The Student Room Group

FRENCH: "Foutent" = "****ing" ?

I'm very very confused.

I listened to Veruca Salt's song, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and one line of the lyrics sounds like:

"Qui prennent les narines et qui foutent !
Et qui foutent"

When I Google Translated (yes, I know I shouldn't use this) the lyrics, it said that "Foutent" means ****ing.

Proof:

Here if anyone wants to listen:

[video="youtube;VdB3UI5eEk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdB3UI5eEk4[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@CheeseIsVeg Do you know anything about this? I know that you really like French :h:
Original post by AshEntropy
@CheeseIsVeg Do you know anything about this? I know that you really like French :h:

No, it's not "foutent"! It's "fouettent", from the infinitive "fouetter", meaning "to whip". Presumably all the ingredients are going to be whipped together?
Reply 3
Original post by Anna Schoon
It's "fouettent"

Oh dear
That's the last time I trust lyrics I find on a French forum!!! :angry:
it sounds like fouettent
Reply 5
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
it sounds like fouettent

I looked on a French Forum and they wrote:

Veruca Salt, sale petite peste, dans les ordures on s�en d�laisse !
Elle va trouver en descendant, des amis vraiment diff�rent !
Des amis vraiment diff�rent !

Une t�te de poisson en blanquette, coup� s�matin et pleine d�arr�tes !
Une huitre cuite en b�chamel !
Un steack plus dur qu�une semelle !
Et d�autres choses plus ou moins net !
Qui prennent les narines et qui foutent !
Et qui foutent !
Ses nouveau amis Veruca, va les retrouv�s tout en bas !
Ses nouveau amis Veruca !

Qui donc pourris cet jeune fille, c�dant toute ses envies !
Qui en fait une vrai peste !
Ou sont les coupables !
Qui donc est-ce les responsables !
Mais quels d�gats !
C�est maman et cher pa�pa !
No idea how you came about casually listening to that song by choice in the first place and then noticing one word, searching it up and finding out it could be a 'naughty-naughty'? In French as well - preparing for a listening exam? :mmm:
Reply 7
Original post by BrainyBengali
No idea how you came about casually listening to that song by choice in the first place and then noticing one word, searching it up and finding out it could be a 'naughty-naughty'? In French as well - preparing for a listening exam? :mmm:

Hahah no! I'm at University now, studying Biology :colondollar: I just really like French and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I wanted to see how French dealt with the rhyming, but then I noticed that word
I looked on a French Forum and they wrote:

Veruca Salt, sale petite peste, dans les ordures on s�en d�laisse !
Elle va trouver en descendant, des amis vraiment diff�rent !

Une t�te de poisson en blanquette, coup� s�matin et pleine d�arr�tes !
Une huitre cuite en b�chamel !
Un steack plus dur qu�une semelle !
Et d�autres choses plus ou moins net !
Qui prennent les narines et qui foutent !
Et qui foutent !
Ses nouveau amis Veruca, va les retrouv�s tout en bas !
Ses nouveau amis Veruca !

Qui donc pourris cet jeune fille, c�dant toute ses envies !
Qui en fait une vrai peste !
Ou sont les coupables !
Qui donc est-ce les responsables !
Mais quels d�gats !
C�est maman et cher pa�pa !

you wouldn't pronounce foutent "fwet" though.
Reply 9
you wouldn't pronounce foutent "fwet" though.

That's what I thought, I wonder if this guy on the French forum is just trolling people. . .
That's what I thought, I wonder if this guy on the French forum is just trolling people. . .

I think he is tbh lol
Reply 11
I think he is tbh lol

Damn, I've been successfully trolled :angry:

Let me have a read through their "lyrics" for the other songs and I'll see if they all contain swears
@Josb What's the f word in French?
Reply 13
Original post by Eternalflames

My French teacher at GCSE said that there were a lot of ways of saying it depending on if it was a noun/verb.
Reply 14
Original post by Eternalflames

Oh yes she said that there isn't actually a specific word for it, that the f word in French is just other words but put into a strong sentence / context.

E.g. - "Baiser" means "To kiss" but used in a strong context / sentence it = f'ck
It is a great film though. And book. :u:

Do you prefer book or film versions more, generally? Whilst there's more detail and originality in novels, having watched Harry P beforehand helped me imagine and read the characters in their respective voices and see them in my head. (Spoiler, I know but the books were a trek to get through whilst young :s-smilie:)
Reply 16
I'm very very confused.

I listened to Veruca Salt's song, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and one line of the lyrics sounds like:

"Qui prennent les narines et qui foutent !
Et qui foutent"

When I Google Translated (yes, I know I shouldn't use this) the lyrics, it said that "Foutent" means f***ing.

Proof:

Here if anyone wants to listen:

[video="youtube;VdB3UI5eEk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdB3UI5eEk4[/video]

It's "fouettent", they stink. Ils foutent doesn't make any sense there.
Reply 17
Original post by Josb
It's "fouettent", they stink. Ils foutent doesn't make any sense there.

Huh..? But someone earlier in this thread said that it means "To whip"? Anyway - I got trolled by the guy that wrote the """"French Lyrics"""" on their French Forum.. :frown:

Original post by BrainyBengali
It is a great film though. And book. :u:

Do you prefer book or film versions more, generally? Whilst there's more detail and originality in novels, having watched Harry P beforehand helped me imagine and read the characters in their respective voices and see them in my head. (Spoiler, I know but the books were a trek to get through whilst young :s-smilie:)

Mhm good question. I prefer books, but I prefer films if they follow the books well (just like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory)
Reply 18
Huh..? But someone earlier in this thread said that it means "To whip"? Anyway - I got trolled by the guy that wrote the """"French Lyrics"""" on their French Forum.. :frown:

Fouetter means to whip, but it also means to stink in slang.
Reply 19
Original post by Josb
Fouetter means to whip, but it also means to stink in slang.

Oh hey cool, I love French :h:
Thanks for clearing this up, I'm not following that person's lyrics anymore :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending