The Student Room Group

Self teaching A-Level chemistry and Biology within a year. Recommended books?

So I'm thinking about Self teaching A level chemistry and biology within the one year time period as my college won't allow me to skip AS.
(Currently am doing maths further maths and physics)

Are there any good books for chemistry and Biology for the new specification for AQA.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaimeJamerson
So I'm thinking about Self teaching A level chemistry and biology within the one year time period as my college won't allow me to skip AS.

Are there any good books for chemistry and Biology for the new specification for AQA.

Thanks

Respect for you if you do self-teach!! :smile:
Original post by Philip-flop
Respect for you if you do self-teach!! :smile:

Thanks :smile:. I've heard its hard but my tutor has said that it is possible, so I would like to try. I also want a head start by starting in the summer so there isn't too much stress in the following year for me when I have to take the exams as I will be learning the course within a year.
tailored tutors and snaprevise
Original post by noor.m
tailored tutors and snaprevise

Bump
well ik people who use cgp guide so those are good and use the regular class textbooks although they ramble a bit
Original post by DreamerBeliever
well ik people who use cgp guide so those are good and use the regular class textbooks although they ramble a bit

Could you provide links via amazon?

I've also heard there are practical endorsements and there is a paper based on the practical side. Does anyone know how I will learn this? I know a 3AT center can do the practical endorsement but do they also teach you the skills for paper 3?

I've also heard there are practical endorsements and there is a paper based on the practical side. Does anyone know how I will learn this? I know a 3AT center can do the practical endorsement but do they also teach you the skills for paper 3?

There are plenty of resources online about the practicals on the exam board websites and also the CGP books seem to cover them too.
There are plenty of resources online about the practicals on the exam board websites and also the CGP books seem to cover them too.

Do you think it would be useful buying anything from this site? https://zigzageducation.co.uk/search?q=AQA+biology+a+level

Thanks

How will you do the required practicals? Is your school allowing you to do all twelve of them?
Original post by Reality Check
How will you do the required practicals? Is your school allowing you to do all twelve of them?

I'm not doing it with my college. I am doing it externally with a 3AT center.
Do I have to do the AS and A2 to get the separate certificate?
Even I'm self-teaching myself these subjects. So far, its not been that bad.
What exam board are you doing?
Okay, should've read your post properly. The answer is there :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DrAwesome123
Even I'm self-teaching myself these subjects. So far, its not been that bad.
What exam board are you doing?

What exam board are you on for Biology? Are you doing your A2 exams this summer?
I'm not doing it with my college. I am doing it externally with a 3AT center.
Do I have to do the AS and A2 to get the separate certificate?

You have 12 required practicals which you *need to do, and which you are examined on at the end of the course. There is a possibility of just learning the practicals and taking the exam that way. However, you will not be awarded the Practical component part of the exam this way.

However, and this is important, for the vast majority of courses at uni etc which require A level chemistry, there is a requirement that you have passed the Practical component. Thus, whilst it is possible to pass well without doing the required practicals, this would effectively leave you with a worthless A level for many purposes. In other words, you really need to make arrangements for doing the required practicals at a centre as an external candidate.
What exam board are you on for Biology? Are you doing your A2 exams this summer?

I'm doing AQA for all subjects. Nope, I'll be taking all of my exams next summer.
Original post by Reality Check
You have 12 required practicals which you *need to do, and which you are examined on at the end of the course. There is a possibility of just learning the practicals and taking the exam that way. However, you will not be awarded the Practical component part of the exam this way.

However, and this is important, for the vast majority of courses at uni etc which require A level chemistry, there is a requirement that you have passed the Practical component. Thus, whilst it is possible to pass well without doing the required practicals, this would effectively leave you with a worthless A level for many purposes. In other words, you really need to make arrangements for doing the required practicals at a center as an external candidate.

Yes I do know that most universities require it however in Europe, the medical universities only want BB minimum in biology and chemistry, no practical endorsement.

Can I do the 12 practicals without doing the AS papers? Just to make sure, its 12 practical per a level?
Yes I do know that most universities require it however in Europe, the medical universities only want BB minimum in biology and chemistry, no practical endorsement.

Can I do the 12 practicals without doing the AS papers? Just to make sure, its 12 practical per a level?

Do you mean 'do them' as in physically do them, or learn them for the examination?

If the former, then it would be up to the centre where you are doing it as an external candidate. They would charge for them, and it would depend on resources and how they would fit in with the school or centre's normal activities and commitments.

Quick Reply

Latest