The Student Room Group

Paying £9K annual fees for an ex-Poly Education

Anyone out there can explain to me why anyone would fork out £9K a year for an ex-Poly education?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nicolas1
Anyone out there can explain to me why anyone would fork out £9K a year for an ex-Poly education?

Because for some they get a valuable education which enables them to access jobs they otherwise would not be able to. Not everyone who goes to an ex poly fails.

Not everyone actually pays the money back.

Not everyone has the A level entrance for Oxford.

You could have figured that out for yourself.
Reply 2

Because for more than 99% of graduate jobs it's a perfectly adequate degree to have.
Reply 3
Depends, you could get to the same position as someone who went to a Russell group, but it would take longer and you probably have to be a lot more proactive in terms of finding new opportunities/ experiences. You might also do an MA, gives you a better chance.

But if your doing something creative, depending on how talented/ motivated you are, you'll find a way. You'd be surprised by the number of options available (to get experience, to develop your skills etc...) but you might need to do some digging.

Actually with most things really, there are other options outside of uni.

But those are my opinions, best of luck
You do not stand a chance if you are serious about your career. Try getting into Investment Banking with a degree from Wolverhampton or East London. A postgrad qualification is nothing more than a scam. If you do not have the grades for top institutions, you should not go at all. Its a waste of money. Thanks God the tax payer is no longer footing the bill.
Original post by Drewski
Because for more than 99% of graduate jobs it's a perfectly adequate degree to have.

99% of jobs do not require a degree. The decent ones that do will laugh at an ex-poly graduate.
Reply 6
You do not stand a chance if you are serious about your career. Try getting into Investment Banking with a degree from Wolverhampton or East London. A postgrad qualification is nothing more than a scam. If you do not have the grades for top institutions, you should not go at all. Its a waste of money. Thanks God the tax payer is no longer footing the bill.

Did your degree in IR from Keele help your own career in IB? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69159506&postcount=8

And yet you also seem to be jealous of potential Cambridge postgrads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69168140&postcount=660

BTW re "Thanks God the tax payer is no longer footing the bill." who pays for the written-off student loans?

Oh, and re Wolverhampton
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?id=12677&facets=CC.1262&keyword=investment&dateType=attended&startYear=&endYear=&incNoDates=true&start=0&count=10&filters=on&trk=ta-chg-school
A couple of examples:
VP at Deutchse Bank, went to Wolverhampton.
MD at Deutchse Bank, went to Wolverhampton.
Executive Director at UBS, went to Wolverhampton

At UEL
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?id=12700&facets=CC.1421&keyword=investment&dateType=attended&startYear=&endYear=&incNoDates=true&start=0&count=10&filters=on&trk=ta-chg-school
VP at Barclays Investment Bank, went to UEL
High Frequency Engineer at Barclays Capital, went to UEL
(edited 7 years ago)
(1) No, it did not! In fact, I found those without degrees were 3 steps ahead with valuable work experience! (2) Not jealous. Going to read for a Mphil in Medieval History is a waste of money. I know many with Masters degrees in dead end jobs. Check http://graduatefog.co.uk/ (3) very few graduates from ex-polys end up in graduate roles. And today I would certainly not bother getting a degree, especially in the social sciences.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
(1) No, it did not! In fact, I found those without degrees 3 steps ahead! (2) Keele is not an ex-poly and (3) very few graduates from ex-polys end up in graduate roles. And today I would certainly not bother getting a degree, especially in the social sciences.

As for Cambridge applicants, going to read for a Mphil in Medieval History is a waste of money. I know many with Masters degrees in dead end jobs.....

I didn't say it was, but not exactly Oxbridge is it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they tried to merge with the local poly when they (Keele) had some financial difficulties...

Did you look at the LinkedIn links I provided. Plenty of senior people in banking roles from Wolverhampton and UEL.

These employers look for good people, not "good" universities.

Edit to add: seems McKinsey doesn't turn away MPhil Historians from Cambridge.
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?id=12691&facets=CC.1371&keyword=MPhil%20History&dateType=attended&startYear=&endYear=&incNoDates=true&start=0&count=10&filters=on&trk=ta-chg-school
(edited 7 years ago)
You just seem bitter. Its up to them whether they want to take on the debt. Next you will be telling us only RG unis ought to exist and even then only for STEM subjects. Not everyone wnats to go into IB. the ex polys will do some courses that traditional unis do not. but which offer good employment prospects.
Original post by jneill
I didn't say it was, but not exactly Oxbridge is it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they tried to merge with the local poly when they (Keele) had some financial difficulties...

Did you look at the LinkedIn links I provided. Plenty of senior people in banking roles from Wolverhampton and UEL.

These employers look for good people, not "good" universities.

Edit to add: seems McKinsey doesn't turn away MPhil Historians from Cambridge.
https://www.linkedin.com/edu/alumni?id=12691&facets=CC.1371&keyword=MPhil%20History&dateType=attended&startYear=&endYear=&incNoDates=true&start=0&count=10&filters=on&trk=ta-chg-school

Never said it was oxbridge, good luck to you....you probably are more knowledgeable of the world of work as a TSR moderator.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Never said it was oxbridge, good luck to you....you probably are more knowledgeable of the world of work as a TSR moderator.

And 30+ years of real work. Yes. TSR is a voluntary role.

What about the LinkedIn links? You do know what LI is don't you?
Original post by jneill
And 30+ years of real work. Yes. TSR is a voluntary role.

What about the LinkedIn links? You do know what LI is don't you?

Yes, I do and and I also know the lies associated with Higher Education which has become nothing more than an industry, pushing kids into debt for worthless degree certificates without an understanding of the alternatives out there is nothing more than criminal....
Reply 14
Yes, I do and and I also know the lies associated with Higher Education which has become nothing more than an industry, pushing kids into debt for worthless degree certificates without an understanding of the alternatives out there is nothing more than criminal....

That's a different debate.

Indeed, TSR is currently and actively promoting apprenticeships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Did your degree in IR from Keele help your own career in IB? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69159506&postcount=8

Interestingly, the only person I know who studied IR at Keele is also the only person I know who is a knight of the realm. Some people obviously thrive with such a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by ageshallnot
Interestingly, the only person I know who studied IR at Keele is also the only person I know who is a knight of the realm. Some people obviously thrive with such a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it's Sir Nicolas1!

(Kind of highlights it's not the university that makes the difference, it's the individual. :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

This rather outdated thought. It is a bit like saying, "Why would I pay £250 a night to stay in the newly refurbished 5* hotel when 20 years ago it was derelict?"

Most ex-polytechnics now universities are completely different institutions. It is the staff that work there, not the perceived history. I did my first degree at "proper" uni in the 90's. I am now doing a PGCE in a former polytechnic. The level of teaching I am receiving is vastly better than I got in my first university.

Don't judge a book by the title on the cover it had 30 years ago!
I never said Keele was a perfect institution. Would I go to it today and pay £9K a year for a social sciences/humanities degree? Except possibly Medicine or Pharmacy, certainly not. And decidedly not at some of the new 1992 universities/colleges of higher education who have taken the university badge. Universities are a business, nothing more. I would suggest you check http://graduatefog.co.uk/ and what people in £40K debt, struggling to pay their rents who have been pushed into higher education really end up doing after they graduate. Maybe their testimonies will change your mind and you will find it less amusing....then again maybe not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
I never said Keele was a perfect institution. Would I go to it today and pay £9K a year for a social sciences/humanities degree? Except possibly Medicine or Pharmacy, certainly not. Universities are a business. I would suggest you check http://graduatefog.co.uk/ and what people in debt who have been pushed into higher education really end up doing after they graduate. Maybe their testimonies will change your mind and you will find it less amusing....

So your contention is nothing to do with "ex-poly" or not. You just want everyone to either have a STEM degree or not "bother" to get a degree at all?

Just so we're clear.

Edit to add: I note the site you linked is sponsored by Grant Thornton's grad scheme. Interesting...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending