The Student Room Group

Safer Internet day: Should there be an age limit on having social media

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retired_Messiah
idk fam when I ever read the posts from past me I feel like I wanna go back in time and euthanise myself so limits should be more like 16 to avoid that kinda thing.

That never really stops...
The reason that the 'big' social networks - alongside the vast majority of Internet services - have an age limit of 13 is that the US law COPPA requires children under that age to have parental permission to use the sites. As this would be a huge and largely pointless undertaking for an organisation, they generally just enforce an age limit of 13 in their Terms and Conditions. By enforce, of course, I mean that they stipulate it but don't necessarily track it (again, this would be a huge undertaking), and as such it becomes a 'wink and nod' agreement.

I have no doubt that, if COPPA didn't exist, Facebook and co. would not have an age restriction.
Id say 16+, Started on social media when I was about 12 and wish I never had. Its become such a pain.
Original post by shawn_o1
If I ever become a parent my kids will not have a "smartphone" until I can trust them to be smart with their own finances. Also they will not have access to the internet until I can trust them to go out by themselves and return home safely.

Well, unfortunately, that rules out about 2/3 of those over 18, because most ppl have NO idea how to handle money. A mate of mine has a daughter, and she wanted an allowance. She is 11 i think. He said, no - what they would do is give her a budget. He set up a 'family bank', and they would pay in the appropriate amount to her account. Either parent would act as 'banker' if she wanted some money. They would reconcile the books when they got home. She could 'borrow ahead'. In no time at all, the girl was considerably in debt. She noticed that she was getting less each week. Her mum explained that she was being charged interest on her outstanding balance - and showed her how the bank charged 'mum and dad' the same way. She decided that wasn't much fun, so she paid back her debt. Then, she went to her dad, and wanted to open a 'savings account'. They set one up. The child noticed that she wasn't getting as much in interest on her savings as she had been charged on her loan. Mum explained that 'big people's' banks had to do the same, in order to make money to stay in business.

I asked my mate if the daughter had asked to open a margin trading account yet. He laughed, and said - not yet, but i guess that's next.

Cheers.
I joined social media at 13 (facebook) but didn't use it until I was 14
Original post by Willy Pete
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and Snapchat all have an age limit of 13 according to the T&Cs.

But no practical way of verifying age.

This is due to COPPA.
No, would be my simple answer. An age limit would be largely ignored.
Reply 27
Original post by Rabbit20164
Well, unfortunately, that rules out about 2/3 of those over 18, because most ppl have NO idea how to handle money. A mate of mine has a daughter, and she wanted an allowance. She is 11 i think. He said, no - what they would do is give her a budget. He set up a 'family bank', and they would pay in the appropriate amount to her account. Either parent would act as 'banker' if she wanted some money. They would reconcile the books when they got home. She could 'borrow ahead'. In no time at all, the girl was considerably in debt. She noticed that she was getting less each week. Her mum explained that she was being charged interest on her outstanding balance - and showed her how the bank charged 'mum and dad' the same way. She decided that wasn't much fun, so she paid back her debt. Then, she went to her dad, and wanted to open a 'savings account'. They set one up. The child noticed that she wasn't getting as much in interest on her savings as she had been charged on her loan. Mum explained that 'big people's' banks had to do the same, in order to make money to stay in business.

I asked my mate if the daughter had asked to open a margin trading account yet. He laughed, and said - not yet, but i guess that's next.

Cheers.

Did they also give her magazines she didn't read or insurance she didn't need and charge her £25 a month for the privilege?
Original post by jneill
Did they also give her magazines she didn't read or insurance she didn't need and charge her £25 a month for the privilege?
From the sounds of it, yes xd.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That never really stops...

Yeah but 16 year old you is a much better version of yourself than 12 or 13 year old you normally unless you went through some bad times.
I'd say it should be over 16+ but its 13....
and u can just type in a fake birthday date.They have no way of checking so there really is no point
Original post by BexiiLouise
Id say 16+, Started on social media when I was about 12 and wish I never had. Its become such a pain.

i have no social media at all and am 15...but then there's YT to distract me:frown:
Original post by jneill
From the coverage of this on BBC Breakfast this morning the kids were MUCH more concerned by their parents posting up photos/comments of their children.

There should be a limit of age 29. Any older and you're banned from social media.

Oh...

:rofl: PRSOM
Original post by Rabbit20164

Cheers.

Brilliant anecdote. :smile:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Yeah but 16 year old you is a much better version of yourself than 12 or 13 year old you normally unless you went through some bad times.

I only have to go back a week to induce mega cringe.
Had social media at 10, because my parents knew I was mature enough. Same reason I was allowed to watch/play 18s from a much earlier age. Arbitrary age limits are pointless, the responsibility is with the parent to ensure their child isn't doing anything they're not ready for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Isn't there already a limit? People lie....
Set the age limit at 100. Then basically no one can use social media and the world would be a much better, less annoying place.
Original post by tamil fever
i have no social media at all and am 15...but then there's YT to distract me:frown:

TSR is social media...
Setting an age limit will make no difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending