The Student Room Group

chemistry olympiad 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Indian Batman
Did the paper today and I have to say its quite difficult. I found one or two of the questions relatively straightforward, but there was one question which I didn't even attempt. Good luck to anyone else who's yet to do it!

what were the topics? what do you suggest i cover? and was there any enthalpy
Did the paper today and I have to say its quite difficult. I found one or two of the questions relatively straightforward, but there was one question which I didn't even attempt. Good luck to anyone else who's yet to do it!

Original post by sfaraj
OH ocr so i dont know if the content of the topics were the same...But from those topics, did their content come up and which topics were they? im just curious about other exam boards and if their contents helped with the olympiad

Original post by daisie
We do the AQA spec and we've done Atomic Structure, Amount of Substance, Bonding, Periodicity and naming organic compounds and isomers

Original post by Hellomynameis..
Dw guys , I did it when I was in lower sixth and found it hard, but the thing is u only need like 15 marks to get a bronze.

Original post by a.v.a.v
ahh, you're a lower sixth student too, similar situations then. I'm sure you did well. I've looked at a couple of past papers but no point really revising since most of the paper is a2 level or not on the a level spec at all. The organic synthesis questions are practically impossible -_-. Questions 1,2 and 3 were answerable then huh?

Original post by Crème brûlée
Qu 1, 2 and 3 are ok, but I couldn't do 4 and 5 AT ALL because it's a2 stuff :tongue:

Original post by nut3lla8
Yess I did it today too

guys please, i dont want the answers, just the major topics and what to expect, i can feel a panic attack comming on please, i dont want answers please guys im begging
this thread has gotten over 700 views, one of you have an answer, and I know some of you who i have quoted are online now, come one, wouldnt you want someone to do the same
you can dm me as well
i know you are reading my comments
there are bloody 794 views. one of youse has an answer. surely if you were in my position you would want help.

just someone reply to me idc what just reply
Reply 26
Original post by foreverfailing00
there are bloody 794 views. one of youse has an answer. surely if you were in my position you would want help.

just someone reply to me idc what just reply

It's not really fair to tell because it would only disadvantage those that have already taken the test.
Original post by daisie
It's not really fair to tell because it would only disadvantage those that have already taken the test.

firstly, i just asked what topics were included i.e. organic sythesis, moles, acids not full on 1a) and i'll give you 1 grand if someone hasnt already told people whats on the test this year. and finally i asked if there was enthalpy which i still dont have an answer for
guys how hard do you think it will be to get a bronze? predictions for the grade boundaries?
Reply 29
Original post by sfaraj
guys how hard do you think it will be to get a bronze? predictions for the grade boundaries?

I was wondering that too. It could be somewhere around 14 if they use the 2014/2015 boundaries but then it could be 18 if they use last years.
Original post by daisie
I was wondering that too. It could be somewhere around 14 if they use the 2014/2015 boundaries but then it could be 18 if they use last years.

Last years one was out of 100 and this year was out of 75 . So u are looking at anywhere between 10-14 for bronze. From experience I believe this years one was slightly harder the last years anyway so I'm thinking 11/75 will be bronze this year. No need to stress out, the test is meant to be very hard even for the A2 and especially for AS. So just believe in your self and hopefully u will get a bronze or even maybe a silver or gold.
i'd like to apologise for the way i acted, do you guys have tips for the test? I have mine tomorrow at 8 because my school thought it would be easier to have it in the morning since we all was p1 and p2 off. So i'll be here around 11-ish so we aren't cheating and by tomorrow everyones done it? yeah so tomorrow 11? @daisie @sfaraj ? sound good?
What do you guys think the boundaries will be for a silver or gold? I'm hoping that the minimum for a silver is 20.
Original post by Hellomynameis..
Just do past papers

Original post by Crème brûlée
Has anyone else done it yet? I just did it today :smile:

Original post by nut3lla8
Yess I did it today too

Original post by a.v.a.v
I've got it tomorrow... Was it really hard :/ ?

Original post by daisie
Any predictions for the boundaries?

i just did it! what did ypu find the hardest? i thought q4 was kinda hard. whatdis you get for q1,2,3
Lol, I wanted to do this Olympiad, but my teacher forgot and couldn't register. Can someone tell me when the 2017 paper becomes public on their website?

Also, how many questions were there?
Reply 35
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Lol, I wanted to do this Olympiad, but my teacher forgot and couldn't register. Can someone tell me when the 2017 paper becomes public on their website?

Also, how many questions were there?

5 questions with varying number of parts
Original post by foreverfailing00
i just did it! what did ypu find the hardest? i thought q4 was kinda hard. whatdis you get for q1,2,3

I think I messed up question 1 because I didn't use ions in my equation which was rather silly. Question 2 was okayish, tbh I can't really remember much of the paper. Question 4 was very difficult, hardly answered any of the parts. Absolutely loathe organic questions like that. I'm praying that I got enough for silver this year.
What do you guys think the boundaries will be for a silver or gold? I'm hoping that the minimum for a silver is 20.

Last year it was 26% for a silver, so yeah I think it'll be around 19.5 marks
And gold is usually about 45% so like 34 marks this year
Reply 38
When are the grade boundaries released?
Original post by daisie
When are the grade boundaries released?

The Mark Scheme was given to the schools on Friday morning. I'll give it a little less than a month before we hear anything about what we got. Last year I heard back late February early march.

Quick Reply

Latest