The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xx_holly_xx
I'm just going to join a big bank. Pharmacy seems messed up. How the hell can you do 1200 items in 16 hours, that would kill everyone. You are working in a factory!

So, therefore you got into banking with a degree in pharmacy? Therefore, there are prospects othe than dispensing medications with a degree in pharmacy? My son really likes all the units for Pharmacy & speaks 3 languages. Surely a degree in Pharmacy with 3 languages should open doors? Thanks in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antonia Jane
So, therefore you got into banking with a degree in pharmacy? Therefore, there are prospects othe than dispensing medications with a degree in pharmacy? My son really likes all the units for Pharmacy & speaks 3 languages. Surely a degree in Pharmacy with 3 languages should open doors? Thanks in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would STRONGLY recommend that your son does not commence a pharmacy degree. The degree is incredibly arduous and about 1/3rd of it will cover chemistry and formulation sciences, 1/3rd pharmacology and biomedical sciences, 1/3rd healthcare related policies (including pharmacy law, dispensing, clinical information about use of drugs).

Yes it is an interesting degree, but the hours are intense, the workload incredibly demanding and why put your son through this if he does not want to become a pharmacist. It is much better to do a biochemistry degree (which does not have the intensity, course hours and demanding nature as pharmacy) that will ultimately open up MANY more doors. The world is your oyster as a biochem graudate and statistically they are much more likely to enter the finance industry than pharmacy graduates. The other problem with pharmacy is that certain modules on the degree programme have higher pass marks due to the regulators professional requirements, which add a lot more stress onto an individual. There is absolutely no need for your son to go through this if he does not want to be a pharmacist.

With a biochem degree you can enter graduate schemes, do a masters/PhD - it is a lot more flexible than pharmacy.

I CANNOT REITERATE ENOUGH, HOW STRONGLY I DO NOT RECOMMEND A PHARMACY DEGREE IN THIS SITUATION.

There are much better options out there.
Original post by elsa101
I would STRONGLY recommend that your son does not commence a pharmacy degree. The degree is incredibly arduous and about 1/3rd of it will cover chemistry and formulation sciences, 1/3rd pharmacology and biomedical sciences, 1/3rd healthcare related policies (including pharmacy law, dispensing, clinical information about use of drugs).

Yes it is an interesting degree, but the hours are intense, the workload incredibly demanding and why put your son through this if he does not want to become a pharmacist. It is much better to do a biochemistry degree (which does not have the intensity, course hours and demanding nature as pharmacy) that will ultimately open up MANY more doors. The world is your oyster as a biochem graudate and statistically they are much more likely to enter the finance industry than pharmacy graduates. The other problem with pharmacy is that certain modules on the degree programme have higher pass marks due to the regulators professional requirements, which add a lot more stress onto an individual. There is absolutely no need for your son to go through this if he does not want to be a pharmacist.

With a biochem degree you can enter graduate schemes, do a masters/PhD - it is a lot more flexible than pharmacy.

I CANNOT REITERATE ENOUGH, HOW STRONGLY I DO NOT RECOMMEND A PHARMACY DEGREE IN THIS SITUATION.

There are much better options out there.

AGREED! Do Biochem. Loads of stress on the degree, and then after that, working for chain chemists with non-pharmacist managers who only care about TARGETS for everything. And CRAP pay as well compared to yrs ago. Do biochem !
(edited 7 years ago)
Is Newcastle university opening a school of pharmacy this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by velvetsky
Is Newcastle university opening a school of pharmacy this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and no - it's not a new one, Durham's pharmacy school is moving over to Newcastle (makes sense as Newcastle already has a well-established medical school).
Original post by thegodofgod
Yes and no - it's not a new one, Durham's pharmacy school is moving over to Newcastle (makes sense as Newcastle already has a well-established medical school).

So a pharmacy school in Sunderland and Newcastle now. Tbh the durham prospective students might be cheering coz the old course was based in Stockton which meant they had Middlesbrough as the nearest big city ( not the best place to live) and now they will be based in Newcastle which in comparison is a top city.
I've noticed that most of the posts on here seem to be about community. Do any hospital pharmacists have anything to say about hospital?

I'm a third year pharmacy student and am in the process of applying for my pre-reg. I've had a lot of experience in community pharmacy and I'll be honest, it has sort of put me off community. My placements weren't bad or anything, but I was definitely glad that I was only there for a few weeks at a time. I also worked in one pharmacy where the pharmacist was clearly overworked, trying to deal with all the services and targets. I can imagine this becoming the future of every community pharmacy when they start to shut pharmacies down. I was just wondering what people thought of the future of hospital pharmacy? I did a placement in hospital and absolutely loved it. I saw a lot of the queries and situations that the pharmacists had to deal with it and it is clear that they have a lot of involvement in clinical care. Obviously, I only saw one hospital so I can't speak for them all. At the moment I am swaying towards hospital pharmacy for my pre-reg, but I also currently have a community pre-reg offer which I am considering rejecting in order to keep my options open.
Original post by Papillon95
I've noticed that most of the posts on here seem to be about community. Do any hospital pharmacists have anything to say about hospital?

I'm a third year pharmacy student and am in the process of applying for my pre-reg. I've had a lot of experience in community pharmacy and I'll be honest, it has sort of put me off community. My placements weren't bad or anything, but I was definitely glad that I was only there for a few weeks at a time. I also worked in one pharmacy where the pharmacist was clearly overworked, trying to deal with all the services and targets. I can imagine this becoming the future of every community pharmacy when they start to shut pharmacies down. I was just wondering what people thought of the future of hospital pharmacy? I did a placement in hospital and absolutely loved it. I saw a lot of the queries and situations that the pharmacists had to deal with it and it is clear that they have a lot of involvement in clinical care. Obviously, I only saw one hospital so I can't speak for them all. At the moment I am swaying towards hospital pharmacy for my pre-reg, but I also currently have a community pre-reg offer which I am considering rejecting in order to keep my options open.

I haven't worked in hospital pharmacy myself but I know people that have worked there. Yes the role is definitely more clinical so it is more interesting. However you get paid much less than what you would earn in the community. Something to bear in mind.
Original post by Antonia Jane
My son is bilingual Spanish/English and his French is very good and his speaks Valenciano. He is only 17. We live in Spain and it is very difficult to get work experience. I believe he can vlunteer for a summer to work for WHO? Next summer he is in France for two months. He might do Erasmus in France too. Or maybe Italy to give him another language. He's looking to volunteer in the summer of 2018. He would be happy to do a masters in public health. Hiss fall back choice is a degree in environmental studies. My gut feeling is Pharmacy would be better as it has more transferable skills. Thanks for your reply and any further information would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

youve been spamming all pages with the same information again and again. stop it now.
Bumped!!
For everyone in the 6th form thinking of putting this course on their UCAS form in a few months.

If you value your earning potential, and your sanity as an employee, just DON'T DO PHARMACY. The degree is actually ok and interesting, but it's what comes after it that will make you die inside a little everyday of your working life ! Sorry to sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Hopefully, some other pharmacists will add to this, who work in community multiples, and that will be two thirds of pharmacy graduates, BTW. IF, you can even get a pre-reg and then a job, due to the stupid number of schools and graduates now.
BUMP!

For eveyone thinking of choosing pharmacy in clearing because they missed their medicine grades or couldn't get in :
READ ALL OF THIS THREAD FIRST !!!
Original post by crazy.chemist
Bumped!!
For everyone in the 6th form thinking of putting this course on their UCAS form in a few months.

If you value your earning potential, and your sanity as an employee, just DON'T DO PHARMACY. The degree is actually ok and interesting, but it's what comes after it that will make you die inside a little everyday of your working life ! Sorry to sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Hopefully, some other pharmacists will add to this, who work in community multiples, and that will be two thirds of pharmacy graduates, BTW. IF, you can even get a pre-reg and then a job, due to the stupid number of schools and graduates now.

I'm interested in applying for pharmacology (2018 entry) and whilst I know this thread is in regards to pharmacy I just wanted to ask your thoughts on a pharmacology degree? I'm personally very interested by the course, and afterwards would like to go into the cosmetic industry/pharmaceuticals.
Original post by AtomicAJ
I'm interested in applying for pharmacology (2018 entry) and whilst I know this thread is in regards to pharmacy I just wanted to ask your thoughts on a pharmacology degree? I'm personally very interested by the course, and afterwards would like to go into the cosmetic industry/pharmaceuticals.

Yes, in my personal opinion, a pharmacology degree would open more doors than a pharmacy degree, although you would cover p'col in a pharmacy degree, but not in the depth, that you would in a pure degree in it. Then i would recommend a PhD in p'col. to enter industry.

A much better career than sticking labels on boxes in a shop all day listening to the public moan. and whatever the schools of pharmacy try to dress it up as, this is basically what you would do, along with some, so-called 'services', like pretend medicine reviews that GPs aren't the slightest bit interested in as they do their own.

Yes, there is always hospital and GP practice work, but by the time you qualify, people will be fighting to the death for those jobs due to the massive numbers of pharmacy students.
If Russell Group unis like Cardiff and Nottingham are in Clearing for a subject, that should set alarm bells ringing!!! Do pharmacology. good luck !
For anyone still unsure

Read this thread!
Original post by crazy.chemist
Bumped!!

Don't do it unless you already have citizenship in countries like USA or Canada lol
If you aren't sure, read all of this thread
Don't do it 6th formers!
Read all this thread before you fill out that UCAS form !
I was well aware about the job prospect situation before I applied to join my pharmacy school. Having progressed through the ranks to where I'm at (4th year) I felt i've enjoyed the course. However after not getting the A levels to directly join into pharmacy 1st year (had to transfer from pharmaceutical sciences to 2nd year pharmacy), I was told by people to not view it as a single-profession degree, but as a degree full of skills and qualities that I've demonstrated. And it's a masters too. I myself am not hoping to be a long-term pharmacist. I would want to qualify, then practice as a pharmacist for possibly 4/5 years and then do a degree in something else, or maybe do something indirectly related to pharmacy e.g open a pharmacy. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat as me. And for this reason I do not understand why people advocate pharmacy as a profession too much e.g BPSA,RPS etc.. Dispensing robots are available now and have been for a long time - maybe someone will invent a more technically advanced robot to replace dispensers in a pharmacy, maybe online pharmacies will become the next big thing ? No one knows what's going to happen, but I don't see pharmacy as a long-term profession. I mean if you're keen about helping patients I have no objection to that and you deserve to do well in pharmacy, but if you're someone like me, that chose to do pharmacy because it's a conglomerate of all the subjects that interest you and the fact that you like helping people, then i think it's not a good choice in to be a pharmacist in the long-term.
Sorry if i put anyone off pharmacy btw!
word of advice for those thinking about applying for GP or CCG pharmacist roles: experience counts more when they decide upon candidates. How do I know? I had 2 interviews for each of them and essentially whilst I was perfect in the interview and on paper (1 drawback i had with 1 was apparently I drank too much water) they both decided to tell me the went for candidates with 4-5 years experience as a registered pharmacist vs me who has 2 years experience..(the case with ccg is logical as apparently you have to work by yourself in 60 gp surgeries in the ccg remit but the gp surgery is a pistake imo).

So yh for those who graduate and do their pre-reg make sure you do clinical courses asap and do independent prescribing once you reach 2 years experience (although that being said, to get a postgrad clinical masters +independent prescribing takes 3 years so it could be worth doing another degree in that time...even though it is distance learning).
Msg today from one chain i work for, saying locum rate CUT from £20/hr to £19/hr and MUST do 2 MURs or will be cut again to £18/hr for that day if none done!!!
Also consider that a few yrs ago, this small chain was paying me £23/hr !!!
WAGES ARE GOING DOWN!

DON'T DO PHARMACY KIDS!

certainly if you want to be wealthy or even just have a reasonable work/life balance as the pressure and stress to earn a not that good 30-40k a yr for 5 yrs training is unrelenting

Latest

Trending

Trending