The Student Room Group

Tips on passing Functional skills Maths level 2

Hi,

Any tips for passing maths level 2 functional skills? I really need to pass. I'm doing all the revision I can, but would love some advice and support. :smile:

Have any of you guys done Functional skills level 2 maths? If so, how hard is it really?

Plus I'm doing this exam online , so wish me luck.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roy101
Hi,

Any tips for passing maths level 2 functional skills? I really need to pass. I'm doing all the revision I can, but would love some advice and support. :smile:

Have any of you guys done Functional skills level 2 maths? If so, how hard is it really?

The difficulty level of the maths is similar to a good C grade at GCSE. Depending on which examiner you are taking you may find the style of the questions is the main challenge. City and Guilds exams at level 2 are not easy, Edexcel are more straightforward. Doing as many practice papers as you can is key to success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm doing city and guilds... :/
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
The difficulty level of the maths is similar to a good C grade at GCSE. Depending on which examiner you are taking you may find the style of the questions is the main challenge. City and Guilds exams at level 2 are not easy, Edexcel are more straightforward. Doing as many practice papers as you can is key to success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing city and guilds...:/
Original post by Roy101
I'm doing city and guilds...:/

Have you found the practice papers on their web site?
There are very few practice tests that match exactly to the latest requirements so you'll probably want to do the older slightly different ones as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Have you found the practice papers on their web site?
There are very few practice tests that match exactly to the latest requirements so you'll probably want to do the older slightly different ones as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 6
Hey Good luck on it :smile: im currently doing level 2 as well I understand the frustration but the past papers are helping practicing and practicing the questions seems to help as well
Reply 7
Original post by leh.xo
Hey Good luck on it :smile: im currently doing level 2 as well I understand the frustration but the past papers are helping practicing and practicing the questions seems to help as well

Hey! Good luck to you too :smile: what practice papers are you doing may I ask?

Thanks
Reply 8
Thanks! well I'm just currently doing Edexcel last year papers you're doing an different exam board to mines right?
I am trying to attain enough knowledge to achieve a level 2 in functional skills but really finding it hard work due to number dyslexia and work , have you guys got any tips ? I am working my way through all the practise papers but thr main problem is i cannot retain the information.
Reply 10
Original post by Holycow 30
I am trying to attain enough knowledge to achieve a level 2 in functional skills but really finding it hard work due to number dyslexia and work , have you guys got any tips ? I am working my way through all the practise papers but thr main problem is i cannot retain the information.

I have dyslexia too :frown: make sure to time your self for the actual exam and write notes and test your self..so for example write questions on back of flash cards and write important thing on post it notes so you remember the info.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi,I have an exam on April the 28 and if I fail that one I have to re do it June, will it be the same paper because City & Guilds looks like does one paper for each year?
Original post by Onlychantele
Hi,I have an exam on April the 28 and if I fail that one I have to re do it June, will it be the same paper because City & Guilds looks like does one paper for each year?

No it won't be the same paper. City and guilds set multiple different papers over a time period and no candidate should sit the same paper twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roy101
Hi,

Hello

I need to do this as well.

How did it go?

Easy?
when doing the test,skip the areas you are weak at and return to them when you have completed the less challenging areas.
Original post by chrislarkin
when doing the test,skip the areas you are weak at and return to them when you have completed the less challenging areas.

Did you pass Functional Skills? & What exam board did you do or are doing?
Yes,i passed the city and guilds functional skills level 2 maths.i am a lecturer and had to take the test as I could not prove my quals from high school.The thing with L2 is the smoke and mirrors.It's almost as if they are trying to lead you astray with the complexity of the questions.
Reply 17
Hi could someone help pls. I need to take functional skills maths level 2 but i don't know where to sit it and how to organise it. please help
Original post by amvns
Hi could someone help pls. I need to take functional skills maths level 2 but i don't know where to sit it and how to organise it. please help

Have a look on the tutors & exams website. I am sitting mine today at the cost of £75 😳 Need it for uni, not had a maths lesson since 1999!!
Hi,

I have looked at taking functional skills maths level 2 with runway training that I found online. They said i could pass within 4-6 weeks if i put 3-4 hours per week study in. Has anyone used them before? And is this a realistic timescale for a possible pass? I am at GCSE grade D at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest