The Student Room Group

Training Contract 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by adz86
So, I'm in the running with a TC interview at Slaughter's and I'm definitely more excited than nervous! First TC interview so would appreciate any advice from the board :smile:.

Hi there, silly question, but with your cover letter and CV, how long were they both? Am quite unsure how much to write.

Thanks
Reply 101
Original post by hpjpsp
Hi there, silly question, but with your cover letter and CV, how long were they both? Am quite unsure how much to write.

Thanks

Covering letter and CV combined was 3 pages long, 2 for CV and 1 for the letter. Happy to have a look over your application before submission if you're unsure about any aspect.
Reply 102
Cheers for that, will let you know when I have done it. Many thanks
With the number of applications for training contracts in the City each year being quite high, some astronomically high I wondered the follow:

- How many people finish their applications?

- How many are generic?

- How many don't meet the minimum criteria for academics.

For instance Linklaters gets 4500 applications per annum and I can't imagine that all of those applications are either finished or meet the minimum criteria.

Just a thought, especially as a graduate who works full-time I have not had the time to make no more than 5 tailored applications.

1 of which I'm in the interview process for so fingers crossed.
Original post by adz86
So, I'm in the running with a TC interview at Slaughter's and I'm definitely more excited than nervous! First TC interview so would appreciate any advice from the board :smile:.

Congrats on the interview.

I hope you don't mind if I ask how you structured the covering letter. Was it the standard why law, why this firm, why you format?
Reply 105
Original post by sleekchic
Congrats on the interview.

I hope you don't mind if I ask how you structured the covering letter. Was it the standard why law, why this firm, why you format?

I interviewed at Slaughters - my cover letter was basically
- hey, I'm a student here studying this
- I'm interested in this
- thats why I'm applying
- here's my cv
- hope I get the chance to meet you

it was quite short and to the point. Don't put any unnecessary bs; they seem to like just a concise introduction about who you are, what you do, and where you want to be. mine was around 200 words if I should guess.
Reply 106
Original post by CGSW
- I'm interested in this
- thats why I'm applying
- here's my cv

it was quite short and to the point. Don't put any unnecessary bs; they seem to like just a concise introduction about who you are, what you do, and where you want to be. mine was around 200 words if I should guess.

Pretty much the above but I expanded on my strengths and experiences to demonstrate commercial acumen to avoid saying I had it without proof.

A short introduction which summarises your strengths and why you want to work at a magic circle firm worked too.
Original post by CGSW
- I'm interested in this
- thats why I'm applying
- here's my cv

Thank you
If a person has received a formal TC offer, can the law firm withdraw it before the offer expires? Other than if the offeree suddenly commits a crime, etc!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Technically yes they can. The code of best recruitment practice which states the "offer" period, is only a "code", there are no formal repercussions for anyone who doesn't stick to the code, whether that be an applicant or a firm.

However, I have never heard of a firm retracting an offer within the offer period unless the individual concerned has not passed the reference process, or unless the firm has gone under/had severe financial issues.

Okay, thanks! I checked the SRA code, but it didn't say anything about this... Is there any protection for offerees?
Original post by J-SP
The SRA isn't involved in the code anymore, they withdrew their support sometime ago.

There is no protection for anyone - firms nor offerees - it is a voluntary code with no regulator involvement.

Firms suffer far much more from individuals reneging on offers than candidates do from firms withdrawing offers. As I said, the only time I have heard of a firm withdrawing an offer is really down to the individual not passing the requirements/conditions in their offer letter (e.g. not meeting minimum academic criteria/not passing the reference process).

The code is just a code of best practice, there is nothing actually enforceable about it and some firms decide to ignore it anyway. The worst that would happen if a firm did renege on a offer for no real reason is some negative PR if it gets into the legal press.

If you have an offer and it states an offer period, this is literally the last thing to worry about.

The updated code for your reference:

https://agr.org.uk/write/Documents/Voluntary_Code_of_Recruitment_for_Trainee_Solicitors.pdf

Thanks!
I have a general question for the TC floor.

Is it ever too late to apply for training contracts? Ie: Would my changes decrease if I have worked for a year post-graduation (law related) and then begin applying for TCs in September 2017? I am going away in the summer so will not be around for any interview days, hence the delay in applications.

My question is, by the time I complete the GDL/LPC, I would be starting a TC at the age of nearly 24, as opposed to those who would be starting their TC slightly younger.

Is this likely to deter my chances of obtaining a TC?

Sorry for that ramble... but would really appreicate some advice!
Reply 112
Original post by Iloveowls123

My question is, by the time I complete the GDL/LPC, I would be starting a TC at the age of nearly 24, as opposed to those who would be starting their TC slightly younger.

Sorry for that ramble... but would really appreicate some advice!

I know many people older than you who have successfully got training contracts. It can be an asset to be older!
Has anyone heard back from Bakers after Video Interview? (I applied end of December and completed the VI around late March)..
does anyone know if slaughter and may contact references before or after they make you a TC offer, and how long it can take them to make an offer after interview? thanks
Original post by Iant4386
Has anyone heard back from Bakers after Video Interview? (I applied end of December and completed the VI around late March)..

I did the same applied for Bakers end of December did video interview in March and not heard back but I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said they do assessment centres in May so I'm hopeful they'll get back to us soon.

I'd say 24 is about the average age for starting a TC.

I'd say a majority of the trainees at my firm (large international firm in London) had another job, or did some paralegalling, or did some volunteering or something like Teach First, before starting. We also have trainees in their late twenties and probably some in their thirties.

There are still people that jumped immediately into a TC after uni and then LPC, but that seems to no longer be the norm.
Has anyone heard back from Reed Smith or Clyde & Co for direct TC applications?
Reply 118
Original post by artyfarty1001
does anyone know if slaughter and may contact references before or after they make you a TC offer, and how long it can take them to make an offer after interview? thanks

Re references: I asked this question at my interview and understand it is before an offer is made.

Re timing: maximum 2 weeks from interview as the partners meet every fortnight to discuss.

Good luck!
Reply 119
Original post by Sunflower33
Has anyone heard back from Reed Smith or Clyde & Co for direct TC applications?

No, and I applied to Clyde & Co back in October :frown: Only applied to Reed Smith last week though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending