The Student Room Group

What do you think about mental illness?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jessika300599
Is your name Jessika too? Bless you, you must be so proud of that :h:.

In response to your cake though, no, not everyone is neurotypical. But not everyone has heart conditions, yet they seem to be understood perfectly fine. Would you make a heart attack survivor a cake with a message mocking their condition on top? No, I didn't think so.

who said i'm mocking a 'condition'?
In answer to thread title, Yes.
Also, mental illnesses are not a choice.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Very few topics where I'm not open to other points of view, and this is one of them.
Yeah cos i totally chose to have PTSD :redface:
That's not what a lot of the older generation think. They think the answer is to just "get on with life" like they had to when they were our age.

But that's where majority of cases lie - with old people. (e.g. dementia)
Original post by Fermion.
Yeah cos i totally chose to have PTSD :redface:

Wow. How'd it happen?
Reply 25
Short answer = yes.
Long answer = yes, end of.
Original post by angelike1
Wow. How'd it happen?

I had a very traumatic event happen to me when I was 8 years old.
Reply 27
Quite a few people acknowledge mental illness as a concept but the reality is they don't believe it's long lasting. It's like that thing that you had that one time when you were low..but you have friends and a job etc so now you must be totally fine 🙄 Only yesterday I read a comment from someone saying that another person's PTSD couldn't be "that bad" if they could hold down a full time job. So discrimination and ignorance come from both sides of the issue - those who have no experience of mental illness and those who have it.

I have dx of complex ptsd, which I'm open about. People still think it's something I have a choice over. That I'm "choosing" to dwell on traumatic events and "there's people who have been through worse". Very recently I fell out with a friend because they give me no room to have memory loss and cognitive dysfunctions even though my full diagnosis (which they know and understand through their job) shows that I am impaired that way.

So this topic is completely relevant. And in broader sense there are many people who confuse depression with sadness, believe bipolar is simply mood swings, believe ptsd is just for soldiers etc etc
@EternalLight oh look, another time for you to shine.
This. The minute people start to mock mental illness of don't consider it as important because there are people who 'fake' it, I want to punch their lights out.

Don't even get me started on people whose replies to people in distress are 'Just get over it', 'Try to cheer up', and 'Go ask for antidepressants/prozac'. Absolute ****ing idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
@EternalLight oh look, another time for you to shine.

I think I learned my lesson from last time. I have a better understanding of it now.
is there some literature on this "mental illness is choice" theory, because I'm yet to come across it :moon:

The way I see it, you can get apathetic and then slide into decline, but there are things you can do to help yourself, sometimes the external factors are beyond your control/too overwhelming though so IDK
Original post by EternalLight
I think I learned my lesson from last time. I have a better understanding of it now.

Thank ****.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Thank ****.

I admit I was being a little short sighted and naive. I have no shame in admitting when I am wrong.
Original post by EternalLight
I admit I was being a little short sighted and naive. I have no shame in admitting when I am wrong.

Congrats on the progress.
Original post by angelike1
But that's where majority of cases lie - with old people. (e.g. dementia)

Dementia isn't a mental health problem.
[QUOTE=HollieGreenwood;71645730]I think it's real, but I don't think it's an illness - it's something that's a part of you, that you can't help.

I honestly wish mental health was understood more, I've heard people at school 'flinging around' terms that they don't understand and think it's all a joke, and it makes me so upset as this just dimishes the whole thing :frown:

Can you expand on this?
I mean it's difficult to understand fully if you haven't experienced it. My parents arent very supportive of my sisters depression, they don't think it's a "thing"
Original post by Tiger Rag
Dementia isn't a mental health problem.

Hmmm yeah guess youre right.
I feel like those who don't think that they are have never actually experienced one or appreciated how they can affect a person's ability to live.
The 'mental illness is choice' theory is just ridiculous in my opinion. Why would anyone choose to put themselves in that much pain? Surely making the conscious decision to not be happy would mean they do not have a healthy mind anyway, which just counteracts that silly argument.

I believe 100% in mental distress, and I cannot see why others do not believe in that, or that it is not real to the person experiencing it. However, I'm not sure I 100% believe in mental illness. I don't think that mental health diagnoses are entirely helpful in all cases, and I disagree with how psychiatric diagnoses are created.

Quick Reply

Latest