 candidates

There was Hillary and Trump. I havent seen anything on tv about any other candidates, maybe they were just the main ones? When showing the results, it only showed the results for those 2.

Original post by RogerOxon
There is a system in place - the Electoral College. Delegates are not obliged to vote in agreement with the people of their state, but almost always do.

Whilst individuals may find the result concerning, a democracy has to respect the outcome of a free and fair election. I just hope that the remaining checks and balances stop the more outrageous of his pronouncements.

Its those remaining checks should have been used in the 1st place. A democracy should respect the outcome of a free and fair election, but at what cost? Trump should never have been eligible in the 1st place, or at least removed during the later stages of the election along with Hillary who was also a shower of..............
To take control over nukes and stuff, surely you would need to be squeaky clean.

That's Crooked Hillary out.
The U.S has speed limits, laws against shoplifting and all the usual stuff we also restrict or ban. So why did they fail to implement a system to prevent people like Donald Dump getting in!? There's clearly to much controversy over him and this itself should make it so that he wasn't allowed. To take control over nukes and stuff, surely you would need to be squeaky clean.

Just because you don't like the result. What your saying is like me saying that I think the US should prevent democrats getting in ! Lets turn into a one party state. Please don't cry , he WON the election fair and square. Please don't cry when you don't get the result you want. Hypocritical liberals. Should we just ban every right wing person running for office just because you believe they'd be dangerous. It works both ways , many people believe left wingers are dangerous . It doesn't mean they are.
You obviously don't believe in democracy . Don't like it? Then go to another country! The American people chose Trump as their president and that's what they're getting whether you like it or not.

because leaders are allowed to be controversial in a free and open democracy. democracy is not a system that forbids polarising topics and actors - democracy has been and continues to be very polarising as a concept and as a practised institution. some are very passionately left wing, globalist, multiculturalist etc while others are very passionately right wing, democratic and nationalist - if this is the case, why is a president like trump inappropriate when he clearly represents one significant category of society?

and how was hilary clinton not controversial with her endless scandals?
"take control over nukes and stuff" - hilary clinton openly wanted a WAR WITH RUSSIA over syria. get your ****ing priorities straight here. she would have clearly been a far more dangerous president.
There was Hillary and Trump. I havent seen anything on tv about any other candidates, maybe they were just the main ones? When showing the results, it only showed the results for those 2.

Its those remaining checks should have been used in the 1st place. A democracy should respect the outcome of a free and fair election, but at what cost? Trump should never have been eligible in the 1st place, or at least removed during the later stages of the election along with Hillary who was also a shower of..............

Similar to how it is in the UK, there are loads of parties however only the top 2 get the most coverage and then people such as yourself believe there was only 2 options
Reply 16
Original post by fleky6910
Just because you don't like the result. What your saying is like me saying that I think the US should prevent democrats getting in ! Lets turn into a one party state. Please don't cry , he WON the election fair and square. Please don't cry when you don't get the result you want. Hypocritical liberals. Should we just ban every right wing person running for office just because you believe they'd be dangerous. It works both ways , many people believe left wingers are dangerous . It doesn't mean they are.
You obviously don't believe in democracy . Don't like it? Then go to another country! The American people chose Trump as their president and that's what they're getting whether you like it or not.

Touched a nerve did I? Ouch!

"The American people chose Trump as their president and that's what they're getting whether you like it or not."

I choose Like It Not. Anyway if the American people choose Trump, why is there so much aggro about booting him out?

The Larch

Original post by sleepysnooze
because leaders are allowed to be controversial in a free and open democracy. democracy is not a system that forbids polarising topics and actors - democracy has been and continues to be very polarising as a concept and as a practised institution. some are very passionately left wing, globalist, multiculturalist etc while others are very passionately right wing, democratic and nationalist - if this is the case, why is a president like trump inappropriate when he clearly represents one significant category of society?

and how was hilary clinton not controversial with her endless scandals?
"take control over nukes and stuff" - hilary clinton openly wanted a WAR WITH RUSSIA over syria. get your ****ing priorities straight here. she would have clearly been a far more dangerous president.

I already mentioned that she too was a shower of feces. Its up there in one of my previous posts.Post 12 specifically.
There are restrictions, you have to be American or your parents have to be American, you have to be over a certain age ( 35+? ) but even then there is no reason why the current president couldn't be president.
The only thing I'd say is he's never held a place in government. Which maybe should be a requirement but it's the American dream to be who you want to be no matter who you are so unlikely to be a change.
There are some restrictions.

What you are talking about is restrictions on democracy - which given recent occurrences may not be a bad thing.

In other countries a party nominates their candidate, there is no primary like in America. That would be a simple way of doing it.
I agree there should be an iq test or something.Every other job you have to prove you are qualified for the position and have the skills to do the job.Apparently the job giving you access to actual nuclear weapons is a popularity contest.America decides their presidents on who looks and sounds the best and on who has the most money.Quite frankly it is a stupid system.And before anyone says its the will of the people,the vast majority of people are pretty stupid.There should definitely be basic requirements.For starters a president who doesn't think global warming is a hoax and listens to science would be nice.Also not one who asks why we cannot use nuclear weapons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending