The Student Room Group

Computer science cie 17th may paper 22

How did everyone find it
(edited 6 years ago)
Mine was component 23, it was really unexpected. I would have never expected a "structured english" question, and it was worth something like 8 or 10 marks! I've never seen a structured english question in any past paper... also there was a part where you were supposed to test if a password string contains 2 or more upper case, lower case characters, 3 or more numbers, and all alpha-numeric characters. Are we expected to learn the range of the ascii numbers for them?!
Reply 2
Omg I had that exact question do you remember any of your answers?
Original post by Matien_98
How did everyone find it and what answers did u lot get I'm kinda worried

Heyy, I did paper 22 and I really struggled with it. How was yours?
Original post by owenlearnstopun
Mine was component 23, it was really unexpected. I would have never expected a "structured english" question, and it was worth something like 8 or 10 marks! I've never seen a structured english question in any past paper... also there was a part where you were supposed to test if a password string contains 2 or more upper case, lower case characters, 3 or more numbers, and all alpha-numeric characters. Are we expected to learn the range of the ascii numbers for them?!

I did component 22, and we had similar questions. The structured English question was one I found to be oddly straightforward, while my classmates were complaining about it a lot and many just said they wrote pseudocode instead. Not sure if they get marks for that though, I believe that marking will be similar as when they ask for program code they don't accept pseudocode either. I managed to write precisely 8 statements and I broke the 3 original modules to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1 etc. That was 8 marks as far as I remember.
For the last big question, we had a vehicle registration number. Characters 1-3 and 6+ are capital letters. Characters 4-5 are numbers. I don't believe they expect you to know the ASCII codes for all relevant characters, because I simply compared the ASCII of each character with the ASCII of "A" and "Z". I was taught in VB.net, so my condition looked something like this:
If Asc(NextChar) < Asc("A") or Asc(NextChar) > Asc("Z")
Then Validation Success = FALSE
End If
I did the same with the integer check too since I couldn't think of another way to check for integer values. Unfortunately I ran out of time at the end and I was writing the last out of the 4 checks (each of the 4 was in a loop) but I managed to write the return statement and end function statement and I had done all the other questions. I didn't get to complete the last check so I might lose 2-3 marks on that part out of how many ever marks that was worth (I believe it was pretty huge, around 10).
Meanwhile, what did you all write for the first question where they ask for operand types for arithmetic and logic operations? I just wrote Integer and Boolean but I heard some say things like Mod and logic gates, which are operators not operand types.
Original post by Dancin9Donuts
I did component 22, and we had similar questions. The structured English question was one I found to be oddly straightforward, while my classmates were complaining about it a lot and many just said they wrote pseudocode instead. Not sure if they get marks for that though, I believe that marking will be similar as when they ask for program code they don't accept pseudocode either. I managed to write precisely 8 statements and I broke the 3 original modules to 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1 etc. That was 8 marks as far as I remember.
For the last big question, we had a vehicle registration number. Characters 1-3 and 6+ are capital letters. Characters 4-5 are numbers. I don't believe they expect you to know the ASCII codes for all relevant characters, because I simply compared the ASCII of each character with the ASCII of "A" and "Z". I was taught in VB.net, so my condition looked something like this:
If Asc(NextChar) < Asc("A":wink: or Asc(NextChar) > Asc("Z":wink:
End If
I did the same with the integer check too since I couldn't think of another way to check for integer values. Unfortunately I ran out of time at the end and I was writing the last out of the 4 checks (each of the 4 was in a loop) but I managed to write the return statement and end function statement and I had done all the other questions. I didn't get to complete the last check so I might lose 2-3 marks on that part out of how many ever marks that was worth (I believe it was pretty huge, around 10).
Meanwhile, what did you all write for the first question where they ask for operand types for arithmetic and logic operations? I just wrote Integer and Boolean but I heard some say things like Mod and logic gates, which are operators not operand types.

Oh my god, im stupid. Didnt think of using asc("a") and asc("z")..... Ahhhh im angry at myself..... The first question, they only asked "varC <- varA or varB what is the type for varC" and i simply put boolean, im pretty sure thats correct. I hope everyone finds this difficult, i think i got way too many marks off this paper, i usually only get under 5 marks off in past papers...
If Asc(NextChar) < Asc("A":wink: or Asc(NextChar) > Asc("Z":wink:
End If

What did you write for the question that had "****" and we had to print without that
Original post by mayank.2592
What did you write for the question that had "****" and we had to print without that

Ah yes, that was a funny one. I had to write 3 different programs with a wide assortment of loops and conditions until I got one that I think works. It's in VB.net, so I hope it suffices. I'm also skipping declaration - I can't be bothered:

FileWriter = New IO.StreamWriter("FileName.txt", True)
i, n = 1
DataLine = ""
Do
While Lookup(i) <> "****"
DataItem = Lookup(i)
DataLine = DataLine + DataItem
n = n + 1
i = i + 1
If n > 3 Then
FileWriter.WriteLine(DataLine)
n = 1
DataLine = ""
End If
End While
i = i + 1
Loop Until i > 20

If you need me to explain it further, tell me and I'll do my best.
Ah yes, that was a funny one. I had to write 3 different programs with a wide assortment of loops and conditions until I got one that I think works. It's in VB.net, so I hope it suffices. I'm also skipping declaration - I can't be bothered:

i, n = 1
DataLine = ""
Do
DataItem = Lookup(i)
n = n + 1
i = i + 1
If n > 3 Then
n = 1
DataLine = ""
End If
End While
i = i + 1
Loop Until i > 20

I learnt Python so what I did was I searched for the "****" in the given array. If it is "****", then it removes it from the array. Then I assigned the array(which had remaining entries left to a new variable, and then using a loop, I wrote them in a file
Original post by owenlearnstopun
Oh my god, im stupid. Didnt think of using asc("a":wink: and asc("z":wink:..... Ahhhh im angry at myself..... The first question, they only asked "varC <- varA or varB what is the type for varC" and i simply put boolean, im pretty sure thats correct. I hope everyone finds this difficult, i think i got way too many marks off this paper, i usually only get under 5 marks off in past papers...

Don't worry bro, it took me a while to figure out some other questions too. It's also why I probably lost close to 3-4 marks on that last one, barring any other dumb mistakes I made. All of my classmates had a poor opinion of that paper, noone found it any better than 7/10 difficulty. Noone I spoke to did well in that specific question either. Some one literally wrote a case selection and did 26 statements for each letter of the alphabet (twice, since the caps come twice in the string) and 9 more for the number part. Needless to say, he ended up using 2 extra sheets of paper for that question alone.
I doubt the A boundary for the subject is going to be higher than 55%. Haw many marks do you all think you got?
Don't worry bro, it took me a while to figure out some other questions too. It's also why I probably lost close to 3-4 marks on that last one, barring any other dumb mistakes I made. All of my classmates had a poor opinion of that paper, noone found it any better than 7/10 difficulty. Noone I spoke to did well in that specific question either. Some one literally wrote a case selection and did 26 statements for each letter of the alphabet (twice, since the caps come twice in the string) and 9 more for the number part. Needless to say, he ended up using 2 extra sheets of paper for that question alone.
I doubt the A boundary for the subject is going to be higher than 55%. Haw many marks do you all think you got?

By 55%, do you mean 41/75 or 55/75?
I also checked my code for which i removed the "****" from the array and it worked but I would also like to take your opinion on it. I panicked a lot once I saw that paper and I think that was one of the reasons I wasnt able to put my mind into it. I hope the grading threshold is low because I really need an A.
Reply 11

i, n = 1
DataLine = ""
Do
DataItem = Lookup(i)
n = n + 1
i = i + 1
If n > 3 Then
n = 1
DataLine = ""
End If
End While
i = i + 1
Loop Until i > 20

didn't you have to use left ad right MID built in functions?
Original post by teetoo

Those functions are in pseudocode format, We had to write that question in program code
Reply 13
Those functions are in pseudocode format, We had to write that question in program code

So i would lose the whole mark if i used the built in function in program code, cuz you can use those functions in program code just not all caps lock.
Reply 14
Original post by teetoo
So i would lose the whole mark if i used the built in function in program code, cuz you can use those functions in program code just not all caps lock.

plus you had to read each statment from array and right it to a file thats the whole piont of the character question he asked at the beginning
Original post by teetoo
plus you had to read each statment from array and right it to a file thats the whole piont of the character question he asked at the beginning

which method did you use? I used a method to search for the "****" characters in the array and if its present, it will remove those from the array. Once removed, the remaining entries were left and I assigned it into a new array and used a loop to write each in the file
Is that gonna be okay?
By 55%, do you mean 41/75 or 55/75?
I also checked my code for which i removed the "****" from the array and it worked but I would also like to take your opinion on it. I panicked a lot once I saw that paper and I think that was one of the reasons I wasnt able to put my mind into it. I hope the grading threshold is low because I really need an A.

Yes, I mean 40-43/75 for A. I believe this was more difficult than any of the papers I've done before; unless they are going to be more selective with their A and A* candidates this year or CS students around the world have suddenly become extremely intelligent, the thresholds will most likely be lower than last year.
I believe your method of removing entries in the array containing **** should work as it is an alternate solution, but I'm not sure how you would run a loop until the end of the array since you don't know how many **** elements there were and how many you removed. Still, it makes sense and it's probably more efficient than mine since it's python.
Original post by teetoo

Dude, I think you're confusing the password/registration number question with the array question. For the array you had to write it to a file but as far as I remember, you didn't need to check for caps or numbers, hence there is no need to use the left, right or mid functions.
The left, right mid functions would have worked in the last big question worth around 10 marks where you had to check if characters 1 to 3 were caps, characters 4-5 were numbers and the rest were also caps. That is, if you did the same paper as I did (component 22).
However I'm not sure about how you would use them as they have to be in a loop and you have to do a caps check, so there's no real advantage over using a counter and Mid.
Just thought id update (and brag) a bit, my result was 94% surprisingly, i thought id get much lower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending