The Student Room Group

Donald Trump makes abortion illegal?

Any thoughts on this? I personally think it's a bad idea, especially considering that making abortion illegal won't stop abortions from occurring, they are just likely to be more harmful or dangerous i.e. a woman could buy abortion kits/pills online or even possible increase in women committing suicides as a result. I personally think women should be entitled the right to abort if they are not mentally, physically, emotionally or even financially ready to support a child.

Scroll to see replies

He hasn't made abortion illegal. Check your facts.
Original post by Stickman
He hasn't made abortion illegal. Check your facts.

In fact, he even lowered the price of coat hangers.
Reply 3
Original post by 27FT
Any thoughts on this? I personally think it's a bad idea, especially considering that making abortion illegal won't stop abortions from occurring, they are just likely to be more harmful or dangerous i.e. a woman could buy abortion kits/pills online or even possible increase in women committing suicides as a result. I personally think women should be entitled the right to abort if they are not mentally, physically, emotionally or even financially ready to support a child.

The Roe V. Wade 1973 established that women had the right the choose to have an abortion so the Supreme Court would just rule any law passed making abortion illegal unconstitutional.
(edited 7 years ago)
The first line explains what he actually did: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38724063

'Donald Trump has signed an executive order to ban federal money going to international groups which perform or provide information on abortions.'

Whilst he supports banning abortion in the US, he hasn't done that. In fact, if you read further, you'll see it was introduced by Reagen, stopped by Clinton, reintroduced by Bush, stopped by Obama, and then now reintroduced by Trump. So it's not so outlandish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oops i phrased the question wrong. I meant it as in, will Donald Trump make abortion illegal or is he planning on it because there has been articles on the new 'gag' rule which i already was aware of, thanks but as i know he heavily opposed abortion in his campaign I just wanted to know if he plans on doing it in the future :smile:
And what everyone thinks of it
Well this post has failed so hard I'm laughing
Original post by 27FT
Oops i phrased the question wrong. I meant it as in, will Donald Trump make abortion illegal or is he planning on it because there has been articles on the new 'gag' rule which i already was aware of, thanks but as i know he heavily opposed abortion in his campaign I just wanted to know if he plans on doing it in the future :smile:

You should get a mod to change your thread title. He hasnt done anything yet about making abortion illegal in the US, but he has threatened to.

As pointed out the Landmark case is called Roe v Wade. What Trump would do is appoint some supreme court judges that were pro life, which would alter the supreme court and almost certainly give him a decision that was pro life. It would be historic and deeply divisive. It would make the US even more divided. Interesting times.
Original post by 999tigger
You should get a mod to change your thread title. He hasnt done anything yet about making abortion illegal in the US, but he has threatened to.

As pointed out the Landmark case is called Roe v Wade. What Trump would do is appoint some supreme court judges that were pro life, which would alter the supreme court and almost certainly give him a decision that was pro life. It would be historic and deeply divisive. It would make the US even more divided. Interesting times.

I don't know how to ask a mod, this is my first question :smile:. What a time to be an American eh
Original post by 27FT
I don't know how to ask a mod, this is my first question :smile:. What a time to be an American eh

Are you American? Nothing has happened yet on abortion and if it does, then you cna be sure it will be headline news. It is bound to be overturned the next time the democrats get in power (wheneve that might be). Just pm Dystopia on this thread if they are section leader and send a better title. Or just make a new post with it in an a mod will pick it up.
He hasn't banned it. He has just made it so you pay for your own abortions, which is good.
He hasn't got the power ti make it illegal I don't think.

If Obama couldn't even get background checks for firearms I doubt Trump can actually make it illegal to have an abortion.
Has Trump ever expressed a desire to make abortion illegal?

Or is it simply a figment of the left wing Borg imagination?

P.S
Remember, "not paying for" is not the same as "making illegal"
While he would likely be appointing enough justices to theoretically be able to get Roe v Wade overturned, especially after winning a second term, he wouldn't be able to get them confirmed, at the very least before the mid terms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joe cooley
Has Trump ever expressed a desire to make abortion illegal?

Or is it simply a figment of the left wing Borg imagination?

P.S
Remember, "not paying for" is not the same as "making illegal"

He actually expressed his views on abortion before campaigning actually, and that he would like to make abortion illegal and that woman who chose to abort should be punished. But hey ho, I never said 'not paying for' is the same as 'making illegal', as i said previously I phrased my question wrong. I meant it, as in, will Donald Trump plan on making abortion illegal on the future and what people would think of this.
Original post by streetdude28
Well this post has failed so hard I'm laughing

Wow. Well laugh while you can, I guess. I just wanted to start a discussion on this.
Original post by 999tigger
Are you American? Nothing has happened yet on abortion and if it does, then you cna be sure it will be headline news. It is bound to be overturned the next time the democrats get in power (wheneve that might be). Just pm Dystopia on this thread if they are section leader and send a better title. Or just make a new post with it in an a mod will pick it up.

I was born in Texas but moved to England when I was seven.
(edited 7 years ago)
The ability to slaughter one's offspring is the holy grail of the left, so you can be sure that you'd hear about it if Trump managed to overturn it. This would result in individual states being able to decide the law (Louisiana and Kentucky being two certain states). What Trump has done in the last 48 hours is stop the funding for groups and international organisations that promote abortion.
Which is not a bad thing if you can get those who have difficulty having children of their own to adopt rather than wasting thousands on IVF that will probably fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending