The Student Room Group

Why are there no restrictions on who can be U.S president?

Scroll to see replies

This person is triggered.
Donald Trump is richer than you will ever be and he already had influence on the market. Now he just controls them 88 :smile:
Actually,there are restrictions on who can be President,which you can find in the written constitution.
There is an effective bar on who can be president - who's got enough money to run their campaign or attract enough money into it so to make it viable. This necessarily narrows down the field.
Original post by Laomedeia
The electoral system has failed. There doesnt appear to be a fail-safe either, hence why he won. Like I said, only squeaky clean people and without major controversy should be eligible. There will always be disagreement in any election, but this one has been beyond ridiculous.

It hasnt failed. he was voted in according to the rules, just becayse you dont like him doesnt mean he isnt a legitimate president. He won because he won more states than Hilary. he might be unpleasant in some peoples eyes, but people cna take that into account when voting. they get the leaders they deserve.
Original post by Robby2312
I agree there should be an iq test or something.Every other job you have to prove you are qualified for the position and have the skills to do the job.Apparently the job giving you access to actual nuclear weapons is a popularity contest.America decides their presidents on who looks and sounds the best and on who has the most money.Quite frankly it is a stupid system.And before anyone says its the will of the people,the vast majority of people are pretty stupid.There should definitely be basic requirements.For starters a president who doesn't think global warming is a hoax and listens to science would be nice.Also not one who asks why we cannot use nuclear weapons.

It sounds reasonable on paper but it's a slippery slope. A person standing for office is entitled to hold whatever views they like, it's up to the electorate if they agree with them or not.
It could have been worse I suppose...

[video]https://youtu.be/fOT_BoGpCn4[/video]
I already mentioned that she too was a shower of feces. Its up there in one of my previous posts.Post 12 specifically.

then why the hell is she allowed to run when you're saying that trump should have been filtered out?
Touched a nerve did I? Ouch!

"The American people chose Trump as their president and that's what they're getting whether you like it or not."

I choose Like It Not. Anyway if the American people choose Trump, why is there so much aggro about booting him out?

The Larch

I already mentioned that she too was a shower of feces. Its up there in one of my previous posts.Post 12 specifically.

People who voted for him are content, they aren't gonna be protesting him are they?

The reason the protests get some much coverage is because the media were and still are against him and they like manipulating stories and presenting them in a way that suits their agenda. Don't be so naïve as to believe everything the media says at face value...

Also, many of these same concerns were raised in relation to Ronald Reagan in 1980; people said as an actor he was unfit to be president and that'd he'd be a trainwreck with no experience. He led an amazing economic recovery that led to one of the biggest booms of the last century and is now generally regarded as one of the greatest presidents of all time.

Not saying Trump will be a Reagan, nor did I support him, however he deserves a chance as he has a mandate to govern from a legitimate democratic election, all those troglodytes protesting and rioting in Washington are fascists that want to impose their opinion on everyone, period.
Original post by JamesN88
It could have been worse I suppose...

[video]https://youtu.be/fOT_BoGpCn4[/video]

to be fair to him this was right before people starting using the word "aleppo" as a reference to syrian refugee camps - nobody really knew about "aleppo" at that point
It sounds reasonable on paper but it's a slippery slope. A person standing for office is entitled to hold whatever views they like, it's up to the electorate if they agree with them or not.

I disagree.If you give someone the theoretical ability to singlehandedly wipe out the human race then you should make damn well sure that they are competent.They can hold whatever views they like within reason.I think it's fairly reasonable to expect that he doesn't think a major global crisis is just a hoax.I think there is definitely a better way of doing it than the current version.Democracy is not some sacred idea that cannot be made better or changed.
I disagree.If you give someone the theoretical ability to singlehandedly wipe out the human race then you should make damn well sure that they are competent.They can hold whatever views they like within reason.I think it's fairly reasonable to expect that he doesn't think a major global crisis is just a hoax.I think there is definitely a better way of doing it than the current version.Democracy is not some sacred idea that cannot be made better or changed.

But who decides what views fall within reason?
Reply 32
But who decides what views fall within reason?

It boils down to common sense. For example having sex with a woman is pretty reasonable. Its also quite essential. Rape however isnt within reason. Im not saying Donny Dump is a rapist. I will even take his minge grabbing comment as banter. I say some right crap myself at times, but I would make a rubbish leader. I cant even win an argument.
The electoral system has failed. There doesnt appear to be a fail-safe either, hence why he won. Like I said, only squeaky clean people and without major controversy should be eligible. There will always be disagreement in any election, but this one has been beyond ridiculous.

Squeaky clean?? " Let only he who is without sin run for the Presidency".

"... without major controversy..." Any candidate who fits this description is going to be a wimpy appeaser.
I don't think this election has had that much more disagreement in it than any other.
The difference is that for 40 yrs. the progressive left has not had to slow up on their march to Utopia. Their spoiled. That's why their squealing like stuck pigs. And after 40yrs of no push back they were sure that everybody in the country thought just like they did. The shock of Trumps victory can barely be imagined.

"...to single handedly wipe out the human race..." Statements like this are what has been wrong with this election from the very beginning. If you lack anything constructive to say, anything with any truth or merit to it just make up something that sounds like it might be true and say it with conviction over and over, ( .."make damn well sure they are competent."), and hope it sticks. You guys are suppose to be smarter than this.
It boils down to common sense. For example having sex with a woman is pretty reasonable. Its also quite essential. Rape however isnt within reason. Im not saying Donny Dump is a rapist. I will even take his minge grabbing comment as banter. I say some right crap myself at times, but I would make a rubbish leader. I cant even win an argument.

If you look at Pres. Trump and don't see leadership skills you are a piss poor judge of character.
There are plenty of restrictions and you can find them using a little something called google.
Original post by oldercon1953
"...to single handedly wipe out the human race..." Statements like this are what has been wrong with this election from the very beginning. If you lack anything constructive to say, anything with any truth or merit to it just make up something that sounds like it might be true and say it with conviction over and over, ( .."make damn well sure they are competent.":wink:, and hope it sticks. You guys are suppose to be smarter than this.

He could.He has like 7000 nuclear weapons at his disposal.Russia has another 7000-8000 .If he launches nukes then russia will also launch nukes.That would cause a nuclear winter and wipe out humans.So yeah he could singlehandely wipe out mankind.He is commander in chief isn't he.If he says to do something then they have to do it.How isn't it true?
He could.He has like 7000 nuclear weapons at his disposal.Russia has another 7000-8000 .If he launches nukes then russia will also launch nukes.That would cause a nuclear winter and wipe out humans.So yeah he could singlehandely wipe out mankind.He is commander in chief isn't he.If he says to do something then they have to do it.How isn't it true?

Your fear mongering comment sounds like it was written by a 5yr. old. You made it sound as though Trump, or any President, can wake up one morning in a bad mood and decide to nuke Russia. You should know better. Yes, thankfully he is the Commander in Chief and yes, he would make the final decision to launch. However, if I were you I would find comfort knowing Trumps finger is on the button. The reason is that Putin could march into any country of his choosing knowing there's no way obama would ever use nukes. He's maybe not so sure with Trump. So maybe he might watch his behavior. What good are nukes if your adversary is positive you won't use them?
Original post by oldercon1953
Your fear mongering comment sounds like it was written by a 5yr. old. You made it sound as though Trump, or any President, can wake up one morning in a bad mood and decide to nuke Russia. You should know better. Yes, thankfully he is the Commander in Chief and yes, he would make the final decision to launch. However, if I were you I would find comfort knowing Trumps finger is on the button. The reason is that Putin could march into any country of his choosing knowing there's no way obama would ever use nukes. He's maybe not so sure with Trump. So maybe he might watch his behavior. What good are nukes if your adversary is positive you won't use them?

Obviously he wouldn't just for being in a bad mood.But incidents have happened in the past where one side has thought the other has launched nukes.Its only through cool heads that disaster was averted.Trump is not a cool head.He is very much a hothead.I do not find it a comfort to know that his finger is on the button because of Putin.We should not be viewing Russia as our enemies.We should work with them to solve common problems.The way Obama talked it was as though the cold war was still happening.You call me a five year old,yet it is the new president who seems to have the mindset of a five year old.He has claimed that global warming is a Chinese hoax,he also wants to build a wall to keep out Mexicans.How is it unreasonable to expect that the guy who can give the most serious orders, to be at least a bit mature or intelligent?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending