The Student Room Group

Why are some people on here so against "soft" subjects?

Even people that haven't even studied them say that they are easy but I doubt some of them now could just do a law or psychology exam. They might not be as hard as others but they aren't easy. Plus these are generally going to be new subjects for people so obviously won't start with the hardest stuff compared the sciences which people would have been doing for a lot longer already.

Scroll to see replies

there is nothing wrong with less academic subjects. it is horses for courses.
I'm guessing you failed GCSE science and maths?
Original post by Xenon17

Nope. Just find other subjects more interesting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Photography is not easy? Oh please give me a break, all you need is camera, take pictures of crap and sketch them. Easy!
I ageee with you OP.

I think a lot of people are against the soft subjects, especially on this website is because they think STEM subjects are the be all, end all. They think that STEM subjects are the best and some don't even consider the worth of other subjects.

You can't really claim that one subject is harder than another because it's subjective and often, the subjects are just too different to compare them like that.
Original post by The RAR
Photography is not easy? Oh please give me a break, all you need is camera, take pictures of crap and sketch them. Easy!

That is not what photography is. Photography is an art. There are famous photographs that have become iconic because of the talent put into them.
Here is the thing OP. Our society is dominated by technology and new scientific discoveries being made. Therefore, a lot of emphasis is put on STEM subjects. A lot of people think subjects that encourage imagination and creativity are useless in a technological age.
Original post by Xenon17

I know people who achieved A's and A*'s in GCSE's and still failed their Chemistry and Biology A levels .
Original post by constantine2016
Here is the thing OP. Our society is dominated by technology and new scientific discoveries being made. Therefore, a lot of emphasis is put on STEM subjects. A lot of people think subjects that encourage imagination and creativity are useless in a technological age.

But with technology you need someone to design and make the prouduct who has creative and artistic aptitude. There's no point having all the coding for an iPhone if there is no one to design the graphics or model. It's the combination of both academic fields that allow us to progress, the superiority complex some STEM students hold will only negate such progress eventually.
Original post by tequilarosee
But with technology you need someone to design and make the prouduct who has creative and artistic aptitude. There's no point having all the coding for an iPhone if there is no one to design the graphics or model. It's the combination of both academic fields that allow us to progress, the superiority complex some STEM students hold will only negate such progress eventually.

The whole design process is then part of the whole advertising of the product. No point in making a product of you can't make a good advert.
Original post by Goldfish4343
The whole design process is then part of the whole advertising of the product. No point in making a product of you can't make a good advert.

Exactly !!
On the one hand, it can't be denied that certain subjects are harder than others, and take more time, energy and talent to excel in. It also can't be denied that certain subjects are in much greater demand by employers by others, and will lead to far greater success and more lucrative careers after graduation.

On the other hand, not everyone can (or should) be an engineer, doctor or mathematician. It's just ridiculous to assert otherwise. We also need writers, social workers, police officers, lawyers and business people. Subjects outside of STEM also have value, and they are by no means easy.
Because people think their self-worth is determined by the subjects you take, the grades you receive and your ability to memorise a mark scheme. Don't worry, these people tend to crash and burn at some point in their life.
I don't know, if you're not great at maths and science you're suddenly unacademic. People that claim some subjects are "soft" fail to realise that everyone has their own individual talents outside STEM subjects. For example, someone taking maths could be awful at writing the essays needed for success in "soft" subjects. We need people that are good at maths, scientists, doctors, lawyers, psychologists, photographers, authors and artists etc. I don't understand the bitterness people taking STEM subjects have towards those that don't lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Goldfish4343
Even people that haven't even studied them say that they are easy but I doubt some of them now could just do a law or psychology exam. They might not be as hard as others but they aren't easy. Plus these are generally going to be new subjects for people so obviously won't start with the hardest stuff compared the sciences which people would have been doing for a lot longer already.

Because something has happened in the past 20 years or so which means we're obsessed with maths and science to the relative exclusion of the humanities. Other countries think it's bizarre that most school-leavers have only a passing familiarity with history, art and literature - those subjects which civilise us. And I'm talking as a scientist myself here.

This soft/hard subjects is about as meaningless as soft/hard Brexit. It means nothing concrete.
there are always people that look down on different fields of study - ie my physics teacher resents biology and I countered him by saying ' without biology medics wouldn't be able to help people, etc' and he just dismissed my point. Do what you love because you love it, doesnt matter what physicist has got to say about it.
STEM people need to realise that if people suddenly stopped taking "soft subjects", there'd be no such thing as media, graphics, films, books, etc. Yes, I understand that STEM subjects are in demand at the moment, but scrutinising people and calling them stupid for taking "soft subjects" is both untrue, counterproductive and ridiculous. When we look at past civilisations, Ancient Greece for example, we look not only at their scientific discoveries, but also their writings, their art, and their means of expression. A civilisation is nothing without one of these things. We need all.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
STEM people need to realise that if people suddenly stopped taking "soft subjects", there'd be no such thing as media, graphics, films, books, etc. Yes, I understand that STEM subjects are in demand at the moment, but scrutinising people and calling them stupid for taking "soft subjects" is both untrue, counterproductive and ridiculous. When we look at past civilisations, Ancient Greece for example, we look not only at their scientific discoveries, but also their writings, their art, and their means of expression. A civilisation is nothing without one of these things. We need all.

Exactly. They would complain so much if anything that wasn't STEM went away yet they are the ones degrading ones that haven't done STEM.
Is there anyone on here that can answer why they think STEM subjects are the best?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending