The Student Room Group

CONSERVATIVE party one step closer to DITCHING Human Rights laws

:rant:

Just days after a UK gay couple won equal pension LGBT rights from the Supreme court thanks to EU human right laws being applied to UK citizens. The Conservative party are getting ready **** on the parade.

From the Guardian
The government has set itself on a collision course with opposition parties by insisting that it will not bring the EU charter of fundamental rights into domestic law on Brexit day.

The EU (withdrawal) bill, published on Thursday known as the “great repeal bill”– which will formally enact Brexit, includes a clause which says: “The charter of fundamental rights is not part of domestic law on or after exit day.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/13/great-repeal-bill-human-rights-clause-sets-up-brexit-clash-with-labour

The Conservative Party are a disgrace. Will the fair and liberal minded Conservatives please stand up? for **** sake and stop letting the Conservative Right-Wing and the Right-Wing DUP run this show? cheers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The current administration is abysmal compared with the Cameron government. Personally, I believe that either a fracture or re alignment of the Torys towards a centrist such as Kenneth Clarke would be a healthy change. By the way, the Tory-Lib dem's introduced gay marriage :tongue:.
(edited 6 years ago)
The Conservatives have gone purple to take the UKIP votes and the Labour has gone green and yellow to take the Green and SNP vote. But at least the Green/SNP vote doesn't weaken your rights and liberties. This is really worrying.
Reply 3
This country prides itself for its record on human rights, we’re the ones who dove appetite for human rights - that along with our passion for free trade isn’t going to die with brexit. These are British values, this is what we fought for, if the government diminishes any sort of human rights they won’t get away with it. Ministers will stop it immediately, worse comes to worse the Conservative party will rebel.

Brexit is all about building on British values, we don’t want to end human rights we want it in our jurisdiction. We don’t want to be isolated we want to be more global, think of it on a scale of 0-5, our relationship with North Korea is 0, our relationship with the EU is 5, our relationship with Canada is a 2. By sacrificing our relationship with the EU to a 4 we can build strong links (in the 3-4 region) with Canada, America, Australia, India and many others.

We want to be embolden by our past, we share our identity with the countries like Australia, Canada and America, it’s only natural we’d like to see closer links. The EU is an institution built on British values, we’re not prepared to abdon that.

Keeping up with politics then taking a step back and peaking in once again (which is what I’ve done) shows you just how overreactive people are.
We still have the Human Rights Act 1998 and Equality Act 2010, neither are EU laws.
Original post by Meany Pie
We still have the Human Rights Act 1998 and Equality Act 2010, neither are EU laws.

*EU directives.
Original post by The Asian Tory
*EU directives.

I really don't care, my point remains the same.
I really don't care, my point remains the same.

I was not disputing the fundamentals of your argument.
Reply 8
Original post by Funkinwolf
The Conservatives have gone purple to take the UKIP votes and the Labour has gone green and yellow to take the Green and SNP vote. But at least the Green/SNP vote doesn't weaken your rights and liberties. This is really worrying.

What do the SNP, Greens and Labour have in common?

They want us to be a weak, defenceless nation without our nukes - now that is a worrying prospect!

I'm glad the greens barely scrapped 2% in the election, and I'm glad my tactical voting got the SNP scalped. They get what they deserved, and with Labour they only won because of the tories manifesto, and Theresa hiding away.
Original post by zayn008
This country prides itself for its record on human rights, we’re the ones who dove appetite for human rights - that along with our passion for free trade isn’t going to die with brexit. These are British values, this is what we fought for, if the government diminishes any sort of human rights they won’t get away with it. Ministers will stop it immediately, worse comes to worse the Conservative party will rebel.

Brexit is all about building on British values, we don’t want to end human rights we want it in our jurisdiction. We don’t want to be isolated we want to be more global, think of it on a scale of 0-5, our relationship with North Korea is 0, our relationship with the EU is 5, our relationship with Canada is a 2. By sacrificing our relationship with the EU to a 4 we can build strong links (in the 3-4 region) with Canada, America, Australia, India and many others.

We want to be embolden by our past, we share our identity with the countries like Australia, Canada and America, it’s only natural we’d like to see closer links. The EU is an institution built on British values, we’re not prepared to abdon that.

Keeping up with politics then taking a step back and peaking in once again (which is what I’ve done) shows you just how overreactive people are.

Ok sorry but I could write a mini essay on why that is a load of rubbish. The UK government since 1997, Labour and Conservative have had to change policy or law because it clashed with Human Right laws. There has been many cases where the government majority would have let them if it was not for the constitutional convention of not ignoring the courts. I'm not trusting the government, that's the reason why we have human right laws and a court system.

Sorry that's wrong. The UK Human Rights act is a legal mumbo jumbo that simply gets the UK Parliament to tell the UK courts 'hey mate, can you obey European laws on human rights? cheers'. The rights upheld in Human right cases by UK citizens are not based on UK law, they are based on the European Convention of Human Rights. European law. The UK Courts are just empowered by the UK to interpret said European laws. The 'gay cake' case in Northern Ireland was won by the gay couple sourcing EU law, not UK law.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Reformed2010

The Conservative Party are a disgrace. Will the fair and liberal minded Conservatives please stand up? for **** sake and stop letting the Conservative Right-Wing and the Right-Wing DUP run this show? cheers.

I believe you misunderstood the article. The Torries want to ditch the European conventions on human rights which have nothing do to with UN declaration of human rights but the EU insists for every member to join it.

The problem is with this conventions are the ECHR Court in Strasbourg which is notorious for its ruling. Among other it ruled gay marriages are not human rights and it does not allows better punishment of criminals. Russia is also one of the signatory of the ECHR.
Ok sorry but I could write a mini essay on why that is a load of rubbish. The UK government since 1997, Labour and Conservative have had to change policy or law because it clashed with Human Right laws. There has been many cases where the government majority would have let them if it was not for the constitutional convention of not ignoring the courts. I'm not trusting the government, that's the reason why we have human right laws and a court system.

Sorry that's wrong. The UK Human Rights act is a legal mumbo jumbo that simply gets the UK Parliament to tell the UK courts 'hey mate, can you obey European laws on human rights? cheers'. The rights upheld in Human right cases by UK citizens are not based on UK law, they are based on the European Convention of Human Rights. European law. The UK Courts are just empowered by the UK to interpret said European laws. The 'gay cake' case in Northern Ireland was won by the gay couple sourcing EU law, not UK law.

I think that we need a proper, comprehensive,non- bas(tardised)ized and pragmatic (non-ideological) human rights law similar to the EU directive on human rights that all 4 main parties unanimously agree on, which the supreme court interprets to set out the parameters of law and order.
(edited 6 years ago)
By the way, the Tory-Lib dem's introduced gay marriage :tongue:.

And the majority of Tories voted against it. It would not have been able to be passed without Labour. Saying this proves nothing about how "progressive" the Tory-Lib Dem coalition was.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
And the majority of Tories voted against it. It would not have been able to be passed without Labour. Saying this proves nothing about how "progressive" the Tory-Lib Dem coalition was.

I am not suggesting that the entire Tory party is progressive, in fact I disagree with the majority of MP views, I am illustrating how their are progressive factions in the Tory party which complement the Lib dems and Blairite economic and social standpoints.
Original post by .A_C.

They want us to be a weak, defenceless nation without our nukes - now that is a worrying prospect!

What? Like that pathetic defenceless country Germany? I really wish little Islanders would accept that we lost our empire over 50 years ago and will never win the world cup again.

We are a little Island in a big world and our strength is in collaborating and looking outwards, not cowering behind a wall.
The 'gay cake' case in Northern Ireland was won by the gay couple sourcing EU law, not UK law.

You could not be more wrong. That case would not have been won by the gays anywhere else in the UK as it relied on NI law, in which political beliefs are a protected characteristic. Had the shop been located in Edinburgh, London or Cardiff the shop would have won the case. Nowhere else in the UK has made politicval belief a protected characteristic.
I think that we need a proper, comprehensive,non- bas(tardised)ized and pragmatic (non-ideological) human rights law similar to the EU directive on human rights that all 4 main parties unanimously agree on, which the supreme court interprets to set out the parameters of law and order.

We already have that. It is called the Human Rights Act.
Good. These "human rights" laws are just a bunch of leftie globalist SJW identity politics nonsense designed to destroy traditional British culture.
Reply 18
I support it because the EU fundamentals rights charter is based on far leftist anti traditional ideology.
You have to remember that ditching a specific human rights laws is not the same as ditching human rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending