The Student Room Group

How much time should I spend on each question? CLASSICAL CIVILISATIONS AQA

My exam is nearing and I'm really bad at handling timing, I'll always run over on previous questions and never leave enough time for the important 20-30markers. Just wondering if anyone knows how much time I should spend on each question in the AQA classical civilisation AS paper and if its the same with the A2 paper?
Original post by itssnicoladsa
My exam is nearing and I'm really bad at handling timing, I'll always run over on previous questions and never leave enough time for the important 20-30markers. Just wondering if anyone knows how much time I should spend on each question in the AQA classical civilisation AS paper and if its the same with the A2 paper?

Whilst I don't know the answer, the one thing I would say is that it's something you can work out from past papers and how long you take.

A crude starting point is to sivide the marks by length in minutes to give you a figure for marks per minute that you should be attempting (e.g.for a 90 minutes maths exams with 75 marks, you have time to spend 1 minute per mark available plus time to go over your work)

Then adjust this accordingly - you say that you're runnng out of time for the last question so how can you cut back time earlier?

The one other thing is to prepare for a number of potential questions using bulletin points, write them down at the start of the exam once you've remembered them and then write quickly by expanding on the bullet points that you remember for each topic and mentioning critics etc if applicable and when your time is up, write a conclusion and move on quickly.
I've always done the larger questions before the small ones as these are where you get the main body of marks and the rest are just for extra marks to increase your grade, thats why it's very important you do the main ones first. For example in AS i'd spend no more than 40 minutes on the 30 markers giving you time to plan, 25 minutes for the 20 marker and 15 for the ten markers and then 10 minutes gives you more than enough time to go over the smaller 1/2/5 marks and to re-read and make any additions to your other answers. i would always make time for planning as the argument is key. As for A2 i try and spend 45-50 minutes on the 40 marker as this is worth just one half marks then 20 minutes for the 25 marker 10-12 for the ten and then the rest for the 5 marker as this tend to just be basic memory recall of details and the others require and argument or evaluation. so basically

AS; i did women in Rome and Athens / Roman Architecture.
- 30 mark = 35-40 mins
- 20 mark = 25 mins
- 10 mark = 15 mins
small ones + going over whole paper = 10-15 mins

A2; I'm doing Augustus and the foundations of the Princpate / life and death of Socrates
-40 mark = 45 mins
- 20 mark = 25 mins
10 mark = 10-15 mins
5 mark + going over the paper = 5-10 mins
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Whilst I don't know the answer, the one thing I would say is that it's something you can work out from past papers and how long you take.

A crude starting point is to sivide the marks by length in minutes to give you a figure for marks per minute that you should be attempting (e.g.for a 90 minutes maths exams with 75 marks, you have time to spend 1 minute per mark available plus time to go over your work)

Then adjust this accordingly - you say that you're runnng out of time for the last question so how can you cut back time earlier?

The one other thing is to prepare for a number of potential questions using bulletin points, write them down at the start of the exam once you've remembered them and then write quickly by expanding on the bullet points that you remember for each topic and mentioning critics etc if applicable and when your time is up, write a conclusion and move on quickly.

Thank you, really going to try the bullet point idea when practising my past papers.
Original post by Dylanrainepp
I've always done the larger questions before the small ones as these are where you get the main body of marks and the rest are just for extra marks to increase your grade, thats why it's very important you do the main ones first. For example in AS i'd spend no more than 40 minutes on the 30 markers giving you time to plan, 25 minutes for the 20 marker and 15 for the ten markers and then 10 minutes gives you more than enough time to go over the smaller 1/2/5 marks and to re-read and make any additions to your other answers. i would always make time for planning as the argument is key. As for A2 i try and spend 45-50 minutes on the 40 marker as this is worth just one half marks then 20 minutes for the 25 marker 10-12 for the ten and then the rest for the 5 marker as this tend to just be basic memory recall of details and the others require and argument or evaluation. so basically

AS; i did women in Rome and Athens / Roman Architecture.
- 30 mark = 35-40 mins
- 20 mark = 25 mins
- 10 mark = 15 mins
small ones + going over whole paper = 10-15 mins

A2; I'm doing Augustus and the foundations of the Princpate / life and death of Socrates
-40 mark = 45 mins
- 20 mark = 25 mins
10 mark = 10-15 mins
5 mark + going over the paper = 5-10 mins

Thanks so much, i think i should definitely try doing the 30 marker first and maybe working through the paper backwards. This was really helpful!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending