The Student Room Group

To those who do/have done 5 A-Levels, how did your school allow you?

I am vastly passionate about my education and value it very much, so I would love to have to opportunity to take up AS Further Maths, A-level Maths, A-level Biology, A-level Chemistry and A-level Physics. However, I've been looking around at sixth forms in my area to see what they offer, and some seem reluctant to let students do even 4 A-levels (at least that is the case for my school). For this reason, I would like to ask those who do/have done 5 A-Levels, how did your school let you do them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zereux
I am vastly passionate about my education and value it very much, so I would love to have to opportunity to take up AS Further Maths, A-level Maths, A-level Biology, A-level Chemistry and A-level Physics. However, I've been looking around at sixth forms in my area to see what they offer, and some seem reluctant to let students do even 4 A-levels (at least that is the case for my school). For this reason, I would like to ask those who do/have done 5 A-Levels, how did your school let you do them?

The reason they don't want you to do 5 A Levels is because the work load will be too much for you to handle, especially with the subjects you have chosen. I know right now it's hard to believe that A Levels are really that much of a step up from GCSEs, but they are. Listen to the people who know best - the teachers. 5 A Level science subjects is way too much.
Original post by Zereux

It depends on the college. One college I applied to allowed me to do 5 subjects, despite the fact I already have A-level Maths and AS Further Maths (which would mean I go to uni with 6 complete A-levels). Having a predicted grade sheet of all 9s and A*s probably helped (not that I'm going to get 9s for English...). However, the other college I applied to (the one I'm actually going to) said that while they would allow me to do 5, they strongly discourage me from doing that many - they think doing enrichment stuff is more valuable at that point, which I kinda agree with. After all, who the heck needs 6 A-levels?!?

There is little benefit in doing 5. You only really need 3 for uni. A*A*A* is better than BBBBB.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
It depends on the college. One college I applied to allowed me to do 5 subjects, despite the fact I already have A-level Maths and AS Further Maths (which would mean I go to uni with 6 complete A-levels). Having a predicted grade sheet of all 9s and A*s probably helped (not that I'm going to get 9s for English...). However, the other college I applied to (the one I'm actually going to) said that while they would allow me to do 5, they strongly discourage me from doing that many - they think doing enrichment stuff is more valuable at that point, which I kinda agree with. After all, who the heck needs 6 A-levels?!?

There is little benefit in doing 5. You only really need 3 for uni. A*A*A* is better than BBBBB.

You took your A-level Maths in Year 11?
God I hate students that are always so extra
Original post by Zereux

I am doing the exact same subjects as you wish to do. Schools letting you do more than 4 A-Levels is extremely rare because of the workload and with the new linear A-Levels being introduced you may find it difficult to find sixth forms that will allow you to do more than 3 A-Levels.
The way I have managed to do those A-Levels is because I did my AS maths in year 11 and have managed to finish my A2 just this year. I took bio, chem and phys from year 12 and will be 'filling' the maths space with AS further maths from the beginning of year 13.

Honestly, just choose three and really focus on them. That way you're more likely to get better grades and more time to make your uni application look sexy
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zereux
You took your A-level Maths in Year 11?

Yep. Just did it. I had two years of lessons at the college I'm going to next year. So when I leave, I'll be able to say I've been an official student there for 4 years xD.
Reply 7
Yep. Just did it. I had two years of lessons at the college I'm going to next year. So when I leave, I'll be able to say I've been an official student there for 4 years xD.

Jesus man. I would love to be able to take my A-Level Maths in Year 11, but my school would be far from agreeing to it... those cynical *******s! Aha
I asked about three weeks after starting and they let me pick up a fifth subject.
Original post by butfirst_coffee
God I hate students that are always so extra

truss me im here stressing about studying 3 a levels and an EPQ
Original post by Zereux
Jesus man. I would love to be able to take my A-Level Maths in Year 11, but my school would be far from agreeing to it... those cynical *******s! Aha

Yeah - I was lucky that my school made the provisions to do it. I did end up missing Core PE and PSHE to attend college, but they figured I needed a challenge and somewhere to put my skills, and that was more important than practising rolling a condom onto a zucchini xD.

Wait... conspiracy theory! What if they did that because they think I'll never be in a position to use a condom xD?
The main question should be why would you want to do that many A-levels? college is mostly a stepping stone to university. Just do what you need to do in order to get into university. Why would you want to go all that extra distance?
Reply 12
Yeah - I was lucky that my school made the provisions to do it. I did end up missing Core PE and PSHE to attend college, but they figured I needed a challenge and somewhere to put my skills, and that was more important than practising rolling a condom onto a zucchini xD.

Wait... conspiracy theory! What if they did that because they think I'll never be in a position to use a condom xD?

WHAT, YOU GOT TO MISS CORE PE AND PSHE?! You are one lucky man.

Perhaps they don't believe yourself stupid enough to go round getting girls pregnant at 16, and to be fair safe-sex and putting on a condom is pretty self-explanatory if you have some common sense.
Reply 13
Original post by Zereux

I have a rather strange situation in that I did 5AS and 4A2, but I was doing the workload of 5AS/A2 in Year 13 (full Further Maths A-level plus three other A2s. Also some parts of Welsh Bacc, which I was eventually allowed to drop with the excuse that I didn't have time - really I just hated it). I basically just had to ask to do Further Maths, and it was allowed. Indeed, I was technically allowed to do it alongside the 4A2s from the AS I'd taken in Year 12 and Welsh Bacc, but I knew that would just be ridiculous, so dropped History at A2. It's a very school/college dependent thing, but hopefully if you have good results behind you and your teachers believe you can do it you should have a chance. Perhaps you would need to just do the standard Maths/Science at AS and perform well, and you would be allowed to do Further Maths AS in Year 13. Or some schools may allow you to do the full Maths A-level in one year.
Original post by Zereux
WHAT, YOU GOT TO MISS CORE PE AND PSHE?! You are one lucky man.

Perhaps they don't believe yourself stupid enough to go round getting girls pregnant at 16, and to be fair safe-sex and putting on a condom is pretty self-explanatory if you have some common sense.

One time I didn't have college, I had to sit in the PSHE lesson. But it was the England vs Wales football game so everyone was watching that. We were given PSHE textbooks "just in case the senior management come round" (we weren't supposed to be watching it). Since I didn't care for football, I just read the book. Learned everything I need to know in one quick lesson.

To be honest, Core PE is a waste of time. All the unfit kids who really need it just sit there and do nothing anyway, and the people who actually care (like me) get most of their excercise outside of school.
I did Chemistry, Biology, History, Geography and Literature 2 years back. Its completely and utterly pointless in the sense that you end up burning yourself out (I certainly did). The enjoyment in the subjects completely left and I found myself studying until the early hours of the morning just to so the set work.

Stick to the 4AS-3A2 route if possible, thats what I am currently doing and its working a lot better. If you really want to take 5 AS levels, why not enquire about EPQ?

I am currently studying History, English literature, Politics, sociology and EPQ and I find it so much more manageable than an extra solid subject.
Reply 16

To be honest, Core PE is a waste of time. All the unfit kids who really need it just sit there and do nothing anyway, and the people who actually care (like me) get most of their excercise outside of school.

I have never related to a statement so much in my entire life. **** Core PE. Luckily I only have 2 hours a fortnight, but that's 2 hours I could be doing something genuinely productive!
Original post by Zereux
I have never related to a statement so much in my entire life. **** Core PE. Luckily I only have 2 hours a fortnight, but that's 2 hours I could be doing something genuinely productive!

In my school, they would give people several options and let them decide. So it usually worked out like this (generalizing a lot):

Football - Jocks, serious players

Basketball - Again, all serious players

Badminton - A few serious players and a lot of girls who "umpire" and do nothing

Trampolining - The sluts

Dodgeball - Everyone else. Half of them just deliberately get themselves out and sit there.

If the government think forcing teens to do sport at school will work, they're wrong. Us sneaky teens will always find a way out...
Reply 18
Original post by Zereux

That's way too many subjects. People can't even cope with 4 that's why most/nearly all schools won't allow 5. As if that's bad enough, they're all sciences and maths which are the hardest subjects alone. Do 4 or 3 instead because universities only require 3.
One time I didn't have college, I had to sit in the PSHE lesson. But it was the England vs Wales football game so everyone was watching that. We were given PSHE textbooks "just in case the senior management come round" (we weren't supposed to be watching it). Since I didn't care for football, I just read the book. Learned everything I need to know in one quick lesson.

Never read a statement more true than that.

Quick Reply

Latest