The Student Room Group

WHICH University ACCEPT ESSENTIAL SKILL LEVEL 2 IN NORTHERN IRELAND?

Does anybody know if essential skills level 2 are acceptable in university? I live in Northern Ireland and I am doing essential skill level 2. My plan is to pass this year and progress in the access course then go to university to do nursing courses. I searched and I found out that Ulster University accepts essential skill level 2 as equivalent to GCSE grade C/4. But I want to make sure it's really true before I get my hopes up for nothing.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by KumaT
Does anybody know if essential skills level 2 are acceptable in university? I live in Northern Ireland and I am doing essential skill level 2. My plan is to pass this year and progress in the access course then go to university to do nursing courses. I searched and I found out that Ulster University accepts essential skill level 2 as equivalent to GCSE grade C/4. But I want to make sure it's really true before I get my hopes up for nothing.

Yes, Ulster accept Essential Skills Level 2 for English and potentially for Maths too:

"All programmes at Ulster require candidates to have competence in written and spoken English and GCSE English Language (grades A-C/4-9) or an equivalent qualification such as Essential Skills or Functional Skills in Communication at Level 2.

Many of our programmes also ask for competency in Mathematics and/or Science at GCSE. In some cases we can accept equivalences such as Essential Skills or Functional Skills in Application of Number at Level 2 but please refer to the online prospectus to find out the specific GCSE requirements for your chosen course." (source)

Which specific nursing course were you considering? For "Nursing (Adult) - BSc (Hons)" they say here that:

"GCSE profile to include Grade C or 4 (or above) in English, Mathematics and Science

Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Communication will be accepted as equivalent to GCSE English

Pass in Level 2 Essential Skills Application of Number will be accepted as equivalent to GCSE Maths"

So Level 2 Essential Skills are fine for the Maths and English requirements. However, you'll note that they also mention Science. Do you have GCSE Science?
Reply 2
Omg, thank you so much for replying to me Now I am relieved. I am interested in doing Nursing (adult). No, I don't have a science GCSE I think I will just do it next year alongside my access course. Also, do you know if there is any college in Belfast that will accept access me if I have had any recent experience of formal education? Cause they only accept applicants who have not any recent experience in formal education. I will turn 19 next year on 10 August.
Original post by KumaT
Omg, thank you so much for replying to me Now I am relieved. I am interested in doing Nursing (adult). No, I don't have a science GCSE I think I will just do it next year alongside my access course. Also, do you know if there is any college in Belfast that will accept access me if I have had any recent experience of formal education? Cause they only accept applicants who have not any recent experience in formal education. I will turn 19 next year on 10 August.

Sorry, I've no idea about colleges in Belfast.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Sorry, I've no idea about colleges in Belfast.

It's okay thanks for your help☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending