The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Hey all, I just thought I would create a thread for OCR psychology for the new spec so that people could discuss revision or ask questions!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm doing the new OCR Psych spec too (and suffering with it because it seems that nobody else is on it!) How are you feeling about the content so far? :smile:

RIght now I'm really struggling with exam technique because my teachers aren't marking me consistently or accurately. Do you have any practice questions (marked) that you could take a picture of to show me? It seems that I know the content but writing for full marks is my problem :/
Great thread btw
Reply 2
So, my teacher gave me an example of an exam-style question structure.
The questions were: 1. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the Social Area in Psychology (6 marks)
-PEE/PEC (Point, Example, Explain/Comment)

One strength of the social area is that it helps us understand the psychology behind various historical events that cannot be recreated. For example, the study by Milgram helps us to explain the holocaust and Nazi Germany, helping us to explain why Nazis obeyed; due to obeying the authority of Hitler. Therefore, this is a strength as it becomes useful in not only understanding and explaining historical events, but in predicting behaviour for the future, and prevent certain behaviour.

A weakness of the social area is that it often breaks ethical guidelines. For example, Piliavin's field experiment was done covertly, the participants on the subway did not know they were participating in the experiment into helping behaviour. It broke ethical guidelines as people may not have wanted to participate had they had known, or they may have gone home feeling stressed and responsible if they had not helped. Therefore, this is a weakness of the social area as it often uses deception.
Reply 3
This is an example of a 12 marker version of the other question:

Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the social are in psychology (12 marks)

One strength of the social area is that it helps us to understand the psychology behind various historical events that cannot be recreated. Milgram's study on obedience showed that all participants shocked the "learner" up to 285 volts, suggesting situational psychology, in the way that we all obey authoritative figures. This can be used to explain the holocaust and Nazi Germany, helping us to explain why Nazis obeyed; due to obeying the authority of Hitler. This is helpful because it helps us to understand this significant event and help prevent it in the future. Furthermore, the importance of social processes in group activity helps to explain historic events like the London riots, and therefore can be useful in predicting it. Therefore, this is a strength as it becomes useful in not only understanding and explaining historical events, but in predicting behaviour for the future, and prevent certain behaviour.

Another strength of the social area is that it uses a wide range of creative methods that are scientific, and is not restricted to one method, usually collecting both quantitative and qualitative data. This then means that it is scientific and is not limited in its measurement. For example, Milgram's study was a controlled observation, which measures how participants responded, through observation (sweating, trembling) and quantitative data showed that all participants went up to 285 volts, which again reinforcces the fact that we obey. Furthermore, Piliavin's study was a field experiment that also showed that 90% of those helpers were males, and comments were made about the "drunk" victim; once more this has enabled us to scientifically measure cause and effect, but also provides an insight and explanation for it using both qualitative and quantitative data.

A weakness of the social area is that it is primarily situational. This explains behaviour as a cause of the situation someone experiences, suggesting we all behave the same way in the same situation. For example, Milgram's study showed that all participants went up to 285 volts, suggesting we all obey authoritative figures. However, this doesn't take into consideration individual differences within the situation, which takes a pessimistic stance in suggesting we all behave the same way. In Milgram's case, they didn't draw attention to the fact that some were more stressed than others, and that some withdrew before it had even started; furthermore, others may have responded differently but felt similar emotions (portraying stress differently: crying/ sweating/ biting lip). Therefore this is a weakness of the social area because it disregards individuality amongst situations which can actually differentiate behaviour between one another, and is of great importance in understanding how people not only respond the same in the same situation, but how they respond differently in the same situation also.

Another weakness of the social area is that it often breaks ethical guidelines in order to remain realistic and often high in ecological validity; the social area requires understanding of how humans are influenced by those around them, which often requires high ecological validity to validly measure this. This then usually requires deception or cause psychological harm. For example, Piliavin's field experiment was done covertly, the participants on the subway did not know they were participating in the experiment into helping behaviour; although this did allow us to accurately measure natural behaviour, it broke ethical guidelines as people may not have wanted to participate had they had known, or they may have gone home feeling stressed and responsible if they had not helped. Milgram is another example where participants may have gone feeling distressed and upset thinking they had shocked someone because of deception. Therefore, this is a weakness of the social area as it often uses deception or can create psychological harm in order to achieve high ecological validity.
what topics are you guys doing
Reply 5
Original post by blueriver
what topics are you guys doing

For the Applied Psychology paper i'm doing Criminal, Clinical and Environmental psychology
I'm doing criminal too, wanna share some notes and help etc
Reply 7
does anyone have the markscheme for the practice papers?
Reply 8
I'm doing criminal too, wanna share some notes and help etc

Yeah, sure thatwoyuld be great!
Reply 9
Original post by Awele18
does anyone have the markscheme for the practice papers?

Have you checked the OCR website?
Reply 10
Original post by PsychofKam
Have you checked the OCR website?

Yeah, but you need the teacher login and my teacher is off sick. :s-smilie:
Original post by Awele18
Yeah, but you need the teacher login and my teacher is off sick. :s-smilie:

What do you mean you need a teacher I thought all mark schemes are there except the 2016
Reply 12
What do you mean you need a teacher I thought all mark schemes are there except the 2016

I'm talking about the new practice papers that came out recently. It's the sample papers that have the mark scheme
Reply 13
Paniking, dont know how to study.. for the applied psychology, r we supposed to pick 3 topics? thought it was 2 along with meantal health one.
Reply 14
Original post by aruob
Paniking, dont know how to study.. for the applied psychology, r we supposed to pick 3 topics? thought it was 2 along with meantal health one.

You're right, it is like that.
Reply 15
Original post by Awele18
You're right, it is like that.

Thank you for the reply, a little less panicked now :smile:
Reply 16
Has anyone made any notes for research methods? and component 3, mental illness part. anything that can of help ??
Original post by aruob
Thank you for the reply, a little less panicked now :smile:

You pick 2 areas e.g forensic and Health then from there you have to revise all of the topics and the exam board picks one e.g forensic what makes a criminal and from then they give you 3 questions. This year we don't have the option for choice unfortuanatly... It's determined no free will :wink:
Reply 18
You pick 2 areas e.g forensic and Health then from there you have to revise all of the topics and the exam board picks one e.g forensic what makes a criminal and from then they give you 3 questions. This year we don't have the option for choice unfortuanatly... It's determined no free will :wink:

i read this online - in teachers support material that the studies had to be chosen in a certain way,- for instance, option 1 child psychology or criminal psychology and option 2 environmental or sports and exercise? is this how it is?
secondly, determinism, for component 2 and 3?
Original post by aruob
i read this online - in teachers support material that the studies had to be chosen in a certain way,- for instance, option 1 child psychology or criminal psychiuology and option 2 environmental or
yes and yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending