The Student Room Group

C2 HELP

http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C2/Papers-Edexcel/June%202010%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf

I totally don't understand part c of question 6
finding AC

i think that we can use sine rule here like that
9/sin2.04 =ac/sin 0.7 { ( 0.7 + pi/2 )-pi=0.7 radian} ( is that right way)
and i got 3.09.....

but in mark scheme, they use tan 0.7=ac/9

is my method is valid
Original post by Qer
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C2/Papers-Edexcel/June%202010%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf

finding AC

and i got 3.09.....

is my method is valid

OA is perpendicular to AC - there's a 90° angle. Hence you only need to use sin/cos/tan, not sine or cosine rule (you use this when there isn't a 90° angle).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by markschemes
oa is perpendicular to ac - there's a 90 degree angle. Hence you only need to use sin/cos/tan, not sine or cosine rule.

can you please explain me ? I didn't understand
Reply 3
Original post by markschemes
OA is perpendicular to AC - there's a 90° angle. Hence you only need to use sin/cos/tan, not sine or cosine rule (you use this when there isn't a 90° angle).

URGENT.PNG ???
Original post by Qer
URGENT.PNG ???

What seems to be your problem?

Do you not understand Pythagoras?
Original post by Qer

finding AC

and i got 3.09.....

is my method is valid

It's a right angled triangle... you don't need to use the sine rule...... you only need to use basic trigonometry...

BUT if you insist on doing so, then to find length you need to do 9sin(π20.7)=ACsin(0.7)\displaystyle \frac{9}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-0.7)}=\frac{AC}{\sin(0.7)} which gives AC=7.58AC=7.58
Original post by Qer
???

Where's the confusion? The text says only use sin/cos/tan if there's a 90 degree angle.

For the question in OP, tan(x)=oppositeadjacenttan(0.7)=opposite9tan(x) = \frac{opposite}{adjacent} \Rightarrow tan(0.7) = \frac{opposite}{9}, rearrange for opposite. This is a GCSE topic buddy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
???

What you have highlighted does not refer to the sine rule which is sin(A)a=sin(B)b=sin(C)c\frac{\sin(A)}{a}=\frac{\sin(B)}{b}=\frac{\sin(C)}{c}

nor the cosine rule which is a2=b2+c22bccos(A)a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc\cos(A)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qer
i am just try to clear my confusion.the markscheme said that you can't use sine and cosine in right angle triangle when 90 degree angle is present.............while book says its better

You're confusing sine/cosine/tangent, which are functions, with the "sine rule" and "cosine rule", which are equations. They're not the same at all.
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames
It's a right angled triangle... you don't need to use the sine rule...... you only need to use basic trigonometry...

BUT if you insist on doing so, then to find length you need to do 9sin(π20.7)=ACsin(0.7)\displaystyle \frac{9}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-0.7)}=\frac{AC}{\sin(0.7)} which gives AC=7.58AC=7.58

OK I understand

one thing still confuses me that why you use pi/2 -0.7

why we don't use pi -( pi/2 +0.7 )
Original post by Qer
OK I understand

one thing still confuses me that why you use pi/2 -0.7

why we don't use pi -( pi/2 +0.7 )

It's the same thing
Reply 11
Original post by RDKGames
It's the same thing

ohh