The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I thank God for blessing me rn, and allowing me to skip by this thread.77

About me: Currently do maths, physics, chemistry and economics. I would like to do Economics and Maths at LSE or Oxbridge. Recently just got a work experience opportunity at 'Brewin Dolphin' and I love pizza.

Kev please check your pm, I would love to be on the Edexcel FB chat
Reply 81
I have now added two more essays: 'Individual Labour Supply Essay (OCR)' and 'Non Pecuniary / Monetary Benefits Essay (OCR)'.

These essays are also relevant to the Edexcel and AQA exam boards, and thus have been added to the 'Relevant Essays From Other Exam Boards' in the A-Level Year 2 folders for AQA and Edexcel :smile:
Reply 82
Hi. I'm in year 11 and I'm considering doing Maths, Chemistry and Economics. Economics seems really interesting and I think it'll be different from your typical Maths and Science A Levels. I really enjoy Maths so I was wondering how maths based economics is and what sorts of things does the A Level involve learning? Also my school only allows 3 A Levels so I have the added stress of not being able to drop Economics at the end of year 12 in case I don't like it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 83
Hi! Got a question on economic rent and transfer earning.
How will the introduction of national minimum wage affect the economic rent and transfer earning? Could you please draw a dragram? Thanks a lot!!!!
Reply 84
Original post by Sk2001
Hi. I'm in year 11 and I'm considering doing Maths, Chemistry and Economics. Economics seems really interesting and I think it'll be different from your typical Maths and Science A Levels. I really enjoy Maths so I was wondering how maths based economics is and what sorts of things does the A Level involve learning? Also my school only allows 3 A Levels so I have the added stress of not being able to drop Economics at the end of year 12 in case I don't like it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi,
I'm currently studying A2 Economics, Maths, F. Maths, physics.

I don't know which exam board your school uses, but it's pretty similar for most boards I'm afraid; very little maths and nothing complex where there is. There is some basic graph analysis needed but other than that it's percentages really.
However at University level you can do some pretty good stuff in Economics using maths, hence why I've applied for Economics and Mathematics degrees. You could look at the exam board(s) specification to see if the content interests you because although I despise the exam structure, I've really enjoyed what we've learnt so far.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by yelash
Hi,
I'm currently studying A2 Economics, Maths, F. Maths, physics.

I don't know which exam board your school uses, but it's pretty similar for most boards I'm afraid; very little maths and nothing complex where there is. There is some basic graph analysis needed but other than that it's percentages really.
However at University level you can do some pretty good stuff in Economics using maths, hence why I've applied for Economics and Mathematics degrees. You could look at the exam board(s) specification to see if the content interests you because although I despise the exam structure, I've really enjoyed what we've learnt so far.

My exam board for economics is AQA. What do you not enjoy about the exam structure, is it the essay writing. I think I'm just gonna go for Economics and see how it goes, I can always change in the first week or so. One reason I am doing economics is because I've heard that it's a "softer" A Level but some say there is no such thing as a "soft" A Level. Is this true about Economics?
Reply 86
Original post by Sk2001
My exam board for economics is AQA. What do you not enjoy about the exam structure, is it the essay writing. I think I'm just gonna go for Economics and see how it goes, I can always change in the first week or so. One reason I am doing economics is because I've heard that it's a "softer" A Level but some say there is no such thing as a "soft" A Level. Is this true about Economics?

Yeah it's the essay writing. My exam board (OCR) are trending towards the aqa spec of 2* 25 markers in each paper at A2. The spec Economics is interesting, but you will get an D/E with only knowledge. Most of the marks seen to be in 'exam technique ' i.e. wrote learning answers to essay questions rather than allocating enough time in the exam for thinking and writing. This isn't Economics in my opinion.
I would consider it a fairly "soft" AS LEVEL, however as they're now doing two year courses now, I consider it to be quite challenging. Certainly for most people there won't be a decent grade without a decent level of effort.

Personally Core maths is far easier, but I would consider A2 Chemistry (from what I know about it) to be about on par with Economics in terms of difficulty and effort required.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by yelash
Yeah it's the essay writing. My exam board (OCR) are trending towards the aqa spec of 2* 25 markers in each paper at A2. The spec Economics is interesting, but you will get an D/E with only knowledge. Most of the marks seen to be in 'exam technique ' i.e. wrote learning answers to essay questions rather than allocating enough time in the exam for thinking and writing. This isn't Economics in my opinion.
I would consider it a fairly "soft" AS LEVEL, however as they're now doing two year courses now, I consider it to be quite challenging. Certainly for most people there won't be a decent grade without a decent level of effort.

Personally Core maths is far easier, but I would consider A2 Chemistry (from what I know about it) to be about on par with Economics in terms of difficulty and effort required.

Ok thanks for the help
Reply 88
I have now added two more essays: 'Ageing Population Essay (OCR)' and 'Migration Essay (OCR)'.

These essays are also relevant to the Edexcel and AQA exam boards, and thus have been added to the 'Relevant Essays From Other Exam Boards' in the A-Level Year 2 folders for AQA and Edexcel :smile:
Reply 89
I have now added two more essays: 'Behaviour of an Oligopoly Essay (OCR)' and 'Monopolistic Competition (Short Run and Long Run) Essay'.

These essays are also relevant to the Edexcel, AQA and WJEC exam boards, and thus have been added to the 'Relevant Essays From Other Exam Boards' in the A-Level Year 2 folders for AQA, Edexcel and WJEC :smile:
Original post by Sk2001
Thanks.

Sup dude,

I do maths, economics, computing and geography.

Only doing 3 alevels is more stressful however it's better I think as you focus on getting 3 good alevels rather than potentially getting 4 med/bad ones(grades).

Economics alevel is split into two parts, micro and macro one paper for each.
The maths in economics isn't difficult. It's just working out percentages from given values in either a graph or table. We calculate elasticity which is easy, just gotta know the formulas. Micro we cover government intervention, gov failure, public goods, inferior goods stuff like that. Macro is aggregate demand and the economy as a whole. It's interesting and I do enjoy it however you can't drop it after the first year as if you do you won't get an AS - doesn't apply to you as your only doing 3

Maths alevel on the other hand is difficult but not impossible. Currently Im doing c1, c2 and s1. C1 is easy however it's so so easy to make stupid mistakes.
Original post by KevinLonge
Hi guys. I am student that is now studying economics at UCL, but in my spare time I have decided to write economics essays (for A-Levels) and answer people's economics-related questions. The essays will all be available on dropbox, and I hope to do this for all of the exam boards, but my main focus will be on OCR, Edexcel and AQA (WJEC and IB will still have some content, however). Many essays, however,are relevant to all of the exam boards, and so the dropbox folders for each of the exam boards will have some essays that are specific to the exam board, but also essays from other ones when there is overlap.

I will be producing essays on a weekly or fortnightly basis simply of my own accord. If any of you, however, do have a particular essay you want written, just post it in the thread (or message me) and I will consider writing it (or asking someone else to), assuming that it sounds like a worthwhile essay request. The link below contains a link to all of the free resources so far.

DISCLAIMER (To Students and Moderators) - This is NOT any sort of essay writing service for university students (to cheat on assignments), but rather just a large stockpile / archive of A-level economics essays that can serve as useful references when trying to write model answer essays for economics.

Free Resources / Essays:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63tmfqty2syk5dv/AABURfjfg29o-rNufXLjVM-5a?dl=0

Below, I will also post a link to a website of other economics resources (some of mine are linked there as well) that is being run by another university undergraduate.

StudyWise (Economics Page):
http://studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision/economics/

Lastly, I will simply be answering questions from anyone who posts in this thread, and I plan to go through all unanswered questions at least once a week, but do bear in mind that I may not have time to get back to all of you as I am still in university. That about wraps things up. I hope that I can be of help to all of you and make your economics revision faster, and a bit less painless haha :smile:

thank you so much
Reply 92
Original post by ydnmz20
thank you so much

No worries :smile:
Reply 93
Just bumping this thread up so that people can see it (in case any of the essays or whatnot are useful) :smile:
Original post by Mr-anonymous
Sup dude,

I do maths, economics, computing and geography.

Only doing 3 alevels is more stressful however it's better I think as you focus on getting 3 good alevels rather than potentially getting 4 med/bad ones(grades).

Economics alevel is split into two parts, micro and macro one paper for each.
The maths in economics isn't difficult. It's just working out percentages from given values in either a graph or table. We calculate elasticity which is easy, just gotta know the formulas. Micro we cover government intervention, gov failure, public goods, inferior goods stuff like that. Macro is aggregate demand and the economy as a whole. It's interesting and I do enjoy it however you can't drop it after the first year as if you do you won't get an AS - doesn't apply to you as your only doing 3

Maths alevel on the other hand is difficult but not impossible. Currently Im doing c1, c2 and s1. C1 is easy however it's so so easy to make stupid mistakes.

I do Economics and Computing as well!
Original post by KevinLonge
Just bumping this thread up so that people can see it (in case any of the essays or whatnot are useful) :smile:

Do you have any tips on how to do well on multiple choice? I do rubbish on them:colondollar:
Original post by stressedteen
Do you have any tips on how to do well on multiple choice? I do rubbish on them:colondollar:

Just keep doing them again and again and try to understand not only why something is the answer - but why the other options are wrong. To be honest, my economics teacher is one of the best in the world and that's why I'm doing good with not much hard work 😒, if u ever need help on multiple choice feel free to ask me !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14
Just keep doing them again and again and try to understand not only why something is the answer - but why the other options are wrong. To be honest, my economics teacher is one of the best in the world and that's why I'm doing good with not much hard work 😒, if u ever need help on multiple choice feel free to ask me !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my, lucky you hahah! I do well in most part of Economics but the multiple choice:colondollar:I do have multiple choice homework that I've attempted and would love for you to check over if its not too much of a hassle for you?:smile:
Original post by stressedteen
Oh my, lucky you hahah! I do well in most part of Economics but the multiple choice:colondollar:I do have multiple choice homework that I've attempted and would love for you to check over if its not too much of a hassle for you?:smile:

No, you can send it over if you feel like it :smile:, no hassle at all. I do the AQA exam board so it may be different and I may get it wrong as other exam boards interpret information in different ways too and have a different multiple choice style, but I'll try my best ! :smile:
Original post by Chittesh14
No, you can send it over if you feel like it :smile:, no hassle at all. I do the AQA exam board so it may be different and I may get it wrong as other exam boards interpret information in different ways too and have a different multiple choice style, but I'll try my best ! :smile:

I do AQA as well, I'll private message you now!

Latest