The Student Room Group

American Applying to Cam

Hey guys, so I'm interested in applying to Land econ but when looking at th admission requirement, I saw that they require five 5's which is quite frankly, absurd. I'm taking 4 ap classes Junior year, self studying French, and am considering self studing both econ courses for easy fives but i'm also worried about overloading myself. I noticed that only 21 Americans were accepted next year and so I'm wondering how many of those got in through AP's and IB program. Are there any american who made it in with the 5 5's. I've previously taken AP Human, AP World, AP Stats, and AP Bio and have gotten 4's on all of them, however besides stats they arent really related to econ. I plan on taking APUSH, AP BC, APES, and AP Lit next year, then Senior year is AP Physics, AP Lang, AP Gov and then go to the University for Calc 3, Arabic and Italian. If Junior year i get fives but not enough, is there a chance they'll overlook that and still interview me?
Reply 1
Original post by yasmine7123
Hey guys, so I'm interested in applying to Land econ but when looking at th admission requirement, I saw that they require five 5's which is quite frankly, absurd. I'm taking 4 ap classes Junior year, self studying French, and am considering self studing both econ courses for easy fives but i'm also worried about overloading myself. I noticed that only 21 Americans were accepted next year and so I'm wondering how many of those got in through AP's and IB program. Are there any american who made it in with the 5 5's. I've previously taken AP Human, AP World, AP Stats, and AP Bio and have gotten 4's on all of them, however besides stats they arent really related to econ. I plan on taking APUSH, AP BC, APES, and AP Lit next year, then Senior year is AP Physics, AP Lang, AP Gov and then go to the University for Calc 3, Arabic and Italian. If Junior year i get fives but not enough, is there a chance they'll overlook that and still interview me?

AFAIK if you are on target to get the 5 APs at the end of the course then an interview is reasonably likely.

But maybe @Peterhouse Admissions can give a better answer.

(And it would be interesting to know the typical success rate for American IB vs AP applicants...)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yasmine7123

Hi,

Thanks for asking. The typical entry requirements can be found at
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/usa. The most important thing is to be on track for 5 5s in relevant APs.

You're correct that there aren't many US applicants but this is mostly a function of the differences in the way US and UK universities and post-16 education works. In the UK, students focus on a few subjects from 16-18 and then study one or two subjects at university, starting in a lot of detail in the first year and graduating in 3 years rather than the broader 4 year courses more typical in the US. This is why our entrance requirements might seem steep - we require quite a bit of subject specific knowledge. US students can also find the fees in the UK quite costly with few bursaries avaialble compared to the costs of staying in the US. That said, we regularly make AP offers and accept American students.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending