The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cubone-r
I find Southerners rude and condescending, especially the women and especially those from London (I'm from the South myself, but have lived up North for some time). The South West is alright (i.e. Dorset, Cornwall etc), I think it's the South East that is the problem.

It's overcrowded, it's £8.49 for a pint and £11 for a vodka mixer in a club, everything is just generally more expensive. I would never want to live in the South East permanently, definitely going to set up camp up North somewhere. The people are just that much more friendlier, you can get exactly the same stuff there but 3x cheaper. Plus you have the advantage of being close to the majority of the natural beauty that the UK has to offer in the countryside.

Fair enough, I am sorry for your experience with the women ngl alot of us are nice tho
Not from this country, but lived in the North for almost all of my stay in the UK. I can conclude that the North is more of a getaway, it's less congested, plenty of countryside, open space, it's quite pleasant, and the people are too, they're friendly and welcoming. The only thing you have to watch out for is the accents. That, I did not prepare for when I came to this country.

Then again, this is the UK we are talking about, so practically every accent catches me off guard
The North, specifically Yorkshire is better.
Original post by Boredom101
Fair enough, I am sorry for your experience with the women ngl alot of us are nice tho

Oh I don't doubt that! I was just unlucky.. :P
Original post by bobby147
Northerners are friendly I would say.

I'm from NI. I would agree with this. Southeners from England are usually very nice and polite but not always straight with you. The people I met from Northern England are friendly too usually but always straight with you. So if they like you you feel it's genunie. If they don't they don't pretend. Irish people tend to like that more.
South west here and i live in a pretty posh town. Some of the farmers are really nice but some horrible"farmer chavs". I'm pretty well spoken if not a bit mumbly and if i went up north people would think im posh and southern as **** but my mum actually cones from Cheshire and my dad liverpool. On the street I'm not the friendliest looking person but I am polite when I have tge chance like letting an old lady passing on a scooter ect.
Original post by Connor27
The North, specifically Yorkshire is better.

I schooled in North Yorkshire tbh, I found it to be an interesting experience, but I still believe the south is better imo
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
North of the northerners is better:smile:
I schooled in North Yorkshire tbh, I found it to be an interesting experience, but I still believe the south is better

I think the North and South suite different kinds of people. I don't believe one is better than the other. I think it's just a preference. :smile:
I think the North and South suite different kinds of people. I don't believe one is better than the other. I think it's just a preference. :smile:

Fair enough but I guess everyone's experience is different. My experience wasnt amazing tbh. But i guess I should have put "in my experience" at the end of that.
I'm from the South East myself, lived there during my childhood and teenage years.. I just had horrible experiences down there. Once I moved up North it felt much more like home and a place where I could be myself ya know (I felt like Harry Potter haha). I know there are some lovely people from the SE, but I just don't feel comfortable or at home there. Things like overcrowding, long queues for things, more expensive shopping, etc can really affect your quality of life.

I see, the things you mentioned have never affected me so we probably have very different experiences. Tbh whenever I've been up north I've felt so out of place and also expect them to be friendlier than they are bc of the stereotype lol
Fair enough but I guess everyone's experience is different. My experience wasnt amazing tbh. But i guess I should have put "in my experience" at the end of that.

Haha yeah, I guess we're the same but opposite! We both had not so good experiences in one another's preference, lol :P
Original post by _princessxox
I see, the things you mentioned have never affected me so we probably have very different experiences. Tbh whenever I've been up north I've felt so out of place and also expect them to be friendlier than they are bc of the stereotype lol

Exactly, it all comes down to personal experience and everyone's experience is different. When I moved up North I felt like that I finally found my "people", haha! I always feel so out of place if I am ever visiting family back home in the South.

I guess differential experience is one of the main reasons there is political divide. :P
Original post by Furai
I was born and raised in Manchester, although I get told that I belong in the south constantly because of the way I speak haha. :biggrin: A lot of people seem to suggest that I should move to London or something and they seem surprised when I tell them that am actually from Manchester.

But regardless I have been to the south many times and it's not bad with the landscapes and food and education (although it could be cheaper in some of these areas), however the north is, imo atleast, a lot better when it comes to food, housing, work and people in general.

The north gets my vote.

I'm exactly the same. I live in Greater Manchester and everyone always tells me I sound southern because of the way I talk. I completely agree with your points about the North, everyone is so much more helpful and friendlier, and the food is nicer.
Haha yeah, I guess we're the same but opposite! We both had not so good experiences in one another's preference, lol :P

Yeah exactly, everyone's different :smile:
My mum lives almost as north as you can go and whilst people are friendly bc she lives in a village of a few thousand, the signal is absolutely dire and a significant lack of nandos restaurants
Yeah exactly, everyone's different :smile:

It's what makes the world go round after all.. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I'm exactly the same. I live in Greater Manchester and everyone always tells me I sound southern because of the way I talk. I completely agree with your points about the North, everyone is so much more helpful and friendlier, and the food is nicer.

It definitely is one of the best places in the north, if the north and south were two different countries then i'd say it could well be the capital of the north haha
Please do not feed the troll.

This is a mindless post - and anyone joining in is being equally dim.

It's overcrowded, it's £8.49 for a pint and £11 for a vodka mixer in a club,

You've been going to the wrong pubs mate. Even in London I've never paid more than a fiver for a pint (a fiver being extortionate pricing anyway).

Back in the day a pint used to cost me £2.90 in the South East, now it's around the £3.60 mark. Most expensive mixer I've seen is £7.20 for a double, but that's purely because the guy was trying to run a predominantly ale pub and didn't want the mixer market.

Latest