The Student Room Group

EPQ and dentistry

I'm applying for dentistry this year, should i bother doing an EPQ? is it important enough and will it make me stand out
Probably not. I would do one if you want to.
Depends on whether you're good at balancing commitments, could you balance all your AS subjects well? I found the EPQ a lot of work mainly because I left it RIGHT to the end, but in all honestly had I actually done the work at the deadlines set it would be completely fine and manageable. If you can find a topic that really suits you you'll enjoy it very much, and it's a good filler in your personal statement if you don't have much extra curricular. However SO many people dropped out, and all in all only if your a VERY organised and SELF-MOTIVATED person should you do it.
Reply 3
Original post by Hafsahh
I'm applying for dentistry this year, should i bother doing an EPQ? is it important enough and will it make me stand out

I know plenty of people who didn't bother doing an EPQ. Probably better to have a rounded application. If you can manage it on top of A levels etc then great. Really not essential though and probably won't make a huge difference to getting a place.
I agree with everyone else in terms of it being a huge short term time commitment and not necessary. I however found it useful to discuss at interviews- as doing the EPQ forced me to read articles on current dental topics- which was invaluable in answering some questions.

Quick Reply

Latest