The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by solC
Where did you get this from?

For 0<=x<=4 the acceleration is acting in the direction of x increasing. From this it wouldn't make sense for the velocity to be zero when x is 4. Past here the particles is decelerating because the acceleration is acting in the direction of x decreasing. Therefore the particle is going to come to rest at some point past x=4.

I meant to type x=4, instead of a=4. Thanks for your help. I see it clearly now. I should probably draw a diagram in future.
Reply 101
Original post by WilliamGates
I meant to type x=4, instead of a=4. Thanks for your help. I see it clearly now. I should probably draw a diagram in future.

Oh right, I see.
Yeah trying to visualising the situation is always helpful with these sort of questions.
Original post by solC
Oh right, I see.
Yeah trying to visualising the situation is always helpful with these sort of questions.

Thanks again completely augmented Kinematics <3
Thanks again completely augmented Kinematics <3

In general does anyone know which modules we should have completed before M3:

I assume C3 C4 and M2.

But has anyone came across any questions applying FP2 concepts?
Reply 104
In general does anyone know which modules we should have completed before M3:

I assume C3 C4 and M2.

But has anyone came across any questions applying FP2 concepts?

No you won't need any FP2 for M3.
All C1-C4 and M1-M2 knowledge will be assumed.
Fluctuating around 65 marks a paper, not as refined as Id like to be atm - theres always sub-sections of a question or two that throw me off.
Hows everyone feeling? Less than one month to go now :O
Original post by solC
Unlucky, are you planning on retaking?

no i am in 3rd year uni now
Original post by solC

Nice, thanks.
hi guys, quick q
if two springs are attached to a particle on a horizontal table, if the spring is smaller than its natural length it will compress and the tension will act away from particle? is that right?
Going to try to learn the whole book today :wink:
Original post by TrueDAN
Fluctuating around 65 marks a paper, not as refined as Id like to be atm - theres always sub-sections of a question or two that throw me off.

indifferent. it is nice to have a module before break, but it would make more sense to do m2 first but w/e.

Are we guaranteed a question on chapter 1 btw.

Like fp2 it is quite predictable what will come up - but for m3 will we anticipate 6-7 questions inclusive of chapter 1.

Original post by TSRUser12345
Going to try to learn the whole book today :wink:

hf <3
indifferent. it is nice to have a module before break, but it would make more sense to do m2 first but w/e.

Are we guaranteed a question on chapter 1 btw.

Like fp2 it is quite predictable what will come up - but for m3 will we anticipate 6-7 questions inclusive of chapter 1.

hf <3

Im pretty sure that we will get atleast one question for chapter 1 - not sure if it is
100% guaranteed, but not done a paper where one has not came up yet so..
I presume the format is 1 question from each chapter and then 1 or 2 questions on whatever chapter(s) edexcel want - obviously that is quite ambiguous; I agree with you in that it is not as predictable as Fp2
2. A closed container C consists of a thin uniform hollow hemispherical bowl of radius a, together with a lid. The lid is a thin uniform circular disc, also of radius a. The centre O of the disc coincides with the centre of the hemispherical bowl. The bowl and its lid are made of the same material. (a) Show that the centre of mass of C is at a distance a/3 from O. Helppp is from q2 june 2005 btw
Original post by TrueDAN
Im pretty sure that we will get atleast one question for chapter 1 - not sure if it is
100% guaranteed, but not done a paper where one has not came up yet so..
I presume the format is 1 question from each chapter and then 1 or 2 questions on whatever chapter(s) edexcel want - obviously that is quite ambiguous; I agree with you in that it is not as predictable as Fp2

Thats quite accurate, and what I was thinking.

Thanks.
Original post by solC

Original post by TrueDAN

Can I ask you both, have you found any good online resources for Chapter 2.

Going over it again, and I am finding for questions like the worked examples I am making slight mistakes probably due to lack of complete understanding.

Ik exam solutions doesn't really do M3 :L

Going over it again, and I am finding for questions like the worked examples I am making slight mistakes probably due to lack of complete understanding.

The khan academy videos might help I have foudnd.

It's not an online resource but A2 AQA Physics textbook explains hookes law fairly well.
Original post by TSRUser12345
It's not an online resource but A2 AQA Physics textbook explains hookes law fairly well.

Thanks it is in my AS physics. I will try and seek that.
Reply 118

There are some notes on Physicsandmathstutor by a guy called Simon Baxter, I found them quite helpful for FP3 so they are probably quite helpful for M3 too.

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/M3/Worksheets-Notes/Edexcel%20M3%20Notes.pdf
Could someone explain question 8 of Ex 5A to me please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending