The Student Room Group

A level choices HELP

I’m currently in yr 11 and I’m not sure about choices.
I’m 100% choosing maths as I really enjoy it and got a 9 in the yr 10 mocks.
I’m fairly sure I want to do economics as I think it’ll be interesting and goes with maths. I think it’s good to have one essay subject as well (even if not at the level of English lit or history)?not important tho

Lastly I’m thinking biology as it also goes with maths, it’ll keep my options open and I find it enjoyable. Ngl I’ve heard nothing but horror stories but I know that everyone has their opinions. I got a 9 in the mock (triple) so I’m hopeful.

Only thing is I’m thinking about doing finance or economics at uni and I know there are no requirements to do FM anywhere but i defo feel it will limit me if I don’t take it. I could either take it as a forth and miss out on frees and constrict my time. Although i know people say it doesn’t feel like a full a level.

OR do it instead of bio but them I think that stops myself from exploring other avenues as maths FM and economics is very specific.

Either way I’d love to hear any opinions or advice people might have on if I should bother or just leave it as it is. X
Reply 1
Don’t ever do bio it’s horrible the mark scheme is soo specific and the content isn’t even all that tbh
Reply 2
Original post by haironfire
I’m fairly sure I want to do economics as I think it’ll be interesting and goes with maths. I think it’s good to have one essay subject as well (even if not at the level of English lit or history)?not important tho

Lastly I’m thinking biology as it also goes with maths, it’ll keep my options open and I find it enjoyable. Ngl I’ve heard nothing but horror stories but I know that everyone has their opinions. I got a 9 in the mock (triple) so I’m hopeful.

Only thing is I’m thinking about doing finance or economics at uni and I know there are no requirements to do FM anywhere but i defo feel it will limit me if I don’t take it. I could either take it as a forth and miss out on frees and constrict my time. Although i know people say it doesn’t feel like a full a level.

OR do it instead of bio but them I think that stops myself from exploring other avenues as maths FM and economics is very specific.

Either way I’d love to hear any opinions or advice people might have on if I should bother or just leave it as it is. X

Hi! I feel like you should do maths/economics/biology as they go together but they also open up many pathways for if you ever change your mind on what you want to do.
I wouldn't recommend doing further maths unless you really need it (which I don't think you do) as it's quite difficult and will potentially bring down the grades of your other subjects. Plus, like you mentioned, having an extra a level will take away from your frees and social time.
Also, you still have time to change your mind up until a few weeks into year 12 so keep that in mind and don't stress over the choices too much. If you want you can trial further maths as a fourth a level at the start of y12 and then decide whether you wish to continue with it or not. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Aga19
Hi! I feel like you should do maths/economics/biology as they go together but they also open up many pathways for if you ever change your mind on what you want to do.
I wouldn't recommend doing further maths unless you really need it (which I don't think you do) as it's quite difficult and will potentially bring down the grades of your other subjects. Plus, like you mentioned, having an extra a level will take away from your frees and social time.
Also, you still have time to change your mind up until a few weeks into year 12 so keep that in mind and don't stress over the choices too much. If you want you can trial further maths as a fourth a level at the start of y12 and then decide whether you wish to continue with it or not. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I think that’s the plan of action 👍
Reply 4
Original post by haironfire

Have you checked all the unis you might go to?

Quick Reply

Latest