The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology exam

Who's sitting the sociology exam this monday?! I'm so scared are you guys prepared?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i feel prepared yeah
I feel as though I'm prepared enough, and I'm quite excited. Do you know how much we would need to get in both papers to get an A*?
Reply 3
Original post by Maribella_321
I feel as though I'm prepared enough, and I'm quite excited. Do you know how much we would need to get in both papers to get an A*?

I asked my teacher about grade boundaries yesterday, to get an A* you need to be getting 75 marks on each paper. Let's hope grade boundaries stay the same as previous years!
How do you structure your 12 marks essays?
Reply 4
Original post by Txhmid
i feel prepared yeah

How do you structure your 12 marks answers? I'm aiming for an A* but i always fall back by a few marks bare annoying.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm pretty ****ing scared. My teacher has been giving me 12/12 on all of my most recent 12 mark answers but I worry that it's some kind of personal bias or that she's not marking it as strictly as an examiner would, or maybe I might end up running out of time in the exam since I feel like I write wayyyy too much for the 12 mark essays when apparently you can get full marks on them with only like 3-4 points and with about 10 mins of writing. I have to rush through the earlier stuff so I have at least 15 mins to write the 12 markers.
Reply 6
Original post by liam12345677
I'm pretty ****ing scared. My teacher has been giving me 12/12 on all of my most recent 12 mark answers but I worry that it's some kind of personal bias or that she's not marking it as strictly as an examiner would, or maybe I might end up running out of time in the exam since I feel like I write wayyyy too much for the 12 mark essays when apparently you can get full marks on them with only like 3-4 points and with about 10 mins of writing. I have to rush through the earlier stuff so I have at least 15 mins to write the 12 markers.

That's really good that you get 12/12 either way you must be scoring above 10 on those essays even if your teacher is being biased. Is there a certain way you structure your 12 markers in school?
Original post by tanisha04
That's really good that you get 12/12 either way you must be scoring above 10 on those essays even if your teacher is being biased. Is there a certain way you structure your 12 markers in school?

My teacher always told us to use a 'fish plan' but it's all the same throughout humanities subjects - basically you want your introduction, 2 points arguing one side, 2 points arguing the opposition side, and a conclusion. I think I write too much in detail for my 4 points because my teacher says writing 6 points would be good, but I guess 4 points with in-depth description is good enough for the marks.

Your intro wants to be short, like maybe 1-3 sentences. I always start my answer by saying 'sociologists would NOT agree' because you know about the 4 types of sociologists from doing your GCSE and they all have radically different views, so they're obviously not gonna agree. Some people write 'sociologists DO agree because..., however some sociologists disagree because...' but it essentially means the same thing - you're introducing the fact that there are multiple sides to the debate.

Start with the side stated in the question, the side that would agree with the statement. If your points can be linked together somehow (as in, your 'for' point and 'against' point somehow play off each other, e.g. functionalists agree that meritocracy DOES exist, however marxists say it is a myth) then write them one after the other, but if they don't, don't worry. If your idea or sociological process for one of your points can be linked back to a particular TYPE of sociologist, e.g. talking about chivalry thesis in crime and deviance, then be sure to mention the group of sociologists.

Don't forget to sprinkle in lots of key terms. If there's something that has a fancy sociological word that you can use instead, USE IT. This would be a good use for your extra checking time, if you have any left at the end. For example, instead of saying 'pupils feel left out' say they feel 'excluded' or 'marginalised' by their social peer group.

And the conclusion is the most important part. I was getting like 6/7 out of 12 because I always only got about 3 points down and didn't add a conclusion, but your conclusion is the most important part! It weighs up 'how far' they actually agree, and I find that you can often sort of repeat what you say in the start introduction, just with a bit of a spin on it. What you should say is 'X sociologists agree with the statement because of reason A and B, however Y sociologists would disagree with the statement because of reasons C and D'. But you sort of need to show how their arguments interact and how important the arguments are, e.g. when re-stating one side's arguments, say that THAT SIDE disagrees with the opposing side's arguments because THAT SIDE'S arguments are better than the opposing side's arguments, or something really basic like that, it just sort of shows the examiner you know that you needed to weigh up both sides.
Reply 8
Im sitting it on monday every mock ive done i got an a* so i feel prepared
Reply 9
Original post by f_2000
Im sitting it on monday every mock ive done i got an a* so i feel prepared

How do you answer this question that always comes up in the studying society section, for example,
Describe one way in which sociological research may help government and/or schools to prevent bullying in school.
It's a 4 mark question but i just don't know what they mean by sociological research? Is it the same as research methods or do they mean things like case studies, field experiments etc..
I asked my teacher about grade boundaries yesterday, to get an A* you need to be getting 75 marks on each paper. Let's hope grade boundaries stay the same as previous years!
How do you structure your 12 marks essays?

Well, essentially I start with a paragraph with some sociologists would agree... Then I would do another paragraph for agree. Then 2 paragraphs for disagree. And a conclusion.
I just use different views e.g Marxist, New rights and feminist with studies/laws/theories.

Make sure you sum up and make a logical conclusion.
How do you answer this question that always comes up in the studying society section, for example,
Describe one way in which sociological research may help government and/or schools to prevent bullying in school.
It's a 4 mark question but i just don't know what they mean by sociological research? Is it the same as research methods or do they mean things like case studies, field experiments etc..

That would be research methods.

An example would be;

One way in which sociological research may help the government and/or schools to prevent bullying in school is by finding out the different social factors that causes bullying through questionnaires that have been given to school students. When finding out the different causes, the government and/or school is able to implement new policies to help prevent bullying. For example, one cause of bullying may be that students do not have the newest, up-to-date trainers. So the government or school may put in a policy which concludes that students of all genders and year groups must wear the exact same shoes, which eliminates that cause of bullying.
Reply 12
Original post by Maribella_321
That would be research methods.

An example would be;

One way in which sociological research may help the government and/or schools to prevent bullying in school is by finding out the different social factors that causes bullying through questionnaires that have been given to school students. When finding out the different causes, the government and/or school is able to implement new policies to help prevent bullying. For example, one cause of bullying may be that students do not have the newest, up-to-date trainers. So the government or school may put in a policy which concludes that students of all genders and year groups must wear the exact same shoes, which eliminates that cause of bullying.

This is a really good example, thank you so much!
Reply 13
I'm nervous but kinda excited! I mean my teacher says I'm a strong Sociology student but in my opinion i feel like I make stupid mistakes; I know all the theories but I sometimes forget when to include them; and I hope my revision was thorough and I hope I didn't forget to polish certain aspects :/
Good luck guys xx
Reply 14
Original post by sohyun
I'm nervous but kinda excited! I mean my teacher says I'm a strong Sociology student but in my opinion i feel like I make stupid mistakes; I know all the theories but I sometimes forget when to include them; and I hope my revision was thorough and I hope I didn't forget to polish certain aspects :/
Good luck guys xx

same im scared but exited think i could get an a* or a, just hope the 12 markers will be ok

good luck
Original post by f_2000
same im scared but exited think i could get an a* or a, just hope the 12 markers will be ok

good luck

Yeah, I looked over my past papers from unit 1 2015 and OH MY GOD those family 12 markers were honestly the most ****ed things ever. 'the family is child centred' and 'there is no longer a typical family type in Britain today'. Like OK, I could answer both of those but there's no opportunities to really go into detail easily. Like what theories do you ****ing talk about for a typical family type? There's the rise of the neo-conventional (dual-worker) family and the symmetrical family, but then for the 'there IS a typical family' there's not much you can write. Most of the sociologists, while thinking there SHOULD be a normal family type, do actually acknowledge that it's true that there is no longer a typical family type.

And then that child centred question is really obscure, like I get that we cover it when learning about families but still, that's definitely a harder 12 marker to answer, like it's not as obvious as something like rising divorce/falling marriage rates.

The boundaries for that paper were a lot lower though, like 70/90 was an A* when I've seen people on here mention that it's normally like 75/76 out of 90 for an A*.
Reply 16
Original post by f_2000

good luck

Don't let the nerves get to you! Remember that you're always trying your best; thank you and good luck xx
How was it?
Reply 18
I found it pretty simple, i think i got like 80/90 hbu?
Reply 19
Original post by f_2000
I found it pretty simple, i think i got like 80/90 hbu?

I think i definetly got over 75 dunno though cos my 12 mark questions could have been so much more developed if i had more time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending