The Student Room Group

student nurse degree occupational health check

I have aps syndrome & rheumatiod arthritis & want to train as a nurse i am on apixaban but stable & dont drink smoke eat poorly blood pressure is 120/80 low cholestrol no other issues in exercise etc would this affect my university application at all? any advise welcome i work fulltime currently any one else with underyling health conditions doing student nurse degree ? i spoke with the sister at my hospital said not a issue had dvt last xmas i work in healthcare as care worker
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by PETER0007
I have aps syndrome & rheumatiod arthritis & want to train as a nurse i am on warfarin but stable & dont drink smoke eat poorly blood pressure is 120/80 low cholestrol no other issues in exercise etc would this affect my university application at all? any advise welcome i work fulltime currently any one else with underyling health conditions doing student nurse degree ? i spoke with the sister at my hospital said not a issue had dvt last xmas i work in healthcare as care worker

You'll have to wait until you have your student nurse occupational health assessment and discuss this with them and they should write to your own GP for further information about it before making a decision about whether you will be offered a place on the nursing degree course.
They are there for to assist you with anything so don't think you want be given a chance okay.

As you are currently working as a HCA in hospitals then there's nothing stopping you going to university for to become a nurse but remember that the final decision will be occupational health.
What your current ward sister says about it and what the occupational health assessment providers say about it is two completely different things but hopefully you'll be ok.

Good luck with your application for to be a student nurse.

@Emily_B
@moonkatt
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PETER0007
I have aps syndrome & rheumatiod arthritis & want to train as a nurse i am on warfarin but stable & dont drink smoke eat poorly blood pressure is 120/80 low cholestrol no other issues in exercise etc would this affect my university application at all? any advise welcome i work fulltime currently any one else with underyling health conditions doing student nurse degree ? i spoke with the sister at my hospital said not a issue had dvt last xmas i work in healthcare as care worker

It's all down to occupational health, which along with DBS check comes after applying, interviews, and being offered a place subject to A levels/equivalent qualifications.
Occupational health checks are about making sure you're fit to practice, and keeping you safe in practice. As long as you have proof your fit to work, you'll be fine.
Reply 3
yes friend of mine was nurse 20 years & runs care company should be ok.another is OT awaiting reply from her. thank you
Does anyone have an experience on being on prescribed antidepressants (low/mid dose) and this ever being an issue with getting into the nursing degree course? I have some really random questions and really would like a heads up before the big jump!
Reply 5
nursing can be very stress full. you need to be honest with yourself. if you feel upto it give it a go. but dont neglect your health and treatment.
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Does anyone have an experience on being on prescribed antidepressants (low/mid dose) and this ever being an issue with getting into the nursing degree course? I have some really random questions and really would like a heads up before the big jump!

This is usually not an issue, they may ask further just to understand it a bit better, but speaking from experience, it’s never been an issue for me

Nat
LJMU Student Nurse and Ambassador
Original post by LJMUStudentReps

This is usually not an issue, they may ask further just to understand it a bit better, but speaking from experience, it’s never been an issue for me

Nat

Thank you! You’re very knowledgeable!
Another related one - sorry! When are all these occupational health checks carried out? Is it before any offer by the university?
Another related one - sorry! When are all these occupational health checks carried out? Is it before any offer by the university?

It’s before you begin, but have confirmed your place with them. You’ll need to provide evidence of vaccinations and fill out a medical questionnaire, the Occupational Health department at the university will contact you about this

If any issues arise, they flag it up before you physically start the course, so for example, I needed to be tested for TB, and this flagged up and I was asked to arrange this once I began the course
Reply 10
Original post by paub
nursing can be very stress full. you need to be honest with yourself. if you feel upto it give it a go. but dont neglect your health and treatment.

I work in social care its easy no to stresssful can be at times health is fine very fit able thanks anyway
Reply 11
Original post by LJMUStudentReps

Nat

thank you nat i work in homecare no issues with my work at all
Reply 12

no offers conditonal &unconditional in place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending