The Student Room Group

Academic rigour at UCL/LSE/Bristol/KCL

Hi! This will be catered mostly to students of Bristol! Especially Singaporeans. I've received an offer from Bristol, just wanted to ask some questions.

I was actually pretty happy with Bristol until I heard about how they were not very recognized in my country, which I plan to practice in, Singapore. And also the fact that there were many Singaporeans and so cultural exposure was nothing much, difficult to travel around, little internship opportunities, 6 modules.

I'm coming from a position where despite obtaining good grades at the A levels, I am generally a poor student. I'm not one of those 'brilliantly smart' students and my As were a pleasant surprise. One of my main priorities is career opportunities, in which case my local university, NUS, would seem to have the upper hand. Yet, I'm also looking at somewhere without intense competition/90% of cohort being brilliantly bright such that I lose out and become bottom 10%. Doing great at a small school VS doing poorly at a great school and all that, and NUS is one such 'great school' haha.

So I was happy with Bristol thinking the cohort might not be so over-achieving/pressurising/stressul, yet I realised that they have 6 modules compared to other schools, and little flexibility in terms of modules. Would that mean the school life is tougher in Bristol?

In addition, some schools rely on a 100% year-end examination. This is a great concern obviously haha. Any advice on whether it is truly so all or nothing, or whether there are consistent examinations throughout the school year that advise you on your standing and all that so that your end-year grade is actually pretty predictable etc would be great!

One more concern is the guidance available from teachers. I am the kind of student that requires a lot of guidance/instructions and am pretty poor at just magically producing whatever the teacher happened to have in mind. I was wondering how Bristol copes with this?

In summary, would love advice/opinions on the following points!:
1. Intelligence of the whole cohort (lol)
2. Academic rigour in Bristol/module info
3. 100% year end exam vs a few
4. Guidance from teachers
5. Internship opportunities for intl students (likely in London, have heard that Bristol is too far away etc) (London firms dislike intl students, whether schools will arrange/hv progs etc)
6. School culture!*

Less impt things:
1. Horses?? Dogs?? Animal-related interest groups??
2. Anything else interesting!

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you :smile: Btw we do not have A* here, A is the top.

*I think this ties in with the competitiveness etc. I hated my past schools' school culture (top schools) and am really looking forward to a more relaxed, united actual school spirit and culture in university haha.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even if you had straight A's, the minimum to be even considered at them unis are A*AA...
Original post by Ray04
Even if you had straight A's, the minimum to be even considered at them unis are A*AA...

Singaporean A Levels do not give out A*s. An A is the highest grade you can get.
Original post by JohnGreek
Surely then his offer should have been adjusted to something like AAA or ABB? If it was, OP's fine.

Yes, the offer for Singaporeans tends to be AAA. However, I think OP's issue is that he was first rejected on the basis of poor predicted grades, but has now received good actual grades and wants to appeal his rejection. (Results day in Singapore was only in late Feb)
Reply 4
Original post by christy98
Yes, the offer for Singaporeans tends to be AAA. However, I think OP's issue is that he was first rejected on the basis of poor predicted grades, but has now received good actual grades and wants to appeal his rejection. (Results day in Singapore was only in late Feb)

Yep! :smile: Christy, are you Singaporean?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by raineye22
Yep! :smile:

I'm not too sure myself if appealing will work, but you can give it a shot.

I would say it mostly depends on where you want to work after graduation. If you want to return to your home country, it would be better to go for a London uni (UCL/LSE/Kings) as they are obviously better known than Bristol. That is not to say that going to Bristol will give you zero career prospects, just that it will be slightly more advantageous to have gone to a London uni (given you graduate with a first or good 2:1). For example, almost all (if not all) of the Justice Law Clerks in SG right now are graduates with firsts from Oxbridge/UCL, alongside NUS. That's pretty much the most prestigious job you can land in public sector law after graduation.

But of course, if going overseas poses a problem for you financially, NUS would be a great choice as well. It's viewed in Singapore as virtually on par with the London unis, and in some situations it's even valued over Kings. (SMU is another story) But if you want to work in the UK after graduation, a local uni would definitely not be the way to go.

Edit: just saw your question. By citizenship, yes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
You also need to do the LNAT, have you done that?
Original post by Ray04
You also need to do the LNAT, have you done that?

If OP has an offer from Bristol, I would assume so.

(OP, it would be helpful to know your LNAT score as well.)
Reply 8
If OP has an offer from Bristol, I would assume so.

(OP, it would be helpful to know your LNAT score as well.)

I got 24.
Just got replies from all universities, all rejections haha. Does the UK by protocol generally not accept appeals? Or was the 'your predicted grades didn't make it' reason just an excuse? Aka what they didn't like was actually my personal statement or whatever.

Could it also be because I only have 10 units? It's a perfect UAS but I understand they probably have tons of 11/12 unit applicants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi! This will be catered mostly to students of Bristol! Especially Singaporeans. I've received an offer from Bristol, just wanted to ask some questions.

I was actually pretty happy with Bristol until I heard about how they were not very recognized in my country, which I plan to practice in, Singapore. And also the fact that there were many Singaporeans and so cultural exposure was nothing much, difficult to travel around, little internship opportunities, 6 modules.

I'm coming from a position where despite obtaining good grades at the A levels, I am generally a poor student. I'm not one of those 'brilliantly smart' students and my As were a pleasant surprise. One of my main priorities is career opportunities, in which case my local university, NUS, would seem to have the upper hand. Yet, I'm also looking at somewhere without intense competition/90% of cohort being brilliantly bright such that I lose out and become bottom 10%. Doing great at a small school VS doing poorly at a great school and all that, and NUS is one such 'great school' haha.

So I was happy with Bristol thinking the cohort might not be so over-achieving/pressurising/stressul, yet I realised that they have 6 modules compared to other schools, and little flexibility in terms of modules. Would that mean the school life is tougher in Bristol?

In addition, some schools rely on a 100% year-end examination. This is a great concern obviously haha. Any advice on whether it is truly so all or nothing, or whether there are consistent examinations throughout the school year that advise you on your standing and all that so that your end-year grade is actually pretty predictable etc would be great!

One more concern is the guidance available from teachers. I am the kind of student that requires a lot of guidance/instructions and am pretty poor at just magically producing whatever the teacher happened to have in mind. I was wondering how Bristol copes with this?

In summary, would love advice/opinions on the following points!:
1. Intelligence of the whole cohort (lol)
2. Academic rigour in Bristol/module info
3. 100% year end exam vs a few
4. Guidance from teachers
5. Internship opportunities for intl students (likely in London, have heard that Bristol is too far away etc) (London firms dislike intl students, whether schools will arrange/hv progs etc)
6. School culture!*

Less impt things:
1. Horses?? Dogs?? Animal-related interest groups??
2. Anything else interesting!

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you :smile: Btw we do not have A* here, A is the top.

*I think this ties in with the competitiveness etc. I hated my past schools' school culture (top schools) and am really looking forward to a more relaxed, united actual school spirit and culture in university haha.

Here's my 2p (non-Singaporean):

1: It will vary, as always. Bristol has a gigantic class (400+ people) and it's difficult to define the 'intelligence' of the cohort, compared to LSE/UCL which have about 150-170 students. In my year, around 70-100 of those got a 2.1 in the first year.
2/3: The academic rigour will be about the same in all these universities. The difference with Bristol is that, in the first year, there are 4 modules with 100% exams, and 1 module with 100% coursework (2x2000w essays) [plus an introductory unit. In the 2nd and 3rd years, the module increase to 6]. The issue is that they love authorities in the essays, and creating a truly good essay will make it difficult to revise properly during the formative and, most importantly, summative examinations.
4: This is good. They do try their best and always invite you to visit them during office hours (or send emails). That said, I do get the feeling that the massive size of the class has affected communication. Also, you get no guidance for the coursework essays (intentionally), and many people perform very poorly because they cannot guide themselves. For exams, to get a first/high 2.1 you need to have clearly read beyond the already tough reading lists, and that's something that falls on you entirely (again, not any different to most other unis I'd presume).
5: There are hundreds of events from firms here, and I think Bristol runs an international scholarship scheme for top performers. I don't know much on this one however, as I'm not 'international' myself.
6: Not sure what you mean - but it's very open and accepting, and the school creates lots of events to get you to meet others. There are so many Singaporeans here anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

1: Not sure per se, but there are many related societies.

As for competitiveness, it can be insane sometimes, and glaringly so. Only 1-2 students get a 1st in their first year, so it will affect people's competitive nature. That said, it's not too much and certainly not any different to other unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
I got 24.
Just got replies from all universities, all rejections haha. Does the UK by protocol generally not accept appeals? Or was the 'your predicted grades didn't make it' reason just an excuse? Aka what they didn't like was actually my personal statement or whatever.

Could it also be because I only have 10 units? It's a perfect UAS but I understand they probably have tons of 11/12 unit applicants.

OP I'm confused - so you don't have an offer? Or the other four were rejections?

I was going to write a lengthy post but thought I'd clear that up first.

R
Reply 11
Original post by rastor1
OP I'm confused - so you don't have an offer? Or the other four were rejections?

I was going to write a lengthy post but thought I'd clear that up first.

R

Hi yep, only one offer to Bristol, wish I could edit the title haha.
"Does the UK by protocol generally not accept appeals? Or was the 'your predicted grades didn't make it' reason just an excuse? Aka what they didn't like was actually my personal statement or whatever.

Could it also be because I only have 10 units? It's a perfect UAS but I understand they probably have tons of 11/12 unit applicants."
Reply 12
Original post by _Fergo
Here's my 2p (non-Singaporean):

1: It will vary, as always. Bristol has a gigantic class (400+ people) and it's difficult to define the 'intelligence' of the cohort, compared to LSE/UCL which have about 150-170 students. In my year, around 70-100 of those got a 2.1 in the first year.
2/3: The academic rigour will be about the same in all these universities. The difference with Bristol is that, in the first year, there are 4 modules with 100% exams, and 1 module with 100% coursework (2x2000w essays) [plus an introductory unit. In the 2nd and 3rd years, the module increase to 6]. The issue is that they love authorities in the essays, and creating a truly good essay will make it difficult to revise properly during the formative and, most importantly, summative examinations.
4: This is good. They do try their best and always invite you to visit them during office hours (or send emails). That said, I do get the feeling that the massive size of the class has affected communication. Also, you get no guidance for the coursework essays (intentionally), and many people perform very poorly because they cannot guide themselves. For exams, to get a first/high 2.1 you need to have clearly read beyond the already tough reading lists, and that's something that falls on you entirely (again, not any different to most other unis I'd presume).
5: There are hundreds of events from firms here, and I think Bristol runs an international scholarship scheme for top performers. I don't know much on this one however, as I'm not 'international' myself.
6: Not sure what you mean - but it's very open and accepting, and the school creates lots of events to get you to meet others. There are so many Singaporeans here anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

1: Not sure per se, but there are many related societies.

As for competitiveness, it can be insane sometimes, and glaringly so. Only 1-2 students get a 1st in their first year, so it will affect people's competitive nature. That said, it's not too much and certainly not any different to other unis.

Thanks so much for your reply!! It is very helpful :smile: Could you clarify on "The issue is that they love authorities in the essays, and creating a truly good essay will make it difficult to revise properly during the formative and, most importantly, summative examinations." please?

"Also, you get no guidance for the coursework essays (intentionally), and many people perform very poorly because they cannot guide themselves. For exams, to get a first/high 2.1 you need to have clearly read beyond the already tough reading lists, and that's something that falls on you entirely (again, not any different to most other unis I'd presume)."
What happens to these people? How do they do better or do they just not??
It's 3:30am and I'm in the UCL library....
Reply 14
Original post by Moonstruck16
It's 3:30am and I'm in the UCL library....

Best of luck ahaha
Hi yep, only one offer to Bristol, wish I could edit the title haha.
"Does the UK by protocol generally not accept appeals? Or was the 'your predicted grades didn't make it' reason just an excuse? Aka what they didn't like was actually my personal statement or whatever.

Could it also be because I only have 10 units? It's a perfect UAS but I understand they probably have tons of 11/12 unit applicants."

I got 24.

Yes, no appeals. It's not usually an excuse, they tend to explicitly say so if it was the PS.

I'm unfortunately not that sure about the 10AU thing as I didn't go through the Singaporean exam system myself. But for what it's worth, students who do 3 A2 subjects here in the UK are viewed virtually the same as those who do 4.5 so I wouldn't have thought that it posed an issue.
Reply 16
Yes, no appeals. It's not usually an excuse, they tend to explicitly say so if it was the PS.

I'm unfortunately not that sure about the 10AU thing as I didn't go through the Singaporean exam system myself. But for what it's worth, students who do 3 A2 subjects here in the UK are viewed virtually the same as those who do 4.5 so I wouldn't have thought that it posed an issue.

Thank you! It is an odd comfort to know that haha. I did feel very demoralized but I guess maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
Thank you! It is an odd comfort to know that haha. I did feel very demoralized but I guess maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

It is really unfortunate. Would you be taking a gap year and reapplying?
Reply 18
Thanks so much for your reply!! It is very helpful :smile: Could you clarify on "The issue is that they love authorities in the essays, and creating a truly good essay will make it difficult to revise properly during the formative and, most importantly, summative examinations." please?

"Also, you get no guidance for the coursework essays (intentionally), and many people perform very poorly because they cannot guide themselves. For exams, to get a first/high 2.1 you need to have clearly read beyond the already tough reading lists, and that's something that falls on you entirely (again, not any different to most other unis I'd presume)."
What happens to these people? How do they do better or do they just not??

Essentially, to get a very good mark in the essays (68+), it is necessary to research the topic absolutely thoroughly. After that, it is necessary to write the essay itself, carefully planning it out and making sure nothing goes wrong with references/bibliography. This is two times in the year per module assessed by coursework. Because the essays go beyond the material taught (sometimes very unrelated), it requires a lot of effort to get to grips with the title, since you cannot really rely on what is being taught to you.
Hence, since both essays are right before the formative/summative assessments, you'll find yourself not being able to properly prepare as you should (especially for the formatives, which do not count).

When I say there's no guidance, I mean when the title is issued. You do get thorough feedback on the formative essay and the first summative one. In that way, they help out with the structure/content generally, but for each specific question it's entirely up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending