The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 01 - 23rd of May 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shahida sulaiman
Really? Then it would be wrong I mean my answer . :frown:
I couldnt do it , my time was over when I got to that question , I feel so bad leaving it but I had no choice and u know how strict the schools are, they dont even allow a sec over the given time :cry:

i had an idea.. but no time to wrok it out .. i hated the explanation questions the most? what did u write for the magnet question?
Original post by zooshan
i had an idea.. but no time to wrok it out .. i hated the explanation questions the most? what did u write for the magnet question?
I just wrote about how there is change in both the balances like the small one is weaker so will be attracted more downward and the weight on the balance would increase etc , Idk if its correct cuz onr of my friend tols that we use newtons laws so maybe I will lose some marks for not mentioning the laws but overall the attraction was the main thing in the question, what did u write?
I just wrote about how there is change in both the balances like the small one is weaker so will be attracted more downward and the weight on the balance would increase etc , Idk if its correct cuz onr of my friend tols that we use newtons laws so maybe I will lose some marks for not mentioning the laws but overall the attraction was the main thing in the question, what did u write?

i wrote about the newton's laws...
Oh ok :smile: , what did u get for the magnitude and the direction ?

I got 29.4N and 38 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zooshan
i wrote about the newton's laws...

Yeah its correct, I only wrote about the second law. :frown:
Original post by Nuha.R
thanx man!
the very last Q of the paper. the young modulus one

We had to find the force for that cuz there was young modulus, cross sectional area and strain.
So E= F/A / strain (1)
So when we have force, we can use it to find the energy stored in one pad when compressing it, so W = 0.5Fx which you multiply by two cuz they want for two pads. And then divide that value by the value for total energy given in the ques (0.8microjoules) and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.
I got 48.6 or somewhere around that no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Droneon
I got 29.4N and 38 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think my direction is wrong lol
Yeah its correct, I only wrote about the second law. :frown:

How many marks was that question tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zooshan
woah.. i dont remember exactly but not around a 16... i used a different method.. not the parallelogram.. how do we do the flea question? i mean the energy.. i wasnt able to do it that well

They gave Power per kg so you could find the power per 0.7mg (mass of flea). And then use P=E/t to get E cuz they have given time as well. E=1/2mv^2 so we could use that to fine v. Make sure you convert the 0.85ms to seconds and 0.7mg to kg. Or if you don't want to convert mass to kg you could keep it as mg or g at the beginning when finding power. Personally I thought converting to kg was easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Droneon
How many marks was that question tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ithink 3 or 4
Original post by Droneon
They gave Power per kg so you could find the power per 0.7mg (mass of flea). And then use P=E/t to get E cuz they have given time as well. E=1/2mv^2 so we could use that to fine v. Make sure you convert the 0.85ms to seconds and 0.7mg to kg. Or if you don't want to convert mass to kg you could keep it as mg or g at the beginning when finding power. Personally I thought converting to kg was easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh.. i found the force.. but wasnt sure of what to do next.. damn it.. i just wish i had more time.. sigh
i keep finding more things im getting wrong ffs :frown: Im praying for low boundaries i really need an A in this paper
Original post by zooshan
woah.. i dont remember exactly but not around a 16... i used a different method.. not the parallelogram.. how do we do the flea question? i mean the energy.. i wasnt able to do it that well

I just realized you were talking about the question before the last one lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zooshan
ohh.. i found the force.. but wasnt sure of what to do next.. damn it.. i just wish i had more time.. sigh

Here's the actual answer to that ques you asked:

We had to find the force for that cuz there was young modulus, cross sectional area and strain.

So E= F/A / strain (1)

So when we have force, we can use it to find the energy stored in one pad when compressing it, so W = 0.5Fx which you multiply by two cuz they want for two pads. And then divide that value by the value for total energy given in the ques (0.8microjoules) and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Droneon
Here's the actual answer to that ques you asked:

So E= F/A / strain (1)

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait how do we find the energy again? thats the part i didnt know.. sorry i didnt get what u meant..
Guys what will the grade boundaries be? it was a difficult paper imo i think around 51-52 considering jan 17 was 49 and wasnt as difficult. What do u guys think tho
Original post by zooshan
wait how do we find the energy again? thats the part i didnt know.. sorry i didnt get what u meant..

Energy = 1/2 x F x (extension/compression)
This value you multiply by 2 to get the energy for two pads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whose paper was amazing???? I have to meet that person lol . up in the poll there is one person whose paper was amazing XD
Original post by Droneon
Energy = 1/2 x F x (extension/compression)
This value you multiply by 2 to get the energy for two pads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

got it!.. thats so easy.. how stupid of me.. :frown:
Original post by examhater44
Guys what will the grade boundaries be? it was a difficult paper imo i think around 51-52 considering jan 17 was 49 and wasnt as difficult. What do u guys think tho

Tbh I thought Jan 17 was much harder than this one. :/ It could be around 51-52. I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending