The Student Room Group

Why can't I are for my friends?

I know I sound so terrible, and I feel like a terrible human being. But I have so many friends, and they all think I'm some extraverted person with lots of friends I care about. And yet I really don't care about them. Idk just I know so many people who consider me their friend, or even best friend, and personally I didn't notice myself getting close to them, or worse they make me uncomfortable. It's driving me insane, because usually I'm a really empathic person? but when it comes to friends or even acquaintances I really couldn't care less about them. There's one person whom I really consider my friend (she's my platonic wife atp) but the rest? Really not my friends, I don't get it
Reply 1
oops I meant care in the title...
Hey this is normal, don't worry about it!

If you talk to a lot of people and you tend to be empathetic, there will be a bunch of people who are going to like and trust you. There can be many different reasons why someone would call you a close friend, one being you're reliable and comforting as someone so thoughtful.

You may even have higher standards (and this is totally fine too, the more you find lower standards, the higher your original top standards will be, everything is relative!). So then you may only keep a very limited few as your close friends out of all the people you know.

You don't have to worry too much, you're a good person whom the majority love: you being you.
Original post by My.ang_lais
Hey this is normal, don't worry about it!

It's really not normal no matter how far you try and spin what they said. They probably should worry abut living and dying alone etc. Most people don't seem to like that.
Original post by StriderHort

It's really not normal no matter how far you try and spin what they said. They probably should worry abut living and dying alone etc. Most people don't seem to like that.

Oh oops my bad, I didn't read the bit where they mentioned their worry of being alone.
Reply 5
This reads like a disorder and if you were one of my students I'd be referring you to counselling.
Original post by My.ang_lais
Oh oops my bad, I didn't read the bit where they mentioned their worry of being alone.

I was more a bit confused about why you were telling them they are a good person for not caring about anyone else.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
I was more a bit confused about why you were telling them they are a good person for not caring about anyone else.

tbh it's not that I dont care, it's more like I would care as much as I would care for someone I didn't know. Like idk "oh the dog of Donald Trump died? Damn, that's sad, anyway." that's kinda how it is. Obviously I don't show it, and act all kind and stuff but it really makes me feel bad, because it also makes me feel like some monster and also makes me burnt out, if it even makes sense, it's all in my head, but I act like the best friend in real life because ik tht's what's technically right. But again I DO care for a few people, but what's even more confusing is I used to hate these people for no apparent reason, before just deciding to care for them one random day, it's really complicated..
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
This reads like a disorder and if you were one of my students I'd be referring you to counselling.

I'll be honest when I say that therapists and psychologists and all those people both terrify me and I also can't stand them and also my parents would never let me o bc it would damage our family reputation so I'm kinda stuck on that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending