The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE English as a First Language 0500 May 2017

Is anyone taking the exam tomorrow? Any predictions? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I took it last year ~ good luck for tomorrow :h:
Reply 2
Original post by solark
Is anyone taking the exam tomorrow? Any predictions? :smile:

Yeah I'm taking that exam! At my school we do the 50% coursework 50% exam course for CIE English Language, but some schools do it differently. Are you doing it the way I am? Tbh, Q1 and Q2 are okay, its just Q3 that I find difficult. Hope it goes well for you!
Reply 3
Original post by Batgirl98
I took it last year ~ good luck for tomorrow :h:

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by clamk
Yeah I'm taking that exam! At my school we do the 50% coursework 50% exam course for CIE English Language, but some schools do it differently. Are you doing it the way I am? Tbh, Q1 and Q2 are okay, its just Q3 that I find difficult. Hope it goes well for you!

We dont do any coursework we do paper 2 which is tomorrow's paper and paper 3 which is narrative/descriptive writing and an argumentative essay based on a text :smile: Q3 can be super easy if the points are straightforward to find
Reply 5
Hey guys!
I'm sitting the same exam tomorrow!
At my school we do the coursework routes and I find that such a relief!
If I got 48/50 in my language coursework, what would I need to get in the exam to achieve an A grade?
Reply 6
Original post by SomMC1
It's near impossible to predict what 2 texts will be for first lang english 0500. It's also hard to study for the exam itself.
Only advice you should know if to be careful when you select the 15 points for Q3a). Just make sure the same ideas aren't repeated twice or three times because you would lose points.
And for the summary make sure you use all 15 points in it, use OWN words (never copy from the text, although for 3a you can copy), and keep to the word limit. If you go over you will lose 1 mark, so then you will get 4/5 max for the summary

This is entirely correct, but everyone remember that the summary question asks you to completely rearrange the format of the points in your own logical order! Definitely keep to the word limit, and make sure you shrink your writing tomorrow and DONT GO OUTSIDE OF THE 15 POINTS BOX! (Unless you cross one out, then you are allowed to)
Anyone doing 0627 first language English tomorrow.... (9-1)
It is a completely new exam and seems like no one knows exactly what it will be like or how it will be marked😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
HI guys, my school does the coursework route and I got full marks in my coursework which is such a relief My teacher says that overall the grade for an A* is 80% so I need to get above 30/50 tomorrow which should be easy! Maybe a little TOO easy, I'm wondering if this A* boundary is right, anyone know???
Reply 9
Original post by SomMC1
Hey bro!
We also did the coursework. My teacher did not tell me the results, but she did say "high 40s", which was my goal all along.
YOU got 48/50 which is nearly 100% so firstly congratulations.

I reckon if you knock 40/50 for the exam tomorrow, you should even be getting A*
My aim is 40/50 so I can 100% secure the A and potentially even the A*, if boundaries get lowered this year.
So finally I say aim for 40/50

Hey! Good luck for the exam tomorrow! A mark in the high 40's would probably give you an A if not an A* in the coursework. That's impressive!
Thanks so much! I worked so very hard on my coursework and I'm so pleased that some of the pressure has been taken off!
Okay, I'll aim for that, too!
What other exams do you have soon? I had german today with the same exam board (CIE) and the listening was difficult and the writing was bearable!
Reply 10
Original post by 192127
HI guys, my school does the coursework route and I got full marks in my coursework which is such a relief My teacher says that overall the grade for an A* is 80% so I need to get above 30/50 tomorrow which should be easy! Maybe a little TOO easy, I'm wondering if this A* boundary is right, anyone know???

I got 48/50 in my coursework, also congrats for such a fabulous mark and good luck for tomorrow's exam!
It doesn't sound too easy at all, the grade boundaries are pretty low anyway so don't worry! We've got this!
Would I need to get above 30 as well to secure an A*?
Original post by EGK
Hey! Good luck for the exam tomorrow! A mark in the high 40's would probably give you an A if not an A* in the coursework. That's impressive!
Thanks so much! I worked so very hard on my coursework and I'm so pleased that some of the pressure has been taken off!
Okay, I'll aim for that, too!
What other exams do you have soon? I had german today with the same exam board (CIE) and the listening was difficult and the writing was bearable!

Hey!
Your coursework pretty much garantees you an A, and if you get that 40/50, then you just got yourself your first A*. Congratulations :wink:

I also had german. The listening was awkward at times - i bet the boundaries will drop for german this year because of the listening. Also the writing, I saw a lot of the people on the forums (as well as in my school) did not understand the word "beruhmte" (famous), and instead of writing about someone who was famous, they wrote about any person. So boundaries should drop too.
Reply 12
Original post by SomMC1
Hey!
Your coursework pretty much garantees you an A, and if you get that 40/50, then you just got yourself your first A*. Congratulations :wink:

I also had german. The listening was awkward at times - i bet the boundaries will drop for german this year because of the listening. Also the writing, I saw a lot of the people on the forums (as well as in my school) did not understand the word "beruhmte" (famous), and instead of writing about someone who was famous, they wrote about any person. So boundaries should drop too.

Ah thank you! Well done to you, also!
Yes I found that to be the same here. I was one of those that didn't recognise the word! I wrote about a famous dentist instead and covered all but the third bullet as I spoke about why 'she' (my made up character) liked her job instead of why she was likeable. Many people in my school (all but one, actually) didn't recognise the word either.
Other than that, the third writing task was a breeze! I chose option 3b as I had prepared a few sentences on Pocketmoney which was good!
Original post by EGK
Ah thank you! Well done to you, also!
Yes I found that to be the same here. I was one of those that didn't recognise the word! I wrote about a famous dentist instead and covered all but the third bullet as I spoke about why 'she' (my made up character) liked her job instead of why she was likeable. Many people in my school (all but one, actually) didn't recognise the word either.
Other than that, the third writing task was a breeze! I chose option 3b as I had prepared a few sentences on Pocketmoney which was good!

So you should be aiming for A* in german then as well. You'll be losing point on the first writing with the famous person, but if you did 3b well, then it should 'cover' the losses from the first writing. You also got the comprehension paper to extend your points for A*.

We got this bro :smile:
Tomorrow we will smash english and both enjoy A* :wink: :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by SomMC1
So you should be aiming for A* in german then as well. You'll be losing point on the first writing with the famous person, but if you did 3b well, then it should 'cover' the losses from the first writing. You also got the comprehension paper to extend your points for A*.

We got this bro :smile:
Tomorrow we will smash english and both enjoy A* :wink: :wink:

Nooooo not an A*! An A! Although my speaking went well and my teacher told me I did better than last time (I got 83/100 which was an A last time). Reading is my second best skill, writing third and listening my worst! Hopefully I won't lose too many marks, I spent ages trying to get 18 verbs into Q3!!
We've got this! IGCSE English Lang we're coming for you!
What other exams do you have coming up? Sciences?
Good luck everyone for tomorrow!

I've just been reading through the learner guide as it has some decent tips for the questions so here it is if you wan't to have a look:
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/163028-learner-guide-for-cambridge-igcse-first-language-english-0500-.pdf
Original post by EGK
Nooooo not an A*! An A! Although my speaking went well and my teacher told me I did better than last time (I got 83/100 which was an A last time). Reading is my second best skill, writing third and listening my worst! Hopefully I won't lose too many marks, I spent ages trying to get 18 verbs into Q3!!
We've got this! IGCSE English Lang we're coming for you!
What other exams do you have coming up? Sciences?

Naaah bro, you gotta aim high. I'm aiming for 10 A*s. For my mocks I got 5A*, 1A, 4Bs. Teachers and my mates told me it's impossible to get 10A*s, especially since I got 4Bs in the mocks. But I believe in myself. You gotta aim for an A*. If you aim for an A*, you will get an A. If you aim for an A, you will get a B.
83/100 is good enough for speaking in german. I got 99/100 but I was memorising speaking for months with my mother.
Since reading is your second best, that will pull your grade up. A* is still possible bro. You got this.

I already got 2 chemistrys done - MC and paper 6. I predict 30/40 -ish from both. Not great but with my tactics that is enough for an A*. I now need between 50-65 out of 80 for Paper 4 (theory extended) and I got an A*. How about you?
Reply 17
Original post by SomMC1
Naaah bro, you gotta aim high. I'm aiming for 10 A*s. For my mocks I got 5A*, 1A, 4Bs. Teachers and my mates told me it's impossible to get 10A*s, especially since I got 4Bs in the mocks. But I believe in myself. You gotta aim for an A*. If you aim for an A*, you will get an A. If you aim for an A, you will get a B.
83/100 is good enough for speaking in german. I got 99/100 but I was memorising speaking for months with my mother.
Since reading is your second best, that will pull your grade up. A* is still possible bro. You got this.

I already got 2 chemistrys done - MC and paper 6. I predict 30/40 -ish from both. Not great but with my tactics that is enough for an A*. I now need between 50-65 out of 80 for Paper 4 (theory extended) and I got an A*. How about you?

I got 2A*'s and 7A's and a B in my mocks (B in German) and overall in German I got 66%, so I'm assuming an A is 70? I got a C in Listening, an A in speaking, A in writing and an A in reading!
I've only done german so far, and English tomorrow. I do AQA science and have achieved A*'s in my Unit 3 mocks recently so hopefully I can continue to get that! Good luck for all of your exams! You can do it! 🤗
Original post by EGK
I got 2A*'s and 7A's and a B in my mocks (B in German) and overall in German I got 66%, so I'm assuming an A is 70? I got a C in Listening, an A in speaking, A in writing and an A in reading!
I've only done german so far, and English tomorrow. I do AQA science and have achieved A*'s in my Unit 3 mocks recently so hopefully I can continue to get that! Good luck for all of your exams! You can do it! 🤗

Very nice mock results. Congratulations on that. The A is around that 70% mark, A* usually around 75-80%. So it is all very very close.
The sciences as A* would be a superb result. I see you got ambitions which is pleasing to see. Good luck bro :h::h: let me know how it goes tomorrow :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by SomMC1
Very nice mock results. Congratulations on that. The A is around that 70% mark, A* usually around 75-80%. So it is all very very close.
The sciences as A* would be a superb result. I see you got ambitions which is pleasing to see. Good luck bro :h::h: let me know how it goes tomorrow :smile:

Thanks, likewise to you!
I hope I can get a good grade in german, I find it really difficult to learn the language because I already speak Turkish and English, of course. Yeah, I would like A*'s in my Sciences! I want to study them next year. Best of luck, I'll let you know how I find English tomorrow :smile:))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending