The Student Room Group

Maths Grade Boundaries 2017 (Edexcel)

Hi, what grade boundaries are your schools thinking for the maths 9-1?
My school thinks around 24 will be a 6 (as it was the average mark for the higher mock) but it seems too low.

Please post what your schools are thinking the grade boundaries will be

Scroll to see replies

my school thinks that 25 marks is a 5
and 30 marks is a 6
The 6 will be around 25 ish as that is where the grade 5 finishes.
Reply 3
Original post by Mavro
My school thinks around 24 will be a 6 (as it was the average mark for the higher mock) but it seems too low.

If your school is using the nationwide mock results directly to estimate grade boundaries for the real thing then that's pretty silly. The mocks were taken before a lot of students had finished the course and students don't revise for mocks as much as they do for the real thing. So performance in the real exam is obviously going to be better.

It's really hard to predict the grade boundaries since they're based on how students did on the real exam nationally. Any "predictions" could be wildly wrong so I don't see much point in making predictions.
Original post by Mavro

We aren't wasting any time on this. Far better to focus on revising for papers 2 and 3 ...
Reply 5
25 will definitely not be a level 6 that's more like a level 2-3 mate
Reply 6
25 for a level 6.... what a funny joke.

23 Level 4
33 Level 5
43 Level 6
54 Level 7
65 Level 8
75+ Level 9

is what my school used.
Reply 7
is this per paper
Reply 8
Original post by ilzo21
is this per paper

yes
Maybe percent. But 53/80 is crazy high for grade 7. 50% of the paper is grade 7 and above. Last year you needed 65% for an A when only 25% of the paper was grade A-A*. The pixel curve and edexcel data won't be too far off. Add 5 marks to them both. Max given that paper.
Original post by Mark 19841
Maybe percent. But 53/80 is crazy high for grade 7. 50% of the paper is grade 7 and above. Last year you needed 65% for an A when only 25% of the paper was grade A-A*. The pixel curve and edexcel data won't be too far off. Add 5 marks to them both. Max given that paper.

Herein lies the problem, we don't know what each grade is. Which is why some CLARITY would be nice, I'm looking at you here Mr GOVE
Reply 11
Our school has used 125 as a 7 across all 3 papers. 155 for an 8. Not too sure about the lower grades. I think it was around 90 for a 6. All predictions obviously
Original post by Dbsbgc
Our school has used 125 as a 7 across all 3 papers. 155 for an 8. Not too sure about the lower grades. I think it was around 90 for a 6. All predictions obviously

155 for an 8? Lol at my school you needed 156 for a 7! My school does have exceedingly high grade boundaries though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Lemur14
155 for an 8? Lol at my school you needed 156 for a 7! My school does have exceedingly high grade boundaries though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 155 for an 8. They're part of the Pixl group so I think that's where they got them from
Original post by Dbsbgc
Yeah 155 for an 8. They're part of the Pixl group so I think that's where they got them from

We're part of the PIXL group. After their grade boundaries last June with 138/240 as a 9 they made their own grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
if get 60/80 in each paper so 180/240 would that secure a 7?
Original post by monzer
if get 60/80 in each paper so 180/240 would that secure a 7?

I reckon 60 out of 80 on each would certainly secure you a 7 seeing as at my school I get around 45 on each paper and I've been around a 6 so far...
Reply 17
Any updated predicted grade boundaries for a 7 after seeing paper 1 and 2?
Original post by monzer
any updated predicted grade boundaries for a 7 after seeing paper 1 and 2?

my teacher is very confident on her grade boundaries as she is head of maths and has been an examiner for 10 years
her predictions;
5=25
6=33/34
7=42
Reply 19
2 marks = f
10 marks = g
20 marks = e
30 = c
40 = b
50 = a
70 = a*