The Student Room Group

OCR AL Psychology (New): Research methods H167/1 & H567/1 - 15 May & 07 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueriver
Wow thats amazing, congrats! btw which paper was this for?

Thank you! I'd probably say that for a firm 15 marks I would make sure to try and go into a little more detail though because i think my teacher may have been a little bit lenient in some ways. It's probably worth a 13-14.

I'm really not sure I think they made the questions up but there was a mark scheme so I'm not totally sure. It might be a paper we don't have access to.
Reply 41
heiii does anyone know how to get old past papers for psychology 2016?
Reply 42
what do you mean by we dont have a choice? could you please explain
You pick 2 areas e.g forensic and Health then from there you have to revise all of the topics and the exam board picks one e.g forensic what makes a criminal and from then they give you 3 questions. This year we don't have the option for choice unfortuanatly... It's determined no free will :wink:
Reply 43
i was wondering to make a whatsapp group so we can openly disscuss any and all material, and do fire round questions etc to help us revise any one interested can share their number and ill add ya
Original post by aruob
what do you mean by we dont have a choice? could you please explain

As in whatever areas you have studied the examiners will give you one topic for example say you study criminal, the examiners may only test you on the cognitive side of criminal.
Reply 45
As in whatever areas you have studied the examiners will give you one topic for example say you study criminal, the examiners may only test you on the cognitive side of criminal.

oh ok thanx, i thought you meant in the debates part we werent supposed to do free will, only determinism.
Reply 46
Anyone have notes for section b for any essay questions on debates etc. so that I can compile them all together
Reply 47
Original post by PsychofKam
This is an example of a 12 marker version of the other question:

Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the social are in psychology (12 marks)

One strength of the social area is that it helps us to understand the psychology behind various historical events that cannot be recreated. Milgram's study on obedience showed that all participants shocked the "learner" up to 285 volts, suggesting situational psychology, in the way that we all obey authoritative figures. This can be used to explain the holocaust and Nazi Germany, helping us to explain why Nazis obeyed; due to obeying the authority of Hitler. This is helpful because it helps us to understand this significant event and help prevent it in the future. Furthermore, the importance of social processes in group activity helps to explain historic events like the London riots, and therefore can be useful in predicting it. Therefore, this is a strength as it becomes useful in not only understanding and explaining historical events, but in predicting behaviour for the future, and prevent certain behaviour.

Another strength of the social area is that it uses a wide range of creative methods that are scientific, and is not restricted to one method, usually collecting both quantitative and qualitative data. This then means that it is scientific and is not limited in its measurement. For example, Milgram's study was a controlled observation, which measures how participants responded, through observation (sweating, trembling) and quantitative data showed that all participants went up to 285 volts, which again reinforcces the fact that we obey. Furthermore, Piliavin's study was a field experiment that also showed that 90% of those helpers were males, and comments were made about the "drunk" victim; once more this has enabled us to scientifically measure cause and effect, but also provides an insight and explanation for it using both qualitative and quantitative data.

A weakness of the social area is that it is primarily situational. This explains behaviour as a cause of the situation someone experiences, suggesting we all behave the same way in the same situation. For example, Milgram's study showed that all participants went up to 285 volts, suggesting we all obey authoritative figures. However, this doesn't take into consideration individual differences within the situation, which takes a pessimistic stance in suggesting we all behave the same way. In Milgram's case, they didn't draw attention to the fact that some were more stressed than others, and that some withdrew before it had even started; furthermore, others may have responded differently but felt similar emotions (portraying stress differently: crying/ sweating/ biting lip). Therefore this is a weakness of the social area because it disregards individuality amongst situations which can actually differentiate behaviour between one another, and is of great importance in understanding how people not only respond the same in the same situation, but how they respond differently in the same situation also.

Another weakness of the social area is that it often breaks ethical guidelines in order to remain realistic and often high in ecological validity; the social area requires understanding of how humans are influenced by those around them, which often requires high ecological validity to validly measure this. This then usually requires deception or cause psychological harm. For example, Piliavin's field experiment was done covertly, the participants on the subway did not know they were participating in the experiment into helping behaviour; although this did allow us to accurately measure natural behaviour, it broke ethical guidelines as people may not have wanted to participate had they had known, or they may have gone home feeling stressed and responsible if they had not helped. Milgram is another example where participants may have gone feeling distressed and upset thinking they had shocked someone because of deception. Therefore, this is a weakness of the social area as it often uses deception or can create psychological harm in order to achieve high ecological validity.

Good answer!
Hi all, I've just come across a newer and updated version of a website I had mentioned for OCR Psychology and it's amazing!

It has example essays and revision material etc. Check it out: https://psychologywithmisssmith.wordpress.com/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
i treid this blog as of late, found it helpful :biggrin:
http://ocrpsychologyblog.co.uk/?page_id=95
how are you guys going to remember all the studies?
Reply 51
I'm making an excel sheet and filling it from my knowledge- as much as Ican remember, then revisiting the studies that I cant remember fully.
Anyone else got any good methods of revision?
how are you guys going to remember all the studies?

Original post by aruob
I'm making an excel sheet and filling it from my knowledge- as much as Ican remember, then revisiting the studies that I cant remember fully.
Anyone else got any good methods of revision?

I've finished all my notes for Alevel Psych (thank goodness) and so I am just preparing for an Applied Psych mock. But I usually just sit down and read my notes on the core studies out loud and then try and recall each section I read (e.g. If I read over the description of the sample I spend 2 mins repeating it out loud until it lodges in then move on). It's honestly the best way for me and it seriously works! Don't try and skip any piece of info because it's too long because you might regret it.

Try and keep writing mini-paragraphs about what you've just learn aswell because if you're applying what you remember it sticks in more.

In terms of results (statistics etc) I come up with acronyms or do the read-cover-write-check method until it sticks. This website has some really good memory strategies for OCR psych: https://psychologywithmisssmith.wordpress.com/memory-strategies/
Reply 53
Is someone able to get access to the practice papers and share them on here? My teacher claims he can't get access to it :| I think it would be really helpful to see the questions and mark scheme
Reply 54
Original post by Rtdsv
Is someone able to get access to the practice papers and share them on here? My teacher claims he can't get access to it :| I think it would be really helpful to see the questions and mark scheme

My teacher emailed me these exam papers, hope they help. :smile:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/appliedoptions%20(1).pdf (Applied paper)
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/research%20method%20(1).pdf (research methods)
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/Core%20Studies%20(1).pdf (core studies)
Reply 55
Original post by PsychofKam
My teacher emailed me these exam papers, hope they help. :smile:

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/appliedoptions%20(1).pdf (Applied paper)
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/research%20method%20(1).pdf (research methods)
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/Core%20Studies%20(1).pdf (core studies)

Em hi,
I can't seem to open the links can anyone else access them?
Secondly
Do we have to do advance biophysiology ??
Does anyone know how to answer question C questions for the Applied Psychology paper? The ones that give you a scenario and ask you how a psychologist could investigate a problem. OCR have given virtually no guidance for this question at all and the answers that they have put on their website are very vague. Any help?

Original post by aruob
Em hi,
I can't seem to open the links can anyone else access them?
Secondly
Do we have to do advance biophysiology ??

Not sure what that is? Is it in the mental health section of Applied Psych paper?
Reply 57
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Does anyone know how to answer question C questions for the Applied Psychology paper? The ones that give you a scenario and ask you how a psychologist could investigate a problem. OCR have given virtually no guidance for this question at all and the answers that they have put on their website are very vague. Any help?

Not sure what that is? Is it in the mental health section of Applied Psych paper?

Yeah I completely agree with you. What I would say though, is that you should always refer to the key research, anything learnt from it or the background study and use that in the scenario.
Original post by LenniesRabbit

This is from the Criminal/Sport/Environment/Child Psychology questions of the Applied Psychology paper.
If you do Criminal Psychology it should look like this:
C* : A series of high profile serious violent crimes have been committed in a small village over the last year. Experts are working on the case but it remains unsolved. There are a number of potential suspects including one who has a previous conviction for assault.

Discuss how motivating factors might impact the collection and processing of forensic evidence in this case. [10]

The problem is, they're not always worded like that. In most cases they want you to come up with a way that Psychologists can test a hypothesis related to the topic.

Original post by Rtdsv
Yeah I completely agree with you. What I would say though, is that you should always refer to the key research, anything learnt from it or the background study and use that in the scenario.

Yeah I think that's the best way to get through it. It's just that OCR haven't made it clear as to whether you are to make up your own unique procedure or use the procedure of one/some of the key studies+background studies purely. I'll do a practice question and post it here for some feedback though
Could anyone take a look at this criminal psych answer? I have no idea whether or not my answer is valid but I cannot come up with any other points for such a specific question

*Daryl is a detective who believes he could improve the success of interviews with suspects. He suggested asking witnesses to sleep at the police station and playing them sounds known to have been audible at the time of the incident, such as dogs barking, traffic noise or music. The witness would then be woken up and re-interviewed. Discuss how a psychologist could investigate whether Daryl’s new interview technique could improve the collection of evidence [10]

The psychologists could test whether Daryl’s interview technique could improve collection of evidence through a controlled experiment. Witnesses of a crime would be split into 2 groups and one would sleep at the police station with sounds of the crime scene playing throughout the night, whilst the other would not. The two groups would then be interviewed and asked to use in-depth reporting to describe the events of the crime. Memon and Highman’s research had shown that this method of Cognitive Reinstatement; where the interviewee would have been surrounded by sounds of the same environment that the crime was committed in; would lead to more information being gathered than any other method of interview technique. If the group who had gone through the technique at the police station had presented more information to the interviewer than the group who had not been through the process, then it would be evident that Daryl’s new technique could improve collection of evidence.

However, if the experiment is being carried on in a police station the psychologist should be aware that possible extraneous variables could be the cause for more or less information being recalled e.g. the participants may feel more forced or obliged to remember things in order to make the interviewee (most likely a detective) happy.

The psychologist could also consider using other methods of collecting evidence and compare it to the Cognitive Reinstatement method. Witnesses of a crime could be split into 4 groups and either take part in Cognitive Reinstatement technique (where they would sleep in the station and hear sounds audible at the time of the incident), Narrative Re-ordering techniques, reporting from a different perspective or in-depth reporting. The psychologists could then collect qualitative data and compare the amount of words spoken in each interview technique. If the Cognitive Reinstatement technique produces the most evidence, then Daryl’s technique can be supported. This allows for a valid comparison between methods however it ignores how different interviewer’s training and character may influence how much information is gathered in each situation especially if the participants feel rushed at any point.

The psychologist could try Daryl’s method as a form of hypnosis before interviewing. The sounds would be heard by one hypnotised group and one normal group whilst sleeping which would allow the witnesses to cognise what they are hearing. Those under hypnosis would be more likely to internalise the sounds and remember the events more easily during interviewing. However Sanders and Simmons study showed how those hypnotised in their study were in more of a suggestible state, and ended up recalling less information less accurately and were more likely to be misled which might mean that Daryl’s technique would lead to less valid information being collected as a whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending