The Student Room Group

Scottish Universities

My husband and I are both scottish. Lived there until we were 25. We have been living in Dubai for past 3 years now. We have a son who was born in scotland and lived there for around 2.5 years. Although all his education is being taught in Dubai, will he still be eligable for free university as he is scottish born?
Original post by Beadzyyy
My husband and I are both scottish. Lived there until we were 25. We have been living in Dubai for past 3 years now. We have a son who was born in scotland and lived there for around 2.5 years. Although all his education is being taught in Dubai, will he still be eligable for free university as he is scottish born?

Scotland probably won't have free tuition by the time your son is 18. But if they do, and if you still live abroad, then no, he would not qualify for free tuition.

To qualify for free tuition in Scotland you need have lived in the UK for the three years immediately before your university course starts, and be an ordinary resident in Scotland. Being a British citizen (or indeed Scottish-born) does not entitle you to anything.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest