The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TrueDAN
Persevered and have polished off weaknesses - nearly done the solomons and have actually found them worthwile - there was a question where you bascially had to calculate the escape velocity on the moon which I thought was quite interesting. With c.o.m derivations from first principles, say if it is a cone for example, the markscheme formulated the equation of the line and rotated about the x axis. I did it by forming a line, with y-intercept h and rearranged y=mx+ h to get an expression for x i.e. x = (y-h)/m. I then used the formula for rotating about the y-axis and got the same answer - presumably both methods are valid, even though my way wasnt stated in the markscheme? That was solomon B for reference

Do you think the solomon papers are much harder than the normal ones? I completely forgot about solomons lol.
Original post by solC
Do you think the solomon papers are much harder than the normal ones? I completely forgot about solomons lol.

Id say they are pretty much exactly the same, just with a few more abstract questions and think they are surprisingly good - Id recommend them tbh
Reply 62
Original post by TrueDAN
Id say they are pretty much exactly the same, just with a few more abstract questions and think they are surprisingly good - Id recommend them tbh

Nice, I might try a couple in that case.
Someone please help on this ez kinematics question:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Solutionbank-Heinemann/M3%20Chapter%201.pdf

ExA q11 (Page 11)

I don't understand the very last line - do we simply just take the modulus?

Is this because distance is the magnitude of the displacement?

I will type out the question here:

A particle P is moving along a straight line. When t=0, P is passing through a point A. At time t seconds after passing through A the velocity, v of P is given by v= e^(2t) - 11e^(t) + 15t.

Find:

The distance of P from A when t = ln(3)
Reply 64
Original post by WilliamGates
Someone please help on this ez kinematics question:

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Solutionbank-Heinemann/M3%20Chapter%201.pdf

ExA q11 (Page 11)

I don't understand the very last line - do we simply just take the modulus?

Is this because distance is the magnitude of the displacement?

I will type out the question here:

A particle P is moving along a straight line. When t=0, P is passing through a point A. At time t seconds after passing through A the velocity, v of P is given by v= e^(2t) - 11e^(t) + 15t.

Find:

The distance of P from A when t = ln(3)

Yes, distance is a scalar quantity so we ignore the sign.
Original post by solC
Yes, distance is a scalar quantity so we ignore the sign.

Thank you Jigsaw.
Reply 66
Thank you Jigsaw.

Who's that?
Original post by solC
Who's that?

some serial killer, I think it was your old dp idk maybe i make mistake.

Anyway how are you getting on with M3?
Reply 68
some serial killer, I think it was your old dp idk maybe i make mistake.

Anyway how are you getting on with M3?

Yeah it was mine but I got rid of it just now. Time for a change me thinks.

And it's alright I guess, I haven't actually done much M3 recently as I'm still finishing off some other stuff, but after I'm done with that I think I'll do some of the solomon papers as recommended by someone else.

How's it going for you?
Original post by solC
Yeah it was mine but I got rid of it just now. Time for a change me thinks.

And it's alright I guess, I haven't actually done much M3 recently as I'm still finishing off some other stuff, but after I'm done with that I think I'll do some of the solomon papers as recommended by someone else.

How's it going for you?

Haha.

Yh its going decent, I like the first four chapters, it is the last chapter which I don't like. It's the first exam and the only exam before break so need to do well :P

Can I ask what learning resources you have used. I have only used the Edexcel book - not much else on net I have uncovered so far.
From Example 8 of the book in Chapter 1 [Page 11]

You end up factorising: v^2 = 81 - (54/x^2) + (9/x^4)

The book says this is: v^2 = (9 - (3/x^2))^2

But I have v^2 = (3/x^2) -9))^2

Who is right..
From Example 8 of the book in Chapter 1 [Page 11]

You end up factorising: v^2 = 81 - (54/x^2) + (9/x^4)

The book says this is: v^2 = (9 - (3/x^2))^2

But I have v^2 = (3/x^2) -9))^2

Who is right..

They are the same.

Just like 5^2 and (-5)^2 are the same.
Original post by tiny hobbit
They are the same.

Just like 5^2 and (-5)^2 are the same.

Thank you - but the question says to express the final answer as v.

And so the square root of both results are different. They are a reflection of the graph. This is what has confused me.
Thank you - but the question says to express the final answer as v.

And so the square root of both results are different. They are a reflection of the graph. This is what has confused me.

Do you know a pair of values for v and x? If so, they will only work in one of your two options.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Do you know a pair of values for v and x? If so, they will only work in one of your two options.

Thank you, yes ofc it is. One of the solutions results in a negative square root. Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply 75
Haha.

Yh its going decent, I like the first four chapters, it is the last chapter which I don't like. It's the first exam and the only exam before break so need to do well :P

Can I ask what learning resources you have used. I have only used the Edexcel book - not much else on net I have uncovered so far.

I went through the textbook, then did a couple of past papers to see which topics I needed to work on, and then worked through some of the questions on Madasmaths on those topics.
I'm not sure if examsolutions has covered much M3 stuff but if he has then I would recommend watching some videos of his, they can be quite helpful.
Original post by solC
I went through the textbook, then did a couple of past papers to see which topics I needed to work on, and then worked through some of the questions on Madasmaths on those topics.
I'm not sure if examsolutions has covered much M3 stuff but if he has then I would recommend watching some videos of his, they can be quite helpful.

Ah yes madas, they were amazing for M1 :biggrin:
Reply 77
Ah yes madas, they were amazing for M1 :biggrin:

I used that website for pretty much all my modules last year:biggrin:

Currently using it for M5!
Hi there, for M3 do we need to know what G is? I've seen it in the books but not in exams.
Reply 79
Original post by Major-fury
Hi there, for M3 do we need to know what G is? I've seen it in the books but not in exams.

I'm not too sure actually. I guess learn it just in case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending