The Student Room Group

English Literature Poetry 2017

This question is for everyone, however, if you're on the WJEC you may be able to help more. For poetry, should I memorise ALL of my poetry notes (bear in mind there are 18 in total and only 2 will be used in the exam) or just focus on a select few. If so, which ones should I revise and how?
Original post by CinnamonSmol
This question is for everyone, however, if you're on the WJEC you may be able to help more. For poetry, should I memorise ALL of my poetry notes (bear in mind there are 18 in total and only 2 will be used in the exam) or just focus on a select few. If so, which ones should I revise and how?

I'm doing the AQA exam and have 15 poems to memorise. Since most of them link to war, I am mainly focusing on them as they all have a common theme. Other than that, I am memorising a few quotes from each one as you can never really predict what will come up.
Reply 2

I'm doing CIE, but I think the basis of the exam is the same. Personally, you should be able to have three points about each poem (so the basis for an essay), and make sure they include form, language and structure.

Definitely don't focus on a select few, because if none of them come up it will be pretty difficult for you to do well. Instead, be able to identify the themes and techniques used in each poem - you don't need to know everything, but you should know what you'd write about if the poem comes up.
Original post by iporter6
I'm doing CIE, but I think the basis of the exam is the same. Personally, you should be able to have three points about each poem (so the basis for an essay), and make sure they include form, language and structure.

Definitely don't focus on a select few, because if none of them come up it will be pretty difficult for you to do well. Instead, be able to identify the themes and techniques used in each poem - you don't need to know everything, but you should know what you'd write about if the poem comes up.

thank you :smile:

My Head of English said, and I quote ahah, " Memorise what you can, don't overload your memory and get stressed, if you don't know the annotations or the poem which compares to the poem in the paper, just speak about everything {including; Context, Language, Structure, and Form} with the poem present in front of you (basically just talk ALOT about the poem in the paper) and you could get up to a grade 4 on that section in your paper" - (as you're doing your exam this year, just like me, you know a 4 is a low pass (still a pass!!) Good luck, I know how hard the english papers are this year... x
Original post by leahhinds
My Head of English said, and I quote ahah, " Memorise what you can, don't overload your memory and get stressed, if you don't know the annotations or the poem which compares to the poem in the paper, just speak about everything {including; Context, Language, Structure, and Form} with the poem present in front of you (basically just talk ALOT about the poem in the paper) and you could get up to a grade 4 on that section in your paper" - (as you're doing your exam this year, just like me, you know a 4 is a low pass (still a pass!!) Good luck, I know how hard the english papers are this year... x

I'm sure that you will be able to remember some parts of the poems, even if you do not revise. Include even a little bit of comparison and you could be getting more than just a 4 :smile:
Original post by haseeb_jarral786
I'm sure that you will be able to remember some parts of the poems, even if you do not revise. Include even a little bit of comparison and you could be getting more than just a 4 :smile:

I hope so!! Thank you!!:h:

I'm doing the exact exam board as you and my teacher says to just focus on these five main themes and these are the two poems of those themes that I know in detail:

Love: Valentine, Sonnet 43
War: The Manhunt, The Soldier
Nature: Hawk Roosting, Death of a Naturalist
Time: Ozymandias, As Imperceptibly as Grief
Place: London, Living Space

I have learnt context, language, structure, form for those ten and have briefly looked over the others just in case. Also, my teacher says it's unlikely that it is To Autumn as it was the specimen material the exam board gave us.
(edited 6 years ago)
I did WJEC English lit in 2015, which novels/play or whatever it is are you doing? I can help out if you're doing "An Inspector Calls"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rome x mary
I'm doing the exact exam board as you and my teacher says to just focus on these five main themes and these are the two poems of those themes that I know in detail:

Love: Valentine, Sonnet 43
War: The Manhunt, The Soldier
Nature: Hawk Roosting, Death of a Naturalist
Time: Ozymandias, As Imperceptibly as Grief
Place: London, Living Space

I have learnt context, language, structure, form for those ten and have briefly looked over the others just in case. Also, my teacher says it's unlikely that it is To Autumn as it was the specimen material the exam board gave us.

I spoke to my teacher and she gave me similar feedback and told me to divide it into different themes and memorise around 7 plans for those poems and then just learn like a couple things about the rest
Original post by Halzy1234
I did WJEC English lit in 2015, which novels/play or whatever it is are you doing? I can help out if you're doing "An Inspector Calls"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing 'An Inspector Calls', any tips please? Kinda scared about that one, because it's supposedly the easiest but it's the only section of my literature exam I haven't revised for yet.

I'm doing CIE too - what poems do you think will come up? I really want stabat mater or she was a phantom of delight!
Original post by nish2910
I'm doing CIE too - what poems do you think will come up? I really want stabat mater or she was a phantom of delight!

I'm not doing either of those poems? Maybe we're on a different anthology, sorry.
I'm doing 'An Inspector Calls', any tips please? Kinda scared about that one, because it's supposedly the easiest but it's the only section of my literature exam I haven't revised for yet.

Have you memorised the important speeches from the play? Basically for each character you should write down all the important things that they say and memorise it. If you find it difficult to do then don't hesitate to pop up. Also, go over practice questions regularly before the exam. When is your exam? One of my tips would be to write everything that comes to mind no matter what coz in the exam time is everything. You need time to get through the whole exam paper and get onto the poem part of the exam too. I forgot how the paper is structured as I did it two years ago but I'm pretty sure the poem one comes last coz I remember doing it last. I don't know how everyone's doing it this year but when I was doing it we got given a random poem to label and write about etc. As for An Inspector Calls, it's important for you to know that Goole went to them for a reason as an police officer. He did it to teach them all a lesson and make them realise how stuck up snobs they really are and the only people that have any regrets throughout the whole play is Eric and Sheila. Mr Birling is as daft as it gets and doesn't really care and Mrs Birling is practically shook by the end of the play coz she didn't expect for all of this to happen but she still doesn't budge. Gerald Croft looked like he did care nevertheless he didn't really seem as though he was remorseful for cheating on Sheila.. acc I don't remember if he did.. well he clearly didn't since goole was fooling everyone and showed different pictures to everyone. Anyway if you need help don't hesitate to pop up. I've got lots more if you need the help but it's kinda long to type here..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing AQA, War and Conflict, and personally I'm learning 2-3 quotes for each theme for each poem. This means that I'll always have a quote for whatever the essay question may be on (I hope) :smile:

I suggest you learn quotes that cover multiple topics, and be sure to learn what they mean. Lot's of quotes cover more than one theme, which is great.

Shmoop is a great place to get quotes. I've written mine all down on flash cards, with the description on the back. I can also have a quick look at them before the exam happens.

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

tbh i'm being really lazy with my english lit revision.

i'm just planning to do 1/2 poem(s) for a specific theme,

so for war, i'm going to be revising dulce et decorum est.
for power im doing ozymandias and hawk roosting
etc
Have you memorised the important speeches from the play? Basically for each character you should write down all the important things that they say and memorise it. If you find it difficult to do then don't hesitate to pop up. Also, go over practice questions regularly before the exam. When is your exam? One of my tips would be to write everything that comes to mind no matter what coz in the exam time is everything. You need time to get through the whole exam paper and get onto the poem part of the exam too. I forgot how the paper is structured as I did it two years ago but I'm pretty sure the poem one comes last coz I remember doing it last. I don't know how everyone's doing it this year but when I was doing it we got given a random poem to label and write about etc. As for An Inspector Calls, it's important for you to know that Goole went to them for a reason as an police officer. He did it to teach them all a lesson and make them realise how stuck up snobs they really are and the only people that have any regrets throughout the whole play is Eric and Sheila. Mr Birling is as daft as it gets and doesn't really care and Mrs Birling is practically shook by the end of the play coz she didn't expect for all of this to happen but she still doesn't budge. Gerald Croft looked like he did care nevertheless he didn't really seem as though he was remorseful for cheating on Sheila.. acc I don't remember if he did.. well he clearly didn't since goole was fooling everyone and showed different pictures to everyone. Anyway if you need help don't hesitate to pop up. I've got lots more if you need the help but it's kinda long to type here..

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, thanks. I've been told not to memorise everything, because we get an option of a cross-text question or a (given) passage-based question, so I'm probably going for the passage. But the analysis of their actions is good - it all links back to responsibility and whether or not they accept it. I really like writing about the contrast between the old and young generations, and how Gerald is stuck in the middle (appearing remorseful but then siding with the Birlings about how the Inspector's fraud is more important than their accountability). My main problem with this play is that I learnt it in drama too, so I keep writing my English essays from that perspective instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes please, i aam doing inspector calls x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending