The Student Room Group

ISIS and Israeli flags social experiment.

Scroll to see replies

No surprise at all.

The video is clearly edited to show us what the guy wants us to see.

When he is waving the first flag students mostly just ignore him, which is the correct response. When he waves the second flag he makes much more of an effort to actually engage with people.

It's a nothing video.

And did the social experiment include surveys of the recognition factor for the respective flags, because frankly if someone put up an Isis flag outside the United Nations or along the Mall with the Commonwealth flags no one would notice for days.
In addition to the obvious criticisms already listed, the article headline is misleading. The guy was not attacked (unless of course you are one of those SJW-inspired alt-right types who believe free speech constitutes an attack).
Original post by Quantex
In addition to the obvious criticisms already listed, the article headline is misleading. The guy was not attacked (unless of course you are one of those SJW-inspired alt-right types who believe free speech constitutes an attack).

The term 'social experiment' pretty much seems to be code for acting like a douche. Just as the term 'playing devil's advocate' does.
(edited 7 years ago)
Attacked?

Lol'd.
Looks like fake news to me
Original post by Dodgypirate
You're a tool.

Irony.
Original post by Bornblue
The video is clearly edited to show us what the guy wants us to see.

When he is waving the first flag students mostly just ignore him, which is the correct response. When he waves the second flag he makes much more of an effort to actually engage with people.

It's a nothing video.

Plus the fact that he's not even really trying to come across as genuine with the ISIS flag. Everyone knows it's some sort of weird joke. With the Israeli flag he's much more obviously sincere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're both as evil as each other. However, I prefer Israelis to Arab muslims.
Another fake social experiment :facepalm:
Reminds me of Mr Salad's vids
[video="youtube;5UQP3OJCwJQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQP3OJCwJQ[/video]
F*ck Berkeley uni and all Israel haters. :cool:
Chicken and egg question for the left:

Does your hatred of Israel stem from your alliance with Islam or, did you ally yourself with Islam because of your shared hatred of Israel?

Its puzzled for awhile now, if any of you could help me out it would be much appreciated.
Reply 14
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
When he waves the Israeli flag he's clearly trying to provoke and get a response from people walking about (As what most zionists seem to be doing) and naturally he gets the response he wants.

He wouldn't "get the response he wants" if there wasn't an undercurrent of frankly abhorrent views about Israel and indeed the sense that it is socially acceptable to voice them in public.

I don't think it's some highly scientific social experiment, but it does at the very least show the extent of knuckle-dragging bigotry.
Original post by L i b
He wouldn't "get the response he wants" if there wasn't an undercurrent of frankly abhorrent views about Israel and indeed the sense that it is socially acceptable to voice them in public.

I don't think it's some highly scientific social experiment, but it does at the very least show the extent of knuckle-dragging bigotry.

Hardly.

The guy making the video clearly has an agenda and he's also in charge of editing the video.

As another poster mentioned, when he waves the ISIS flag, it's quite clearly an attention seeking, weird joke. Hence people just ignore it, which is exactly what they should be doing. The best response is to not give attention seekers the response they are looking for.

There is certainly more authenticity when he's waving the Israeli flag. He makes an effort to engage with people more. He doesn't get 'attacked', he gets challenged on his views by a small number of students. What's wrong with that? If we believe in free speech then of course people should be allowed to voice their concerns in public.

I'm surprised you've been taken in by what is quite clearly a biased and agenda liden video.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Bornblue
Hardly.

The guy making the video clearly has an agenda and he's also in charge of editing the video.

All the editing and agendas in the world cannot disguise the fact that he set up on one day to wave an Israeli flag and got some horrendous anti-Israeli abuse in the middle of the day on the walkways of an American university campus.

There is certainly more authenticity when he's waving the Israeli flag. He makes an effort to engage with people more. He doesn't get 'attacked', he gets challenged on his views by a small number of students. What's wrong with that?

In case you didn't notice, I didn't say he got attacked - nor did I even refer to the first half of the video about the ISIL flag. What's wrong with it? I'm not sure if you're so far down the rabbit hole that you think these sort of views are remotely acceptable. They certainly are not.

If we believe in free speech then of course people should be allowed to voice their concerns in public.

Oh come on, that's frankly the daftest point you could've made here. What you are doing is trying to answer criticism of the content of people's views with an argument that they have a right to state them.

We accept that people are allowed to hold different and frankly unpleasant views. There is, or at least should be, no question of that. What is worth discussing is whether some of these views are - like racism, bigotry and unwarranted prejudice - utterly abhorrent, and what has got us to the situation where this ugly underbelly of people think it is socially acceptable to shout these views around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L i b
All the editing and agendas in the world cannot disguise the fact that he set up on one day to wave an Israeli flag and got some horrendous anti-Israeli abuse in the middle of the day on the walkways of an American university campus.

In case you didn't notice, I didn't say he got attacked. What's wrong with it? I'm not sure if you're so far down the rabbit hole that you think these sort of views are remotely acceptable. They certainly are not.

Oh come on, that's frankly the daftest point you could've made here. What you are doing is trying to answer criticism of the content of people's views with an argument that they have a right to state them.

We accept that people are allowed to hold different and frankly unpleasant views. There is, or at least should be, no question of that. What is worth discussing is whether some of these views are - like racism, bigotry and unwarranted prejudice - utterly abhorrent, and what has got us to the situation where this ugly underbelly of people think it is socially acceptable to shout these views around.

The video makes out that people have no problem with ISIS. Again, people just ignore him, because when he waves the ISIS flag it's quite clearly a weird joke. Yet he's used that to bolster his argument somehow.

I wouldn't say he got 'horrendous anti-israel abuse'. You make it sound like he was attacked or given death threats. He tried to provoke people, by saying that 'Only Hamas is to blame'. That's clearly not true. Of course Hamas takes blame, but so too does Israel. That's a reasonable opinion. He also said 'Israel protects the human rights of Palestinians'. Again that's a deeply controversial and subjective statement. I don't see how challenging that is 'not even remotely acceptable'.

I don't see how opposing certain actions of the Israeli government are 'morally abhorrent'. You don't have a monopoly on morality. It can just as easily be said that defending certain actions of the Israeli government are morally abhorrent.

You seem to be triggered about the fact that certain people oppose the actions of Israel. Which is bizarre. Quite how that is racist, or bigoted, is anyones guess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Seems like the political rights version of free speech is 'I'm allowed to be an absolute douche and if you call me out on it you're suppressing my free speech and are probably a terrorist sympathiser.'
Original post by L i b

Being against Israel isn't abhorrent, it's rational.

No, no conclusions can be drawn from this. I doubt anyone took the ISIS bit seriously, but the israel bit seemed more genuine hence causing a reaction. The only bigotry here is you thinking that you can make conclusions from this silly video.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending