The Student Room Group

Can I transfer to a different uni for pharmacy ?

I got into the university of Wolverhampton for mPharm through clearing as my results were pretty bad CCD, the D was in chemistry. Is it possible to complete the first year at Wolverhampton and transfer to a Russel group university based on my performance? I don't mind doing the first year again at the different university. I really don't want to resit my A-levels as I am already 21 years old. Any advice please?
Reply 1
Original post by simzahhhhhh
I got into the university of Wolverhampton for mPharm through clearing as my results were pretty bad CCD, the D was in chemistry. Is it possible to complete the first year at Wolverhampton and transfer to a Russel group university based on my performance? I don't mind doing the first year again at the different university. I really don't want to resit my A-levels as I am already 21 years old. Any advice please?

Look up (or email and ask for) university transfer policies for Pharmacy at the universities that you’re interested in?

Unlikely, FY’s are not designed to be transferred and your AL grades are an impediment.

Nothing to lose by trying. Have a read of the Transfer FAQ.

NB. Don’t enrol on a course at a uni that you wouldn’t be happy to complete at.

Why do pharmacy if you got a D in chemistry? The whole 4 years you probably won’t be able to cope with the content? Just wondering but good luck with it! Hope you’re able to transfer to a Russel x
Reply 4
Hey

Im in a similar situation and really don’t want to resit a levels. I’ve emailed countless RG unis and a lot seem to ask for quite high grades BCC(notts) BBB(manny) CCC(aston) B in chem for brum .They almost always don’t allow year 2 transfers so yh you’d probably have to do year 1 again. However I’ve been reading into a thread from a couple years ago and there seems to be hope if you excel with a score of maybe 70%+ I’d say you should go on the pharmacy page of the unis you are interested in and email them to let them know your situation. Let your current uni know too and see if they can help you drop a ucas application in also.

The link to the thread that gave me the slightest bit of hope:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4898988#post83973534

Just give first year your all and hope it works out for u xx
Reply 5

May I ask why you want to transfer to a “Russell”?

Pharmacy is unusual in that the University you obtain your degree from has almost no bearing on your career prospects. Once on the GPhC register as a pharmacist nobody will ask or care where you graduated.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6
Few if any Unis permit MPharm transfers because of course structure being different at each Uni - you must have covered the whole 'course' for GPhC registration purposes and that gets difficult if you switch between Unis.

AND - it doesnt matter where you train as a Pharmacist because all courses are essentially 'the same' as they are all accredited by the GPhC, and train you to be 'a Pharmacist'. The NHS will never ask 'which Uni' - and neither will your future patients/customers. So get over all 'RG snottiness' - its mindless.
The whole point of clearing is for universities to make money, pharmacy is a prestigious course and obviously a D will not get you in because how are you failing chemistry to wanting to a course solely based on it? Your best option is apply for foundation year + MPharm this year. I have seen one certain university do this with a D in chemistry so I would say you should check it out - do the two odd years in preparation for your future as a pharmacist! good luck
https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/pharmacy-mpharm-with-preparatory-year.aspx#:~:text=With%20an%20extra%20year%20of,knowledge%20and%20skills%20you%20need
Original post by Alims05
Hi! I got into UoW through clearing this year with BCD (D in chemistry too) but they wouldn't let me do MPharm and instead put me into pharmacology :frown: I've been trying to move into MPharm but I was told they don't allow students with Ds in chem. I came across your post and now I feel like I've been treated unfairly by admissions staff

Note that even aside from the above very good advice about foundation years not being necessarily transferable etc, it's worth noting for something like pharmacy it doesn't matter whether you do your degree at Wolverhampton or UCL. It's still a qualifying pharmacy degree and your job prospects within the field of pharmacy will be exactly the same. Employers recruiting pharmacists don't care where you got the degree, they just care you have the accredited degree and if applicable have completed the further requirements to become a fully registered pharmacist so they meet regulatory requirements.
Reply 9
Original post by emaanq5
Hey

Im in a similar situation and really don’t want to resit a levels. I’ve emailed countless RG unis and a lot seem to ask for quite high grades BCC(notts) BBB(manny) CCC(aston) B in chem for brum .They almost always don’t allow year 2 transfers so yh you’d probably have to do year 1 again. However I’ve been reading into a thread from a couple years ago and there seems to be hope if you excel with a score of maybe 70%+ I’d say you should go on the pharmacy page of the unis you are interested in and email them to let them know your situation. Let your current uni know too and see if they can help you drop a ucas application in also.

The link to the thread that gave me the slightest bit of hope:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4898988#post83973534

Just give first year your all and hope it works out for u xx

Hiii!
I got BCC in my a levels and was wondering how recently you asked Nottingham? I’d love to apply there because I am not at all enjoying the university I am currently attending. Did they say BCC for foundation or the normal MPharm course? Please let me know, ironically this has given me a lot of hope since I didn’t think the universities accepted below BBB, especially Nottingham. If we could talk more about this I’d be grateful :smile:

I hope everything works out for you too!
Reply 10
Original post by hmm0004
Hiii!
I got BCC in my a levels and was wondering how recently you asked Nottingham? I’d love to apply there because I am not at all enjoying the university I am currently attending. Did they say BCC for foundation or the normal MPharm course? Please let me know, ironically this has given me a lot of hope since I didn’t think the universities accepted below BBB, especially Nottingham. If we could talk more about this I’d be grateful :smile:

heyy,

I only asked a month or two ago so you should be good! Here’s what they said exactly:

Please be advised in order to be eligible to transfer from a foundation course to the MPharm program at University of Nottingham, an applicant would need to have achieved minimum BCC in the first sitting of the level 3 (A-level) qualifications. Unfortunately, we would not be able to encourage an application for transfer based on level 3 qualifications lower than this.

Glad this gives you hope and i think you can definitely make it, anymore questions u can drop me a dm!

Good luckk x
Reply 11
Original post by emaanq5
Original post by hmm0004
Hiii!

heyy,

I only asked a month or two ago so you should be good! Here’s what they said exactly:

Please be advised in order to be eligible to transfer from a foundation course to the MPharm program at University of Nottingham, an applicant would need to have achieved minimum BCC in the first sitting of the level 3 (A-level) qualifications. Unfortunately, we would not be able to encourage an application for transfer based on level 3 qualifications lower than this.

Glad this gives you hope and i think you can definitely make it, anymore questions u can drop me a dm!

Good luckk x

That’s greatt!! Is it only available for foundation transfers though?
Reply 12
Original post by hmm0004
That’s greatt!! Is it only available for foundation transfers though?

i was only enquiring about foundation transfers so im not sure, you can go on their website where they have a little enquiry form specific to your situation and im sure you can expect a response soon! 9 times out of 10 transfers into year 2 pharmacy are not allowerd so you’d have to start from year 1, but make sure u ask, i cant seem to find the form but try these emails:

General non-student enquiries: [email protected]

Admissions enquiries: [email protected]

The one i got a response from: (may not be monitored) [email protected]

good luck!
Reply 13
I emailed them and they said they still want AAB. Was yours a contextual offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending