The Student Room Group

Is America a Christian nation?

I was having a conversation with a Muslim friend of mine who argued that the US claims that it's a Christian nation while in reality it worships capitalism and amterialism. I understand where he is coming from but at the end of the day, 70% of Americans are Christians and church attendance rates are the second highest in the developed world, after Ireland. It's founded on Christian values of tolerance, peace and justice for all. However, a poll shows that only 19% of Americans consider America to be a Christian country while 69% consider it to be multi-religious and 9% consider it to be secular.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladbants
I was having a conversation with a Muslim friend of mine who argued that the US claims that it's a Christian nation while in reality it worships capitalism and amterialism. I understand where he is coming from but at the end of the day, 70% of Americans are Christians and church attendance rates are the second highest in the developed world, after Ireland. It's founded on Christian values of tolerance, peace and justice for all. However, a poll shows that only 19% of Americans consider America to be a Christian country while 69% consider it to be multi-religious and 9% consider it to be secular.

Lmao that was only post 1960s
Even now the majority of American Christians are from the Bible Belt and they're not known for their tolerance.
Technically it's secular and people there belong to all sorts of religions. Peace, justice and tolerance are definitely not exclusively Christian, and some would probably say they're not even Christian ideas (or American ideas in practice).
I was having a conversation with a Muslim friend of mine who argued that the US claims that it's a Christian nation while in reality it worships capitalism and amterialism.

It's like saying that someone does not like eating Pizza, because the one likes having a bath.
Did he also say that Islam can free you from shackles of freedom and democracy?

IIt's founded on Christian values of tolerance, peace and justice for all.

It's founded on Unitarian-Christian values of tolerance, peace, and justice- that is correct.
Tolerance was not invented by Christianity, and most of Christian churches were not tolerant, up to modern times.

I 19% of Americans consider America to be a Christian country while 69% consider it to be multi-religious and 9% consider it to be secular.

Over 40% of Americans consider that the Earth is only 3000 years old, so why bother.
I'm waiting when the western world begins to solve mathematical calculations by polls.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
It's a bit of a tedious cliché to suggest a country worships "materialism". People are naturally inclined towards material goods, that have made a huge difference to people's quality of life. If you want to associate any religious faith with harsh asceticism then there will be few outside the monasteries who meet that bar.

The answer here isn't really the issue, it's what the question means that matters. What is a "Christian country"? Obviously no country (with the possible exception of the Vatican...) can or ever has been entirely of one faith. Is the US predominantly Christian? Yes. Does Christianity, more than any other faith, hold cultural sway there? Yes. Is the state Christian and is Christianity an established faith in the US? No, with some exceptions, the US aims to be a secular state.

Think you can tell your friend Muslim countries follow capitalism and materialism as well.

You don't have to be non-religious to enjoy capitalist culture. In fact, a lot of Protestant thinkers like Max Weber actually argued that capitalism and working to get money is a good thing.
Reply 7
Original post by StrawbAri
Lmao that was only post 1960s
Even now the majority of American Christians are from the Bible Belt and they're not known for their tolerance.

The majority of Americans don't live in the Bible Belt and the majority of American Christians don't live in the Bible Belt, they are spread out across the US. Evangelical Christians are concentrated in the Bible Belt
The majority of Americans don't live in the Bible Belt and the majority of American Christians don't live in the Bible Belt, they are spread out across the US. Evangelical Christians are concentrated in the Bible Belt

I didn't say that the majority of Americans live there, I said the majority of American Christians live there as those are the most religious states in the country.

Aaannnd technically you're agreeing with me because evangelicals are the highest proportion of Christians in America.

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Yes. It was built upon Christian ideals.
It's founded on Christian values of tolerance, peace and justice for all.

Christian churches have tortured and killed non-christians throughout history, they are probably the most intolerant cult out there. Wouldn't say they can claim tolerance or justice to be their values.

Christianity has literally caused most wars in European history and sent violent crusades to areas that refuse to bow down to allmighty Jesus. Wouldn't say they are peaceful either.

Also, according to the bible, if you work on a Sunday you should be killed. Peaceful, tolerant and just indeed.

I know that modern christianity doesn't think like that, but it's laughable that they claim these values as if they made them when for 95% of their history they've been doing literally the opposite.
Original post by Mathemagicien

Ah, America is so backwards. The worst of both worlds of capitalism and religion. Of Western nations, only Italy, Poland and Greece are worse, probably because they didn't have the chance to offload their loonies into our colony.

The UK is pretty Christian, but the US takes it to another level. They are definitely a Christian country, their leaders even have to swear an oath on Sky Daddy's diary.

They are definitely a Christian country, their leaders even have to swear an oath on Sky Daddy's diary.

No, they do not.

Didn't Obama swear his oath on a Koran?
Original post by Thomazo
Christian churches have tortured and killed non-christians throughout history, they are probably the most intolerant cult out there. Wouldn't say they can claim tolerance or justice to be their values.

Christianity has literally caused most wars in European history and sent violent crusades to areas that refuse to bow down to allmighty Jesus. Wouldn't say they are peaceful either.

Also, according to the bible, if you work on a Sunday you should be killed. Peaceful, tolerant and just indeed.

I know that modern christianity doesn't think like that, but it's laughable that they claim these values as if they made them when for 95% of their history they've been doing literally the opposite.

Strange that the most tolerant, peaceful and lawful countries are Western Christian countries.

Just coincidence,do you think?
Original post by joe cooley
They are definitely a Christian country, their leaders even have to swear an oath on Sky Daddy's diary.

No, they do not.

Didn't Obama swear his oath on a Koran?

They don't HAVE to, but the majority do.

No, he didn't. That was a myth mostly perpetuated by Facebook right-wingers.
Original post by roadregu
They don't HAVE to, but the majority do.

No, he didn't. That was a myth mostly perpetuated by Facebook right-wingers.

No way!

America is not a Christian nation - the constitution is areligious. Teh majority of the people probably claim to be Christians though.
America is constitutionally non Christian, but there is no hiding the fact it has Christian tendencies.
As for its people, they have blessed the Christian cause a lot, but at the moment many are "lukewarm"
Strange that the most tolerant, peaceful and lawful countries are Western Christian countries.

Just coincidence,do you think?

Just like christianity, for 95% of its history, western civilisation has been one of the most intolerant, prejudicial, racist, unjust and bloodthirsty cultures in the world, shamelessly subjugating and killing anyone standing in its way. Which is indeed no coincidence, considering the belief system that it has forced its people into.

It is wonderful that both christianity and the western civilisation have done a major u-turn when it comes to all this in the past 50-100 years. As they work in conjuncyion, it's natiral that they both had this change of heart at the same time. And it's wonderful that both christianity and the western culture now even promotes the values you describe. However, they MOST CERTAINLY did NOT invent them, which was my point, that your reply does nothing to disprove.
Original post by Thomazo
Just like christianity, for 95% of its history, western civilisation has been one of the most intolerant, prejudicial, racist, unjust and bloodthirsty cultures in the world, shamelessly subjugating and killing anyone standing in its way. Which is indeed no coincidence, considering the belief system that it has forced its people into.

It is wonderful that both christianity and the western civilisation have done a major u-turn when it comes to all this in the past 50-100 years. As they work in conjuncyion, it's natiral that they both had this change of heart at the same time. And it's wonderful that both christianity and the western culture now even promotes the values you describe. However, they MOST CERTAINLY did NOT invent them, which was my point, that your reply does nothing to disprove.

Yet other religions haven't managed to embrace the Christian/Western values of tolerance and the rule of law.

Such a shame.
Yet other religions haven't managed to embrace the Christian/Western values of tolerance and the rule of law.

Such a shame.

It is a shame that those values haven't been embraced elsewhere yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending